Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Duffy looks like he's modelled his running style to cliffy young
Amazing isn't how we are told there is enough talent in the country to support another team and maybe more games yet a team is willing to risk a spot on a guy from another country recovering from an ACL that has never played the game .. All the best to him but a strange world it is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven’t had time to read other posters’ reports from today so apologies for the likely overlap.

I left today’s session beaming. Grinning from ear to ear. A kind of lightness in my step and I could fair dinkum have skipped and not realised it.

One player just blew me away with his improvement. But more on that later….

Overall CLEARLY transition was the focus. And in particular a lot more forward handball than I recall which was exciting to see. The contact was very low but the work rate very high in intensity. The players were forced to play through the corridor too.

The turnaround in approach is nothing short of remarkable from early in the year. Gone are the defensive handballs out of packs and bringing the ball wide at all costs. The slow play. We saw again today why Lewis Young has been left behind. He just can’t move the ball on quickly enough. Perhaps I should deal with the other of the very few negatives. I was a smidge disappointed in Kemp. He still zoned off too often for my liking and his running is still rubbish. He was toward the tail of the second (slower) group in repeat 150s/200s at the end.

And that’s IT. The rest is all goodness and joy.

We have a collection of good decision making players who will revel in the transition game we are employing. From those who engaged fully today: Walsh, Cerra, both Hollands, Binns, Cotts and Cripps all chained well through the midfield.

Harry and Charlie actively seemed to work to give each other a lot of space and it looked superb.

Running drills comments: Oliver Hollands is every bit as good a runner as Cotts and Binns. He stuck with them on the first two. Won the third of four in the fastest time of any of the four sets. Made a point of finishing right alongside in the 4th. The Irish lad (can’t recall name yet sorry) finished just ahead of E Hollands and then Walsh.

Some player comments with our new AA player saved for last….

SOS- was great to see him out there, moving freely and not skipping a beat. He seems in great shape. Worth noting he and E Hollands were to run about 50m head to head in one of the simulations and SOs clearly had him covered. I think I learnt that E Hollands is not that fast and sos is in good shape all at the same time. Can’t see SOs missing any games when fit. Looked sharp

Motlop either didn’t do all drills or was missing a lot. I barely noticed him. Did a few clean things but just didn’t stand out.

O Hollands was absolutely outstanding. His efforts in the running drills came on the back of superb training. His link work is sensational. He looked slightly quicker. Stronger. He was just too good for them at many points. One more year on the wing (which is all his btw) and then into central midfield. He’s better than his brother. He just is.not sure I’d swap him for any player in that draft. Read that again.

E Hollands isn’t as good as O. But that doesn’t mean he’s not a good pickup. He’s not as good an athlete. But he reads it well. His endurance is superb. Hands great. Kicking good. He is right there for a spot. Perhaps fighting Cotts for the high half forward or Kennedy and Hewett for that mid spot.

Z Williams. Well **** me. If you’ve ever ran better and looked fitter it wasn’t at this club. Well done. Well ****ing done. What an outstanding rehab he’s conducted. Super fit. Moving brilliantly. Looks shredded. Can’t wait.

S Walsh. Trained like he had a point to prove. To who I have no idea. Lol. Looked to get forward more. Be more dangerous. He’s in great shape. Up there in the runs which given how much running he missed last summer is superb. Best season yet ahead for my boy.

Charlie. Lol. Just lol. He’s just way better than everyone else by miles and miles and miles. I see videos of him drinking all summer and then he comes out and in second gear plays like that. Too quick. Too agile. Too everything.

But the guy who blew me away from the moment I saw him through the window in warmup area was TDK. Wow. Holy shit. He has leaned up but not lost size. He easily won the runs in group two. He was flying. He looks absolutely set for the number 1 ruck position. Pitto didn’t pick the best time to be missing sessions. TDK is an AA ruck waiting to happen now. 2024 or 2025. He is just sensational. I would love to see he and sos take over the role full time.

What a superb session. Full of positives. I can’t see us not making too 2 next year. I just can’t.
TDK form a direct result of his massive preseason. He got much much fitter and it’s showing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back