VFL Carlton Reserves 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Going to go out on a limb and suggest he's not particularly quick, or he'd have been drafted last year.
More untidy than slow J. Massive numbers and blitzed the likes of Windsor and Watson statistically at club level. Massive numbers as a mid/defender listed 180cm. One of those who just does the grunt and gets the pill, but lacking that finesse that gets the attention.

Great type to have access to in the reserves. Potential diamond in the rough.

Question for VFL watchers...

Out of the Carlton AFL listed players yet to play an AFL game, from what you've seen in the VFL, which ones do you think have the most potential and why?

Out of the Carlton AFL listed players yet to play an AFL game, from what you've seen in the VFL, which ones do you think have the most potential and why?
Excellent question.

For mine, if Moir can reach his potential, he could be anything. Hopefully he's got the hunger for it, cos that'd be the only thing which would hold him back. Has AFL qualities in spades.

Billy looks like he has the composure and speed to take it to the next level. He's definitely got the hunger, just needs time. Could become a running mid we've been screaming for, but doing an apprenticeship at half back.

Binns I'm not 100% convinced - looks more of a VFL than AFL player right now. Lemmy very speculative, but is improving and has found a home down back. O'Keefe speculative but improving every game. Mirkov probably not, same with big Dom. Monahan miles off right now.

Long winded way of saying that Moir has the most potential for mine.

Interesting question to break down.

I rate our list as having 34 “established” senior players. That number includes developing types Cowan, Motlop, C.Durdin and J.Carroll. Young and perpetually injured Martin, Marchbank and Cuningham also appear in those numbers.

That leaves eleven VFL developing players officially. ( Irishman Duffy makes this twelve as is contracted, but not officially listed)

The elder statesman is Sam Durdin, who is actually approaching veteran status. A very capable player, possibly deserving of classification as an AFL player despite his rare appearance at the level. Stands alone as mature depth, but has had his struggles getting on the park making a mockery of the “depth” status.

Going in descending age order

Alex Mirkov, the project ruckman. Volleyball background a towering 210cm. 24 1/2 years old. AFL quality as a tap ruckman, but his impact around the ground has been limited. We don’t know how much he has been impeded by the heart condition which has recently been corrected surgically. His output is improving weekly and while there is perhaps little hope for him to “survive” long term, he has the back half of the season to take his game to a new level. His most recent game was much more rounded and has a window without O’Keeffe and perhaps Pitto to state a case. Hard to see him retained as would require upgrading to the main list to continue (unless re-rookied).

Dom Akuei the Cat B third tall also would require moving to the main list or at very least the Cat A rookie list. His last game was promising, but promising for a first year player, not so much a third year. Has an impressive highlights reel, but not so much a body of work. Minimal physicality in his game and hard to see him remaining at season’s end.

Harry Lemmey is just twenty. A baby for a big developing tall. Recruited as a forward, but looking increasingly likely to continue as a key defender. Has all of the tools to make it. His skills are very adequate. Appears to lack a little aggression, but that could be attributed to confidence rather than character. Screams a player needing to be led to or placed in the contest rather than being required to make the play (forward). Has also had some decent moments as a pinch hitting ruck. The jury is out, but clearly, for me should be considered a defensive leaning swingman. His development path will be critical. I fully see him as an AFL player. Sits in a window where Weitering, Curnow and McKay will limit his chances for five years or more. On what he has displayed, surely his path is to push for that second KPD spot when Gov is done, allowing Kemp to play the third tall. Commonsense says he needs minutes forward and rucking to optimise his value to the team, but surely defender first, where he shows more urgency.

Rob Monahan is another slow burn. Athletically gifted, he was famously touted as a forward first. The club chose to bypass the time honoured path of starting the Irish converts behind the ball to allow them an easier introduction to our game. While he has had moments in our misfiring forward line, he has been underwhelming. Far from a write off, I firmly believe he should be consigned to a HBF for the remainder of the season before assuming his “natural” role. Too early to assess fully.

Jaxon Binns is an interesting one. Talented footballer and athlete. His awards last season outline his potential. Plenty of supporters screaming for him to get an opportunity at the top level. To play devil’s advocate, his flaws remain similar to pre draft. His disposal can be excellent, but he remains poor at decision making. Sometimes hitting the hard, aggressive target, but too often missing. Structurally he can be questioned as well. A bloke on the brink of senior selection needs to consolidate these areas as a priority. He is trying to enter a contending team with a growing number of options in his position. He is clearly behind Acres, Ollie, Doc, Cotters, maybe now Cincotta and other mids “rotating”. In my opinion he needs to be seriously tried as a high half forward and/or small forward. He can hit the scoreboard and has plenty of the attributes of a small forward. Contracted until 2026, I actually see him as trade bait if we persist with more of the same.

Hudson O’Keeffe is no superstar, but shapes as a good quality, highly combative competitor with good skills and attitude. HOK shapes as an important list member for mine. In his second year and regularly carried the ruck in our ressies. Competitive with some quality rucks during this time and a very reliable shot for goal when playing forward. TDK is almost 25 and just now establishing himself as the first choice ruckman. Hudson has plenty of time on his side and could elevate to be a genuine AFL first ruck in time, he could become an excellent second ruck/forward foil for TDK as early as next season. At very worst he becomes a stalwart of our reserves and a very capable long term back up player. Actually is athletic enough, I would not be against trialling as a key defender along with continuing to build his forward “craft”.

MSD addition Cooper Lord was a surprise to me, but certainly has the profile to be an AFL player. His numbers in his junior year were absolutely draftworthy. Did not have the profile of his partner in crime Riley Sanders, but matched him on performance and accolades at club level. Was not afforded representative honours and it is perhaps hard to see why not. His performances at VFL level this year are at least adequate for new draftees. Has genuine burst and power and a two way runner. Looking forward to seeing him in our reserves.

Ashton Moir is the one causing the most contention. His underage year had him earmarked for the top 5 in his draft. He fell off the map. Played reasonable footy, but nothing like his earlier season. Carried a hip injury through that season which was resolved upon arrival at the Blues. Reports of some sublime moments in his pre season, but clearly behind physically. Has a great frame to grow in to which may leave him not unlike a previous wearer of the number 43. Yet to see if he is down on confidence or aggression in the reserves. Not being played in his “natural” position as a forward. I see this as a positive, we are building bath his tank and his game awareness. Still only cameos to date, I suspect if played deep forward would have reached up double digit numbers of goals by now. Pretty sure the club want more, not just a flakey, opportunistic goal sneak. Patience is a virtue, we are building a man and a player. Has a way to go physically as well as output, but I still rate him with an exceptionally high ceiling.

Billy Wilson looks like a banker. Surely starts off a familiar HBF, with a view to graduating to the midfield or perhaps a wing.
Newman, Docherty, Saad and Williams all start 2025 on the other side of thirty, so there will be room opening up in the backline in a year or two. Having genuine pace makes Billy a very likely candidate. His disposal is still a little inconsistent, but of a very high quality. Think we have one here skilled, athletic and combative, we need to establish some structures and discipline with the youngster while he develops a little physically. Time is on his side, he and supporters should not be in a rush. Would acquit himself OK if opportunity knocks, but likely a relatively slow burn getting an intro in ‘25.

Matt Carroll is a lifelong mad keen Blue who has been struck by the dreaded O.P. after living the dream being given a rookie spot with the Blues. It is to be hoped he can get in the park later in the year to strut his stuff. Good prospect with an excellent athletic profile and physique. List spots are at a premium, it is to be hoped he gets his chance. I suspect if he were to be delisted, we would see him on our VFL list working for a second chance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back