Cash beats premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 12, 2006
Booking desk, TISM boat hire
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Victory
Plenty of evidence here... Shane, the Mummy, Mumford could have stuck fat with the Cats for 1/3rd of his offered wage with Sydney (yeah ****ing right) and tipped out Blake and Hawkings (purposefully mispelt) to tandem with Otto and lead Geelong to the 3rd in 4...

Sooky lala Brown couldn've stayed with the premiership window Hawks and possibly had more glory in the next year or two...

Woman basher Bock, were he serious about a premiership in his last years could've orchestrated a trade to a real contender...

But in the end cash beats premierships.... and I can understand that being a corporate mercenary myself... but football clubs are not companies, and no one barracks you on to work every morning, and kids don't wear a suit and emulate a lawyer or an accountant....

All of us have been sold out in the latest mad expansion episode of Vlad's empire... vale AFL as we knew it

Given most Hawks fans on the bay have come out and admitted Brown has been shit now that he's gone, interesting to see how us Cat's fans will be if Ablett goes.
I know if he left I would say Suns got a genius player with poor/limited defensive capabilities, a selfish player who sooks when things aren't going his way. You Tyler?

Footy isn't forever so these blokes take the cash and run when their times done.

In Rob Harvey's book, he says that in 1995 when Freo were starting up, they offered to pay off his house that he just bought in Seaford so he would come and play for Fremantle, but Harves wanted to stay. If you look up loyalty in the dictionary. Harves.

I reckon the worst example is Brown and Bock, (Mostly Ablett if he goes), why would you leave a club with history and a decent fanbase, to switch to a plastic corporate entity. Bloody Gold Coast...

Bit simplistic there, TD.

Most of the players you're talking about have left because of limited game time/contract length. It sent the grandson of John Kennedy to Sydney, and Luke Ball to Collingwood for reportedly less coin.

In the case of Browny, he clearly is motivated by money, but why wouldn't you be if you didn't have a stable position to play, and weren't being offered more than two years at a time? Kids would have been pushing for his spot next season, and he'd soon find himself on the scrapheap.

To jump for security, considerably more money, more game time, playing in the position he wants - hardly a Judd-esque decision.

Mumford probably couldn't stand hanging around that useless w***er Blake with all his insecurities, and Bock, well...imagine living in Adelaide.

Your own team of stars has stayed together because of their lack of greed, the same goes for the big names in my team. Whatever the media portrays it as, what's happening now with players moving for better conditions is the exception, not the rule.

In Rob Harvey's book, he says that in 1995 when Freo were starting up, they offered to pay off his house that he just bought in Seaford so he would come and play for Fremantle, but Harves wanted to stay. If you look up loyalty in the dictionary. Harves.

I reckon the worst example is Brown and Bock, (Mostly Ablett if he goes), why would you leave a club with history and a decent fanbase, to switch to a plastic corporate entity. Bloody Gold Coast...

So they offered him $50k to come to Freo?:confused:

Not just Harvey but Stewie Loewe and Nathan Burke as well. Could have all left for more money but chose to stay loyal to the Saints. Same with Riewoldt with the Gold Coast.

Say what you like about St Kilda but our players remain more loyal than most other clubs. Our motto of Strength Through Loyalty isn't for nothing.

Chris Grant could have been Port Adelaide's Captain and earnt a fair bit of scratch. Stayed at the Dogs for loyalty.

Cheap shot at Mumford, you push him to 3rd string and expect him to hang around waiting for a shot?

Not many fans support that decision. He still would have had a chance this year. And the way we are going, he would have had a position in a team that is a chance at a flag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not just Harvey but Stewie Loewe and Nathan Burke as well. Could have all left for more money but chose to stay loyal to the Saints. Same with Riewoldt with the Gold Coast.

Say what you like about St Kilda but our players remain more loyal than most other clubs. Our motto of Strength Through Loyalty isn't for nothing.

Or Aaron Hamill..

Tony Lockett FFS.

Tony Lockett FFS went to Sydney because he wanted to get away from the intense media spotlight he was under in Melbourne. Was a change of lifestyle decision.

He still loved St Kilda, shown when he returned home recently for the Saints Hall of Fame with Danny Frawley.

To jump for security, considerably more money, more game time, playing in the position he wants - hardly a Judd-esque decision.

Dear Bayer,

Your posts smell like knob cheese. Judd moved back to his home state and to be back near his family. So Brown, Bock, Mumford were all moving for what reason? Coin *******, coin.

All players are in their teams starting line up's, all get a good wage, Mumford would be looking at a possible flag as he would have over taken that slug Blake but all decided to drop a huge dump on their former clubs head.

It's no other reason than coin, or has the Suns flag window already opened? Judd had a reason to leave Cokeville and that was to come home. Out of the players that have left and the one's that are about to head to the Suns, give me another reason other than money as to why they left.

More game time..........give me a spell ***k knuckle. The OP is right in the case of Ablett and Mumford, money means more than premierships. As for Brown he was still in a good side with a chance of a flag but like the rest of us, he said ***k Horforn:thumbsu:.

So everyone expected Mumford to spend another year on the rookie list earning rookie wages which is probably well under 100K for maybe a chance to play in a Grand Final. Well he did that for a year and got dropped for what Geelong supporters are now calling a spud, Blake. I too would leave if another club come along and offered more money and club on the rise.

Oh buy the way who says Geelong will be playing in the Grand Final.

Champion bloke is Harves. Lucky he didn't go to Freo, he wouldn't be a premiership player if he did.....oh wait.:eek:

What a load of tosh. Do you honestly believe Saints players are more loyal to their team than other players? You deluded twit.

I guess Saints fans are more loyal as well.

Neither would Crawford if he didn't overstay his welcome in Brad Johnson style.

Crawf was a valuable contributor to the Hawks' dominant finals series, and had a great game against the Saints. The moment Crawf left, a hole was left in the team.

I'm not about to sledge Banger, but it's worth noting St Kilda won 19 in a row after he left. Just sayin...

Judd moved back to his home state and to be back near his family. So Brown, Bock, Mumford were all moving for what reason? Coin *******, coin.

It's true he wanted to come home, but if it wasn't for Prattie he wouldn't be running around for your mob missing targets. He'd be missing targets elsewhere.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cash beats premierships

Remove this Banner Ad

Back