Opinion The 'Carlton related stuff that doesn't need it's own thread' thread Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Jordan Lewis is on "on the coach". Starts off by complimenting us in a round about way. States how good our list, how many highly ranked players we gave etc.

Then frames it as 'will Carlton be deemed as a failure if they don't win a flag in the next few years".

With the team we have and the individual brilliance of the players we have … Yes… simply yes … i look around the competition and in my opinion there is no one that can go with us if we’re on song no one … its a failure if we don’t win at least 1 premiership in the next 3 years with this team …

Two Coleman medalists including the best forward of this generation, the best stopper in the AFL, Cripps Walsh TDK Cerra plus an unreal supporting cast….

The rest of the competition is cottoning on to what we’ve known for the past few years that when it finally clicks there’s no stopping us … it’s clicked and it’s time to win a premiership or two anything less will be seen as a waste …

We’re playing for pink slips now people! get used to the pressure of expectation

Betting agencies (plural), ESPN and afls Brownlow predictor all have cripps either 1 point behind, even with or a point or two in front of Heeney already.
I don't trust them a lot, they had Cripps on 20-25 votes in his Brownlow year when most reasonable Carlton supporters thought he'd be in the high 20s-early 30s. Credit where its due they did predict Neale's last year despite him being nowhere near the best player for the year.

I've got Heeney clear by a bit still but Cripps and Daicos closing fast.

I don't trust them a lot, they had Cripps on 20-25 votes in his Brownlow year when most reasonable Carlton supporters thought he'd be in the high 20s-early 30s. Credit where its due they did predict Neale's last year despite him being nowhere near the best player for the year.

4 in the race at this stage, Goatie, Cripps, Heeney Bont

Daicos 6 clear of Heeney in the Age award. Cripps equal 5th 17 votes behind. The media carried on a bit with the Heeney by how far early in the season. I personally doubted whether it was true or not. Great player that he is, historically he's never been a player to put together a strong consistent season.

Jordan Lewis is on "on the coach". Starts off by complimenting us in a round about way. States how good our list, how many highly ranked players we gave etc.

Then frames it as 'will Carlton be deemed as a failure if they don't win a flag in the next few years".
Lost interest after opening 2 words.

With the team we have and the individual brilliance of the players we have … Yes… simply yes … i look around the competition and in my opinion there is no one that can go with us if we’re on song no one … its a failure if we don’t win at least 1 premiership in the next 3 years with this team …

Two Coleman medalists including the best forward of this generation, the best stopper in the AFL, Cripps Walsh TDK Cerra plus an unreal supporting cast….

The rest of the competition is cottoning on to what we’ve known for the past few years that when it finally clicks there’s no stopping us … it’s clicked and it’s time to win a premiership or two anything less will be seen as a waste …

We’re playing for pink slips now people! get used to the pressure of expectation

Agree wholeheartedly with that, I reckon we let one slip last year.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He’s a ****wit like Ben ‘bombers will play in a prelim’ Dixon.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s a ****wit like Ben ‘bombers will play in a prelim’ Dixon.

I don't mind Lewis to be honest..he's far from being the worst and has the runs on the board to back up what he says.

I did like the part where they were talking about St Kilda. Lewis was talking about King, him not praising a team mate for a great tackle and what this says about the team culture. This was contrasted with one of Orazio's goals, with plenty of our boys getting around him, then Charlie running straight off the bench and running straight to Fantasia. Something small but it was a huge contrast

Agree wholeheartedly with that, I reckon we let one slip last year.

The team hadn’t played finals in how long? Let alone had the experience of winning one.

I don’t see us as having missed one last year - after the first qtr in the prelim we had no legs & were dealt with.

We needed last year obviously to bring belief for this year.

This year and the next few the chalice sit within our reach - last year I don’t believe it was.

The team hadn’t played finals in how long? Let alone had the experience of winning one.

I don’t see us as having missed one last year - after the first qtr in the prelim we had no legs & were dealt with.

We needed last year obviously to bring belief for this year.

This year and the next few the chalice sit within our reach - last year I don’t believe it was.

My point when I say that is I believe, and it’s my opinion, we should have played finals with the list we had even prior to 2022 when we definitely should have played finals.
We had underachieved, unquestionably.
In relation to last year, when you get the momentum we had across the back half of the season and the wave of support from over the fence after the start we had to last season that’s an intangible that rarely happens but when it does often takes you all the way. Like the dogs in 2016 or Hawks in 2008 or dare I say it the scum in 1993.
Would we have pinched it last year if we had of gone all the way, absolutely. No one would have stopped us on GF day, we just made it too hard for ourselves having to play a prelim against a battle hardened team on their own deck.

My point when I say that is I believe, and it’s my opinion, we should have played finals with the list we had even prior to 2022 when we definitely should have played finals.
In relation to last year, when you get the momentum we had across the back half of the season and the wave of support from over the fence after the start we had to last season that’s an intangible that rarely happens but when it does often takes you all the way. Like the dogs in 2016 or Hawks in 2008 or dare I say it the scum in 1993.
Would we have pinched it last year if we had of gone all the way, absolutely. No one would have stopped us on GF day, we just made it too hard for ourselves having to play a prelim against a battle hardened team on their own deck.

Noting & respecting your opinion, I disagree as you can tell.

I don’t think we were ready 2022, or last year for a tilt.

The evidence is in the pudding.

Post the difficult finish to 2022, our start to 2023 was ordinary, only waking up to our potential after round 13 or so.

I just think those stepping stones were needed to reach this point, now in discussion with Sydney as premiership favourites.

I’m one of those annoying glass half full types!

Looking back with regret only puts unneeded pressure on us now - let’s just be OK with what we’ve done & what we’re doing :).

I think the quest for a flag last year was amazing but we had sprinted to the line from so far out it left us with no wriggle room.

I think if we were privy to inside information a lot of the team were banged up and running on fumes.

It was an extraordinary effort possibly record breaking from 15th to 3rd but realistically a bridge too far.

This year with a consistent home and away performance is what I would consider our first proper attempt. 2022 we actually were still learning how to be a winning team let alone a hardened finals side.

I think the quest for a flag last year was amazing but we had sprinted to the line from so far out it left us with no wriggle room.

I think if we were privy to inside information a lot of the team were banged up and running on fumes.

It was an extraordinary effort possibly record breaking from 15th to 3rd but realistically a bridge too far.

This year with a consistent home and away performance is what I would consider our first proper attempt. 2022 we actually were still learning how to be a winning team let alone a hardened finals side.

I think the point is that the list was good enough.

That's a remarkable about face from your pre-season proclamation of "I don't trust us and I believe that we'll be in crisis by round 6 this season".

Started following Jeff White in Twitter/X. Posts 2 minute videos. His analysis of stoppages is very good Would recommend.
Link?

On SM-F946B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back