Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 26, 2015
The Land of Apricot Slice
AFL Club
Adelaide

1000001943.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Eagles getting Baker, Owies and pick 12 for pick 3 is a huge overpay, however given the Eagles current list and relative ladder position, and the fact that Baker and Owies will both be best 22 filling roles of need for the Eagles, it isn't the worst ever trade

Looks like part of this deal was WC trying to get back at Hawthorn for our earlier picks trade.

Very strange from WC, as it looks like they paid way overs for what they got in return.

That being said, if they had their eyes on a player who was tipped around the 10-15 range, then could be smart from them to turn one pick (3) into two serviceable best 22 players and a first rounder that is still decent.

Building your entire list strategy around Harley Reid is provocative, lets see how it plays out for the Eagles. Terrible trade by the Eagles.

So Carlton Give up 12, f1, f2 and Owies for 3. Still gotta hit with 3 I suppose and there is value at 12...who could forget 2017 Dow 3 Fogarty 12

I think this is awful for WCE and Carlton and Richmond make out like bandits.

Breaking it down, Carlton have traded 2 x 1st round picks and 1 x 2nd round pick and Matthew Owies for pick 3.

All that for one unproven player.

Yet 2 x 1st round picks was too much for 2x AA Dan Houston?

I don't get it, man.

I know a flood of responses will come for how bad this is for West Coast (and it is, especially in light of what they turned down for Barass) but in their defence I will say:

This draft has been described as different to most. Normally the top couple of picks are head and shoulders above the rest. This draft, it's been commonly said that there are no standouts and top 15 or so picks are all fairly even.

If true, sliding 9 picks and getting Baker and Owies doesn't look so bad, especially if West Coast have a player in mind that they want with pick 12 (which I assume is likely). 14 seems pretty high for Baker in those circumstances though (but at least Baker is a solid and courageous footballer who is only 26).

Still not great, but pick 3 probably doesn't hold the same 'premium' worth as most drafts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember those heady days where West Coast fans were insisting Baker was worth Hawthorn's future second that they'd definitely be getting in a Barass deal. Oh well.

Baker is a very handy player. Real heart and soul type and will very quickly win over the fan base.

Matt Clarke would want to be drafting well with his leftover first......

In all seriousness, this is the type of move that kills the Eagles rebuild. Especially considering they did the same thing with the pick that got Sheezel to North Melbourne.

Wardlaw but the point is still sound.

Big trade. Carlton and tigers happy. Eagles get 2 good players in their prime + a decent pick.

Potentially will shape what happens next.

Eagles ****ed up massively. There is simply no other way to look at this.

Thry could have got Baker and Owies without touching pick 3. They wanted to be clever and failed.

Or, the new team Richmond installed at WCE gave them a farewell gift, and a cheeky wrap-around for the Blues too.

Eagles getting Baker, Owies and pick 12 for pick 3 is a huge overpay, however given the Eagles current list and relative ladder position, and the fact that Baker and Owies will both be best 22 filling roles of need for the Eagles, it isn't the worst ever trade
I can see the logic in it.

Yes they might seem to get 'flogged' in trade week, but they'll hopefully have a much better season onfield.

When you have a pick as early as 3, you can either
1. Trade it for a star who moves the needle
2. Take a top line kid who can move the needle in the future

The Eagles have done neither. Reminds me of Collingwood’s infamous 2020 future pick swap.

The Eagles have won what? 11 games in three seasons and will have used only one top 7 pick (Reid) in those drafts. When you are in a rebuild, you must use those early picks when you have the chance. Look at St Kilda and Essendon - constantly middling and crying to get a top, top draftee most years but aren’t finishing low enough to get one. Eagles are risking doing the same.

It’s great value most years for Carlton, but I am of the belief they’d be better off using teens picks to fill holes in a couple of positions, rather than going all out for a highly ranked midfielder. We’ll see what they can do.

Richmond wouldn’t get that much for a contracted Baker. They’ve made out like bandits

I can see the logic in it.

Yes they might seem to get 'flogged' in trade week, but they'll hopefully have a much better season onfield.
The Weagles should be a better on field team in 2025. Paid a fair price for that though. It'll be interesting to look back on in 7 or so years. Although I'm sure I won't even remember the trade by then. ... Unless of course pick 14 = some super star who is the difference in the Tigers winning their 3rd in a row premierships.

Building your entire list strategy around Harley Reid is provocative, lets see how it plays out for the Eagles. Terrible trade by the Eagles.

So Carlton Give up 12, f1, f2 and Owies for 3. Still gotta hit with 3 I suppose and there is value at 12...who could forget 2017 Dow 3 Fogarty 12

There are plenty of examples of great players taken at 12 or later - Cripps at 13, Fyfe at 20, Neale at 58!
Also, plenty of examples of players taken at 3 (or higher) that didn't go as well as expected at the top level (sometimes due to injury) - Shache at 2, O'Rourke at 2, Dom Tyson at 3

The main issue is that they didn't need to trade out pick 3 in the first place.

Owies would have been free in the PSD, or throw a 4th rounder at Carlton at they probably take it.
Don't be dicks about the Barrass trade with Hawthorn, and they have 14 to trade for Baker anyway.

Just a very weird way for WC to go about things.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back