Casey Sibasado

Remove this Banner Ad

Quayle has him in her top 25, so thats a decent wrap on the young fella, like the sound of him, our second pick might be a bit of a push, definitely third round. Having said that, Rendell doesn't necessarily follow the general trend, so you never know with him really.

Been linked anywhere between 25 to pick 44

no chance fellas.. he will be a Demon at pick #1 in the PSD.
cant wait

i dont get it, why would the demons pass at pick 76 where they had the opportunity to take him, then risk him being taken by another club who have a pick after them to then take him in the pre season draft???

why not just take him, or whatever player they end up taking, in the ND, this way there is no chance of losing him???

it makes no sense to me

i dont get it, why would the demons pass at pick 76 where they had the opportunity to take him, then risk him being taken by another club who have a pick after them to then take him in the pre season draft???

why not just take him, or whatever player they end up taking, in the ND, this way there is no chance of losing him???

it makes no sense to me

My guess is they thought no-one would take him so it gives them a chance to do some more homework on all the options left.

Article in The Age today:

mbs_casey_wideweb__470x313,0.jpg

Casey Sibosado, with his dog Daisy, was left hanging after missing out on selection in the AFL draft.
Photo: Simon O'Dwyer

Hope remains for an overlooked teen

Jesse Hogan | December 1, 2008

CASEY Sibosado was hoping this would be a week of two milestones. The first was for the rangy 18-year-old from the north-west tip of Australia to be given a home in the AFL national draft, to be followed by his graduation from Xavier College tomorrow night.

Sibosado's mother yesterday flew in to Melbourne from Broome but will be celebrating only the latter — her son, a 193-centimetre forward, was not one of the 75 youngsters selected on Saturday.

Sibosado, who caught the attention of scouts when playing for the Northern Territory at this year's under-18 championships, was on a bus out of Byron Bay returning from schoolies when the draft was held.

Friends in Melbourne were relaying the draft news over the phone, and Sibosado said that it was the expectations of friends and families that, initially, were his biggest burden.

"They all wanted me to go, and then I sort of felt like I'd let them down and let myself down a bit," he said.

"But I've got another chance and I'll do everything in my power to get there."

Being in NSW last week meant Sibosado was largely shielded from draft-related news — apart from a couple of checks for footy news on the internet, just in case — although even in Byron Bay he was recognised the day The Age named him "the smoky" in the top 25 players available.

"People I hadn't even met before were coming up and asking me 'So you're the bloke from The Age . . . that Emma Quayle was writing about?', and I said I hadn't even seen the article," he said.

"It makes me feel good about myself … sometimes I lack a bit of confidence when I hear about all these boys being talked up and then I'm sort of this outsider, dark horse sort of thing."

Apart from the championships, Sibosado played only seven under-18 TAC Cup games with Oakleigh, instead focusing on representative matches for Xavier. Before the draft, AFL youth co-ordinator Jason McCartney said Sibosado would be "an exceptional late pick-up", believing him to be the type to "really benefit from a solid pre-season".

When asked why he believed he was overlooked, Sibosado listed consistency and fitness as the two areas needing the most work.

"I'm not really an endurance athlete, but most of the power stuff I think's all right," he said.

Within hours of the draft, Sibosado featured highly in the names thrown up on internet fan forums as a potential No. 1 pick in the pre-season draft, although he was quick to laugh off the fans' suggestion his size and indigenous heritage make him "the next Lance Franklin".

"He's a big goalkicker but I don't think I'm really a big goalkicker, I just have a lot of influence in other people getting goals," he said.

"I think my best for the year was probably five (goals) against Murray … I kicked 5.4, I think, pretty much the same accuracy as him."

Adelaide was the only club to have contacted Sibosado about its interest before the draft — and also after the draft on Saturday to apologise for not selecting him — although his manager Ricky Nixon has since fielded interest from other clubs about Sibosado training with them in the lead-up to this month's rookie draft.

Sibosado left his family in Lombandina, 180 kilometres north of Broome, three years ago to board at Xavier, and insisted he's happy to move anywhere for his football and has no intention of returning until he's achieved his goal.

"I think living in a city, where footy's pretty big, has given me the best opportunity to play, so I'm just going to stick around here until I finally realise if I'm not good enough to make it," he said.

"I won't give up until I'm about 25, I reckon, because a lot of (mature) players are getting drafted now."

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/ne...overlooked-teen/2008/11/30/1227979844736.html

He'll get picked up in the rookie draft and thats where he should be.

From what I've read and seen he comes across as being a tad casual but that my be more about the environment he's been brought up in. Doesn't look like he had enough runs on the board to earn a draft selection but as a rookie he will IMO be given a chance to improve.

And yes, Eagles with pick 2 would be fine with me........most fine:thumbsu:

Surely he is going to Melbourne with either their first rookie pick or their first pre-season draft pick, Sibosado, Watts and Wonaeamirri will be scary in years to come.

Surely he is going to Melbourne with either their first rookie pick or their first pre-season draft pick, Sibosado, Watts and Wonaeamirri will be scary in years to come.

This always gets me, why is he a certainty to go to any club?

He was available in the ND, still is now.

Not like he wasn't available to be picked or clubs forgot they could pick him. Any of the teams that passed in the ND wont take him, because they could have in the ND. They'll more than likely take someone who wasn't available.....e.g a Luke Jericho

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not like he wasn't available to be picked or clubs forgot they could pick him. Any of the teams that passed in the ND wont take him, because they could have in the ND. They'll more than likely take someone who wasn't available.....e.g a Luke Jericho

The bolded comment is just as absurd as anyone saying he's a certainty to go to a certain club. Look back at last year, Richmond took Gourdis last year after passing over him in the ND. Essendon took Bellchambers, West Coast took McGinnity, etc.

I can confirm that all clubs passed on drafting Sibosado to teach all prospective draftees a lesson not to have Ricky Nixon as your manager.

This clown Ricky Nixon is the greatest muppet in the AFL.

And that says something when you consider the list of muppets in the football world include Demetriou, Brereton, Dunstall, Bartlett, Carey, Akermanis and Fevola.

Ricky Nixon is by far the greatest tool in the AFL, not to mention that curly 70's hairstyle he still wears. Give me a break.

The guy would have to be the most negative prick of all time.

The AFL hates him, the clubs hate him, the AFLPA hate him, Glen Archer hates him, i hate him.

Why the F would any player want this moron as your player manager?

This is why Sibosado wasn't drafted, not for any other reason.

If you listened closely on draft day when it was Melbourne's pick number 76, you could hear Barry Prendergast say to Dean Bailey, lets take Sibosado.

Bailey said no "F" ing way, Ricky Nixon is his manager. "F" that! I would rather pass (which he said really loudly into the microphone).

With that they inadvertantly passed on their pick and Fremantle then proceeded to pick up Christopher Hall immediately.

Rumour has it Melbourne have written to Sibosado directly asking him to dump his manager, with the promise that they will draft him with the 1st pick in the pre-season draft.

The bolded comment is just as absurd as anyone saying he's a certainty to go to a certain club. Look back at last year, Richmond took Gourdis last year after passing over him in the ND. Essendon took Bellchambers, West Coast took McGinnity, etc.

My point was it's no certainty if they passed on him in the ND.

Gourdis was taken as a rookie wasn't he? I don't know so I was say.

Did Richmond pass on their last pick in the ND and then take Gourdis with a Pre-Season pick?

I can confirm that all clubs passed on drafting Sibosado to teach all prospective draftees a lesson not to have Ricky Nixon as your manager.

This clown Ricky Nixon is the greatest muppet in the AFL.

And that says something when you consider the list of muppets in the football world include Demetriou, Brereton, Dunstall, Bartlett, Carey, Akermanis and Fevola.

Ricky Nixon is by far the greatest tool in the AFL, not to mention that curly 70's hairstyle he still wears. Give me a break.

The guy would have to be the most negative prick of all time.

The AFL hates him, the clubs hate him, the AFLPA hate him, Glen Archer hates him, i hate him.

Why the F would any player want this moron as your player manager?

This is why Sibosado wasn't drafted, not for any other reason.

If you listened closely on draft day when it was Melbourne's pick number 76, you could hear Barry Prendergast say to Dean Bailey, lets take Sibosado.

Bailey said no "F" ing way, Ricky Nixon is his manager. "F" that! I would rather pass (which he said really loudly into the microphone).

With that they inadvertantly passed on their pick and Fremantle then proceeded to pick up Christopher Hall immediately.

Rumour has it Melbourne have written to Sibosado directly asking him to dump his manager, with the promise that they will draft him with the 1st pick in the pre-season draft.
Haydo. I am with you 99% on this one. But Dunstall?
Seriously, the guy stays out of the limelight, has helped our club be a success and is a genuine good bloke. Not only that, he was one of the few absolute champions our game has had.

I can understand thinking all the others are complete tools, you won't get an argument from me there, but Dunstall? He must have done something personal to you to be included in your mugs line up.

Agree that Nixon is pool scum. The guy should be strung up and pelted with rotten fruit.

I reckon it would be a little embarassing if Richmond picked him... it would be awkward for Tambling at least anyway, he'd be like a constant reminder.

I love his attitude though, sounds laid back but also pretty funny, I'd be happy to take him in the PSD if our recruiters thought he has the talent.

My point was it's no certainty if they passed on him in the ND.

Gourdis was taken as a rookie wasn't he? I don't know so I was say.

Did Richmond pass on their last pick in the ND and then take Gourdis with a Pre-Season pick?

If you'd have worded it like that, there'd have been no problem. :p

FWIW, Casey looks a footballer and I think he definately should be considered at PSD #1. IMO, it should be a tall player after picking up just one player over 190cm in the ND. Gaertner, Sibosado or Browne would all be good pickups for the Dees and I'm hopeful that we may be able to get one at PSD #1 and another at rookie pick #1.

And yes, Richmond did pass their last ND pick last year to take Gourdis in the PSD. Gives clubs a bit more time to sit back and assess their lists' and potentially invite a few prospective draftees to train with them before the PSD (which I'm pretty sure the Tiges did with Gourdis last year). Bailey's said he's got 3 or 4 in mind already that he wants to invite to train with the club prior to the rookie draft to help him make his mind up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Casey Sibasado

Remove this Banner Ad

Back