5 Buccellati (GB) (Tony Noonan) 17 Steven King 54.0
 6 Harris Tweed (NZ) ( Murray & Bjorn Baker) 9 B Rawiller 54.0
 7 Manighar (FR) (Luca Cumani) 3 D Oliver 54.0
 8 Master O'Reilly (NZ) (Danny O'Brien) 10 D Dunn 54.0
 9 Monaco Consul (NZ) (Michael Moroney) 15 C Williams 54.0
10 Triple Honour (NZ) (Chris Waller) 11 L Cassidy 54.0
11 Zavite (NZ) (Anthony Cummings) 19 B J Melham 54.0
12 Alcopop (Jake Stephens) 22 M J Zahra 53.5
13 Herculian Prince (NZ) (Gai Waterhouse) 6 G Schofield 53.5(inc. 2kg pen)
14 Zabrasive (NZ) (John O'Shea) 13 C Newitt 53.0
15 Descarado (NZ) (Gai Waterhouse) 18 C Munce 52.5
16 Jessicabeel (NZ) (John O'Shea) 20 J M Winks 52.5
17 Faint Perfume (Bart Cummings) 7 G Boss 52.0
18 Dariana (Bart Cummings) 8 L Nolen 51.5
19e Mourayan (IRE) (Robert Hickmott) 5 N Hall 53.5
20e Red Ruler (NZ) (John Sargent) 1 M R Du Plessis 53.5
21e Drunken Sailor (IRE) (Luca Cumani) 4 53.0
22e Valdemoro (Tony Vasil) 14 J C Maskiell(a) 50.0

The forgotten horse is Harris Tweed $31 is exceptional value with an expected slow track. Forget last yrs run when he pulled, form since then has been very good & that breed often keep improving....

The forgotten horse is Harris Tweed $31 is exceptional value with an expected slow track. Forget last yrs run when he pulled, form since then has been very good & that breed often keep improving....

Yep a good roughie...no point taking the fixed odds IMO...should be more than that come race day....tough on pacer, its one paced but that might be exactly whats needed on Heavy 78!

Track is expected to get better between now and Saturday. No rain today, rain tomorrow and clear on race day.

I like Mr Medici

Heard the opposite.

Meant to be Slow 7 at best. Heavy expected.

Besides, if you like Mr Medici (who I rate highly as well) wouldn't you be doing a rain dance? :confused:

Heard the opposite.

Besides, if you like Mr Medici (who I rate highly as well) wouldn't you be doing a rain dance? :confused:

I rate Mr Medici as a chance as well. And agree it needs it wet!

Hahahah nicely done...I'm finishing up work next week and moving on to a new job so I've got a heap of spare time and wont be able to get on tonight, so if anyone else is up for some discussion today get on board!

I'll put something together shortly;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hope the likelihood of a heavy track brings a few scratchings because I'm warming to Drunken Sailor. Capable over more ground but looks a genuine mile and a half horse, well drawn, great record in the wet, experience in big fields, traveled well and is very forward.

Heard the opposite.

Heard on the radio this morning from the Caulfield track curator that that was what they were predicting anyway....hail on Melbourne :confused:

You are bang on about Mr Medici regarding the wet, will get on him for sure if it's heavy as well as shocking and Faint Purfume. Ruling out Dariana completely at this stage as she doesn't like it heavy.

out of these three for me, shocking , metal bender and faint perfume. im taking the mare , her preperation hasnt been perfect but her last start was her best run this campaign and i think shes getting her fitness back apparently has come on alot in past 2 weeks and that fact she drops a shit load of weight drawn a good barrier, blinkers first time and handles the wet and is more appealing at the odds than the other 2.

Kids, I've spent my work time wisely this morning and have put together a review...It's helped me narrow it down a bit and hopefully someone will get something out of it!

Narrowed it down to a top 6

1. Faint Perfume
2. Mr. Medici
3. Metal Bender
4. Shocking
5. Monaco Consul
6. Harris Tweed

Cheers

1 Shocking (Mark Kavanagh) 12 M Rodd 57.0

Has definite claims....interesting to read Kav's article in the paper today. He is still hurting from Maldivian and obviously would love to win the race...Heavy form is ok, and is 9:1-3-0 at the track, so he isn't just a Flemington Horse....Is a lot more forward this campaign and if he gets a free run at them down the straight he will be very hard to beat....The question for me is can he get that free run? He wont be able to sit 3 wide the trip and win this one....

2 Metal Bender (NZ) (Chris Waller) 2 H Bowman 56.0

Has a chance, especially on its last run when ridden back, Ridden very hard and hit the line very strongly....imagine that Bowman will try and sit him in the first 6 and go back to it's sit and sprint.

Ran 2nd to Theseo on a Heavy track a few starts back and is a very strong horse. Think it will aprrecaite the 3kg drop from WFA racing especiallly in the Slow/Heavy going. Does it have the class to win & can it run the distance?? Maybe not but from the barrier it will be in the race for a long time.

3 Mr Medici (IRE) (Peter Ho) 16 M Mosse 55.0
Massive chance IMO. Been working at Werribee where I'd imagine the track would be fairly Heavy. Has some great form in big pressure races and it's been a long time since it raced with 55kgs on the back. Trainers says he'll go to the front....tick, Heavy and Slow Form...tick, First Up Form...Tick.

Has the obvious question marks, but is a proven Group performer and has snuck under the guard a little with the press jumping all over So You Think etc..Only other question mark is racing in a field this size...it wont matter if he gets his way up front though ;)

4 Tokai Trick (JPN) (Kenji Nonaka) 21 Shinji Fujita 54.5

Mr.Medici's mate...9 Year Old who's record is quite amazing over distances ranging from 2000-3600...Particularly in the latter part of its career it has been racing 3200-3600m. I'm going to put a line through this one...Age, Barrier, First Up Record, No Heavy experience....Going to need the run I'd imagine.

A well travelled Nag who has an impressive record back home, all be it in the UK...Im very worried that he can ran a race here...Just went around 1st up, similar 2nd up, then with the weight relief and extra distance ran not a bad race last start. Lloyd frustrates me with his imports, but they do improve with extra distance...This does seem to be its peak distance however..

No real slow/Heavy form and maybe it needs the galloping room at Flemington, to do anything.

Very, Very Honest performer. Trainer admits he's one paced, but will won pace be enough in a grinding finish on a Heavy track...

Hasn't put a foot wrong this campaign and might just be getting stronger and hitting it's peak as a 5 year old. Ihave a lot of respect for NZ performed Horses and it seems to relish this distance. Also had a good run in the Melbourne Cup last year. One for the Multiples.

Has Oliver on board which automatically puts a cross against it's name. Oli is heading into court today and I know he won against adversity on Media Puzzle but this is different.

Cumani's have to be respected, the horse is lightly raced and will run the trip. However this is different racing, Lightly raced Horse on a Heavy track and it doesnt have that strong group form, look personally I just dont like its lead up form as much as the other import..It may be looking for further. I'm passing.

Surely just making up the numbers...Was going a lot better this time last year and finished 6th.

Interesting runner...If it finished up closer last start, it would be a lot shorter. Can handle the conditions and gets out to its ideal trip...It's lead up form before last start is what you would expect.

Back to Handicap conditions will be huge. It does tick a fair few boxes...Yosei is proof that you can't write off a horse after one poor run.

Pahlease! As a poster said earlier this week, I'll give up if it wins...I dont care about its wet form, I hate the horse! Cannot have!

Bad gate..Happy to risk the Son Of's horse here....Go find a country cup to win Anthony.

Loved his run in the Melb Cup Last year. Loved his Run on the weekend....think it has been blown a bit out of proportion though. The fact that he has to go from 22 cuts his chances in half IMO. Drops a lot of weight on its previous runs...Look if it can get a good sit it will be right in it. It's to big a risk for me, so I'll leave him out.

Please no!! I refuse to back this thing. Hate Gai, hate Sydney....spruik horse, surely not.

Never been far away from SHoot Out in Sydney and impressed first up WFA in Melb. Seems to have gone backwards since its run in the Memsie. I can't have him, to many question marks.

Did I mention I hate Gai?? Former NZ who ran 2nd to Shoot Out in the Derby...Moving through nicely this campaign in Syd, had a good win against a pack of mules, then came here and got a lesson in racing...Only start at the trip, wasn't far away from Shoot Out. Has some claims.. but in this class??? Barrier also a concern.

Shocking barrier. Another Sydney Spruik Horse. I've given Harris Tweed a chance so maybe she can improve on last week over more ground...Only start on a Heavy Track was it's first up run this campaign, where it was 14.5 lenghts last over 1400m. Not too sure how much you can read into that.

I'm not overly keen, but she can run the distance...maybe a better chance on a try day at Flemington???

Boom...Boom! Up to her ears in this! Given the perfect lead up, doesnt mind the going, perfect barrier. Proven in Melbourne and proven against the best. Bossy allowed Shocking to take it's run last start and really didnt get going on it at all. I really think it's about to jump out of its skin.

Will get the perfect sit, track is still a question mark. My clear Top Pick.

Flew home in the Underwood then plodded in the Turnbull...Interesting runner. Bolted in the Qld Derby over the Distance. Nolen gets the call up again...His confidence is sky high and road the horse into 2nd, last time he was on.

No proven wet form, but with 51.5 and the Master factor its go to have a show.

Going to leave the emergenices...dont give them a hope.....

Happy Punting :D

Ive only had a quick look at work and i know I will proabably have egg on my face but i keep coming back to Buccellati, i cant even tell you why?. Its about $30 a place so its probably worth a few bob. I dont think it can win but have a feeling it could run 3rd. That obviously wont be my main bet. Im still tossing a few around. Shocking, Metal Bender, Manighar, Monaco Consul, Faint Perfume, Dariana. Im fairly sure the winner would come from that lot...unless Buccellati wins at $250 :eek::thumbsu:. Whats Monaco paying? Double Figures surely?. Its probably my top pick at this stage.

Just checked - $21. Very happy with that, thought it would be closer to $12. Anyhow, ill have a better look later on...

Ive only had a quick look at work and i know I will proabably have egg on my face but i keep coming back to Buccellati, i cant even tell you why?. Its about $30 a place so its probably worth a few bob. I dont think it can win but have a feeling it could run 3rd. That obviously wont be my main bet. Im still tossing a few around. Shocking, Metal Bender, Manighar, Monaco Consul, Faint Perfume, Dariana. Im fairly sure the winner would come from that lot...unless Buccellati wins at $250 :eek::thumbsu:. Whats Monaco paying? Double Figures surely?. Its probably my top pick at this stage.

Just checked - $21. Very happy with that, thought it would be closer to $12. Anyhow, ill have a better look later on...

Buccellati has come in from $101 to $81, that wasnt my money :p

Kids, I've spent my work time wisely this morning and have put together a review...It's helped me narrow it down a bit and hopefully someone will get something out of it!

Narrowed it down to a top 6

1. Faint Perfume
2. Mr. Medici
3. Metal Bender
4. Shocking
5. Monaco Consul
6. Harris Tweed

Cheers

1 Shocking (Mark Kavanagh) 12 M Rodd 57.0

Has definite claims....interesting to read Kav's article in the paper today. He is still hurting from Maldivian and obviously would love to win the race...Heavy form is ok, and is 9:1-3-0 at the track, so he isn't just a Flemington Horse....Is a lot more forward this campaign and if he gets a free run at them down the straight he will be very hard to beat....The question for me is can he get that free run? He wont be able to sit 3 wide the trip and win this one....

2 Metal Bender (NZ) (Chris Waller) 2 H Bowman 56.0

Has a chance, especially on its last run when ridden back, Ridden very hard and hit the line very strongly....imagine that Bowman will try and sit him in the first 6 and go back to it's sit and sprint.

Ran 2nd to Theseo on a Heavy track a few starts back and is a very strong horse. Think it will aprrecaite the 3kg drop from WFA racing especiallly in the Slow/Heavy going. Does it have the class to win & can it run the distance?? Maybe not but from the barrier it will be in the race for a long time.

3 Mr Medici (IRE) (Peter Ho) 16 M Mosse 55.0
Massive chance IMO. Been working at Werribee where I'd imagine the track would be fairly Heavy. Has some great form in big pressure races and it's been a long time since it raced with 55kgs on the back. Trainers says he'll go to the front....tick, Heavy and Slow Form...tick, First Up Form...Tick.

Has the obvious question marks, but is a proven Group performer and has snuck under the guard a little with the press jumping all over So You Think etc..Only other question mark is racing in a field this size...it wont matter if he gets his way up front though ;)

4 Tokai Trick (JPN) (Kenji Nonaka) 21 Shinji Fujita 54.5

Mr.Medici's mate...9 Year Old who's record is quite amazing over distances ranging from 2000-3600...Particularly in the latter part of its career it has been racing 3200-3600m. I'm going to put a line through this one...Age, Barrier, First Up Record, No Heavy experience....Going to need the run I'd imagine.

A well travelled Nag who has an impressive record back home, all be it in the UK...Im very worried that he can ran a race here...Just went around 1st up, similar 2nd up, then with the weight relief and extra distance ran not a bad race last start. Lloyd frustrates me with his imports, but they do improve with extra distance...This does seem to be its peak distance however..

No real slow/Heavy form and maybe it needs the galloping room at Flemington, to do anything.

Very, Very Honest performer. Trainer admits he's one paced, but will won pace be enough in a grinding finish on a Heavy track...

Hasn't put a foot wrong this campaign and might just be getting stronger and hitting it's peak as a 5 year old. Ihave a lot of respect for NZ performed Horses and it seems to relish this distance. Also had a good run in the Melbourne Cup last year. One for the Multiples.

Has Oliver on board which automatically puts a cross against it's name. Oli is heading into court today and I know he won against adversity on Media Puzzle but this is different.

Cumani's have to be respected, the horse is lightly raced and will run the trip. However this is different racing, Lightly raced Horse on a Heavy track and it doesnt have that strong group form, look personally I just dont like its lead up form as much as the other import..It may be looking for further. I'm passing.

Surely just making up the numbers...Was going a lot better this time last year and finished 6th.

Interesting runner...If it finished up closer last start, it would be a lot shorter. Can handle the conditions and gets out to its ideal trip...It's lead up form before last start is what you would expect.

Back to Handicap conditions will be huge. It does tick a fair few boxes...Yosei is proof that you can't write off a horse after one poor run.

Pahlease! As a poster said earlier this week, I'll give up if it wins...I dont care about its wet form, I hate the horse! Cannot have!

Bad gate..Happy to risk the Son Of's horse here....Go find a country cup to win Anthony.

Loved his run in the Melb Cup Last year. Loved his Run on the weekend....think it has been blown a bit out of proportion though. The fact that he has to go from 22 cuts his chances in half IMO. Drops a lot of weight on its previous runs...Look if it can get a good sit it will be right in it. It's to big a risk for me, so I'll leave him out.

Please no!! I refuse to back this thing. Hate Gai, hate Sydney....spruik horse, surely not.

Never been far away from SHoot Out in Sydney and impressed first up WFA in Melb. Seems to have gone backwards since its run in the Memsie. I can't have him, to many question marks.

Did I mention I hate Gai?? Former NZ who ran 2nd to Shoot Out in the Derby...Moving through nicely this campaign in Syd, had a good win against a pack of mules, then came here and got a lesson in racing...Only start at the trip, wasn't far away from Shoot Out. Has some claims.. but in this class??? Barrier also a concern.

Shocking barrier. Another Sydney Spruik Horse. I've given Harris Tweed a chance so maybe she can improve on last week over more ground...Only start on a Heavy Track was it's first up run this campaign, where it was 14.5 lenghts last over 1400m. Not too sure how much you can read into that.

I'm not overly keen, but she can run the distance...maybe a better chance on a try day at Flemington???

Boom...Boom! Up to her ears in this! Given the perfect lead up, doesnt mind the going, perfect barrier. Proven in Melbourne and proven against the best. Bossy allowed Shocking to take it's run last start and really didnt get going on it at all. I really think it's about to jump out of its skin.

Will get the perfect sit, track is still a question mark. My clear Top Pick.

Flew home in the Underwood then plodded in the Turnbull...Interesting runner. Bolted in the Qld Derby over the Distance. Nolen gets the call up again...His confidence is sky high and road the horse into 2nd, last time he was on.

No proven wet form, but with 51.5 and the Master factor its go to have a show.

Going to leave the emergenices...dont give them a hope.....

Happy Punting :D

Very good write up mate. Well done. :thumbsu:

I have narrowed to your six( although monaco consul likely to drop out..), plus manighar and alcopop. Alcopop should run well with low weights.

Gonna have some serious reading and watching sessions in the next couple of days, but alreayd on faint perfume. Cheeky little rain dance I did this week!

Remove this Banner Ad

Caulfield Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

Back