Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

I have an unpopular take on this

Carlton have sold the farm for Pick 3

F1+ F2, +12 + owies for 3 is top dollar

Their last Pick 3 didn't go to well it was Paddy Dow

I actually agree with this.

They have essentially payed what Port payed for JHF, Brisbane payed for Beams or West Coast for Tim Kelly for an unknown player.

Better hope he is good.

No, the Eagles aren't risking that. They already have the superstar talent in Harley Reid, who is likely a top 5 player in the league at his peak. That's something teams that get stuck in rebuilds can't find, the guy who can be built around. It's now about building a supporting cast for him, as you only need one superstar midfielder to push the needle. Equally, it's not like they're in great need of a key forward in the near future with Oscar Allen already putting up one 50-goal season (and was on a similar pace in 2024).

The risk for West Coast is they end up like Carlton in the back end of the 2010s, where they had Cripps and not much else, but really, they've already crossed the biggest hurdle a rebuilding team faces and have the face of the club for the next decade. However, this trade doesn't help their chances as it lowers the percentage of finding that supporting midfielder for Reid and Gimbley, all for two ok small forwards.

Carlton are the big winners seeing they're one piece away from pushing a premiership and pick 3 is able to get them a top tier small forward in this draft (and small forwards are the thing that supercharge good lists, and by god do they need a good small forward due to trading out their only competent one).

We won't be drafting a small forward.

Just about all Richmond supporters rated Baker at around pick #15 yet we were all told we have no clue and he is a pick #23 at best etc etc and some fools even suggested pick #30 or PSD.

We were told that We dont know how trades work but our player and our value of that player remained the same
I offered up bets to anybody willing to take it but they all just quitely backed of and continued to post he is not worth a 1st rounder.

Guess what . All the Richmond supporters were 100% accurate with both the Baker & Rioli trades
But i have no idea why West Coast just didnt wait and do Baker + #10 for pick #3

And YES the eagles did split pick #3 for the midget Liam Baker

It improves the bottom end of our best 22, which is better than people give us credit for. It's also a sign that the club feels we have the pieces in place. The problem I see is that we're still going to need someone to replace Yeo and McGovern eventually and instead of getting two good picks in, we've got one. We should also be better than 17th next year, diminishing the value of next year's first.
I see West Coast as 14th - 17th next year, and you're going to fall off a cliff once McGovern retires.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Their last Pick 3 didn't go to well it was Paddy Dow

They had an incredible couple of years that more than balance out some of their misses but at the same time I think has kept them from getting to that upper echelon. In one draft they got Weitering, Curnow and McKay, then a year or two later got Cripps after we apparently preferred Ben ****ing Lennon. But then a few bad years getting guys like Dow, Lochie O'Brien and SPS for picks in the first 10. If they had nailed all of those too I think a flag would have been a certainty.

From our point of view, we retained a F2, and gave up 34 this year which would have been swallowed by a bid for Ben Camporeale. Owies we would have had to delist, and we got some extra points.

So really, it's 12 + F1 for 3.
It's still a lot, and will come down to nailing #3, vs who goes around 12 + 14/F1.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Pick swap: Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to West Coast, #14 to Richmond, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back