Central Highlands

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah mate i'd be saying hepburn at th moment looking at the names of players they are putting clearences in for. Heard on the vine they've signed up a 19yr old from nhill.

Learmonth have a lost a few but still seem to be recruiting very strongly they'd rather go in as underdogs i think.Heard on the vine they've signed up a 19yr old from nhill.

Dunnstown looking alright if there batch of recruits get cleared.

Daylesford will drop a bit but still be up there.

Waubra will still be there abouts.

Add bunningyong to the mix now.

Would I be wrong in saying that you making this opinion entirely on new recruits going to these clubs? New players can do well and live up to there reputation but i saw last year that a lot ended up being total duds. "champion team will always beat a team of champions"..................... these predictions seam very circumstantial.

Would I be wrong in saying that you making this opinion entirely on new recruits going to these clubs? New players can do well and live up to there reputation but i saw last year that a lot ended up being total duds. "champion team will always beat a team of champions"..................... these predictions seam very circumstantial.

I agree hard to call now, but add in Hepburn and I think you have your top 6. Also think about the lists of each and their age!! Those with younger lists still have developing players so the likes of Dunnstown with some talented youngsters really dont need too many new players to improve.

springbank and gordon loosing players ,this wont be popular but maybe time for a merger

On the money there, but i think long term the league will be changed anyway. Sooner or later the powers that be will change the BFL, CHFL and the LPFL around to try and ease this type of thing and keep a strong core in Ballarat. Dont be suprised if a few CHFL teams join the BFL in years to come especially those close and with the facilities like Bunningyong and maybe Learmonth. Although they would not match it now it has already been considered. Hepburn to Maryborough league, waubra to LPFL Carnham Linton into CHFL etc.... its only a matter of time.

David Popovski from Bell Post Hill played a permit game for c/l in the lexton plains league at the start of last year. Goes ok, back pocket, back flank cool head under pressure is slow though hasnt much speed. Learmonth favourite what odds are they?? AJ Beacham talking them up again same as the last 3 years...

David Popovski from Bell Post Hill played a permit game for c/l in the lexton plains league at the start of last year. Goes ok, back pocket, back flank cool head under pressure is slow though hasnt much speed. Learmonth favourite what odds are they?? AJ Beacham talking them up again same as the last 3 years...

Anyone who thinks Learmonth are favourites in 08 are kidding themselves. How can anyone who knows anything about footy look past Daylesford, Hepburn and Waubra again. They were that far in front of everyone else last year it wasnt funny. Somone is taking the piss here!!!

Anyone who thinks Learmonth are favourites in 08 are kidding themselves. How can anyone who knows anything about footy look past Daylesford, Hepburn and Waubra again. They were that far in front of everyone else last year it wasnt funny. Somone is taking the piss here!!!

Lets be honest, Daylesford and Waubra were 10 goals better off than Hepburn and Learmonth so both clubs would need to recruit heavily to have a big impact this year.

This forum has been pretty quiet for a couple of weeks.....

How is each club travelling? How many is everyone getting to training?
Any key injuries at this stage that will keep anyone sidelined for the start of the season?

Practise MAtches for Learmonth

March 29 V North Shore (GFL) Home
April 5 V Hamilton Magpies (WBFL) Away
April 12 V Tyntynder (CMFL) Home

Interesting that Learmonth are playing 3 practice matches in the 3 weeks leading up to round 1. Not the best preparation in my opinion.

Two practice matches should always enough, especially considering the strong pre-season that Learmonth have been conducting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting that Learmonth are playing 3 practice matches in the 3 weeks leading up to round 1. Not the best preparation in my opinion.

Two practice matches should always enough, especially considering the strong pre-season that Learmonth have been conducting.

Pre-seasons and number of practice matches are not an exact science. Even the leading fitness guru's at AFL clubs have many and varied opinions on the right and wrong way to go about it.

Pre-seasons and number of practice matches are not an exact science. Even the leading fitness guru's at AFL clubs have many and varied opinions on the right and wrong way to go about it.

With games being shortened as of last season, no side that has done a pre-season should run out of legs. 20min quarters. Thats 20 mins less every game from 2 years ago. 80 min games + time on compared to 100min games + time on. Probbaly works out with time on in those last 5 mins of each quarter to be 1/2 hour less every game.

Also not all players are able to play all games, so its important that all players get atleast 2 hit outs into them before the start of the season.

With games being shortened as of last season, no side that has done a pre-season should run out of legs. 20min quarters. Thats 20 mins less every game from 2 years ago. 80 min games + time on compared to 100min games + time on. Probbaly works out with time on in those last 5 mins of each quarter to be 1/2 hour less every game.

Also not all players are able to play all games, so its important that all players get atleast 2 hit outs into them before the start of the season.

Will Daniel Rowe get his clearance from Clunes and why did he decide to play at Learmonth? Mates or Money?

better tell the AFL to stop clubs who get knocked out of the NAB Cup to pull up stumps. Not the best preperation in your opinion, but i'm sure they don't know much about the game

better tell the AFL to stop clubs who get knocked out of the NAB Cup to pull up stumps. Not the best preperation in your opinion, but i'm sure they don't know much about the game

If you're suggesting the fitness regime of elite AFL players is comparable with that of counrty clubs then i reckon you're kidding yourself.

I would suggest that there's a vast difference in an AFL player, who's basically trained to the day, managing their game time in say 2-4 practice matches to ensure they're right for round 1.

Compare this to a country player who has trained intermittently for say 6 weeks who then rocks up 3 weeks in a row on a hard ground and plays the full game because of a lack of numbers.

If i was a bookie, i know who i'd have as favourite as doing an injury first, even taking into account the greater physicality in the AFL.

If you're suggesting the fitness regime of elite AFL players is comparable with that of counrty clubs then i reckon you're kidding yourself.

I would suggest that there's a vast difference in an AFL player, who's basically trained to the day, managing their game time in say 2-4 practice matches to ensure they're right for round 1.

Compare this to a country player who has trained intermittently for say 6 weeks who then rocks up 3 weeks in a row on a hard ground and plays the full game because of a lack of numbers.

If i was a bookie, i know who i'd have as favourite as doing an injury first, even taking into account the greater physicality in the AFL.

You need an absolute MInimum 2 games and ideally 3 before a season regardless of what sort of pre-season you have. Maybe a week between games 2 and 3 but doesnt really matter.. you just have to do it, theres nothing like match fitness. You need those games because if you go into the season under-prepared you potentially step into round 5 staring at a 0-4 or 1-4 record and your season is all but over.

But this is a forum for opinions and when you become a coach 'off-season' if your up to it, you can prepare your team however you want to.
But trust me, the teams that figure in september have a strong pre-season that includes an early start to matches.

You need an absolute MInimum 2 games and ideally 3 before a season regardless of what sort of pre-season you have. Maybe a week between games 2 and 3 but doesnt really matter.. you just have to do it, theres nothing like match fitness. You need those games because if you go into the season under-prepared you potentially step into round 5 staring at a 0-4 or 1-4 record and your season is all but over.

But this is a forum for opinions and when you become a coach 'off-season' if your up to it, you can prepare your team however you want to.
But trust me, the teams that figure in september have a strong pre-season that includes an early start to matches.

I don't think he's saying that you shouldn't play games. More for the fact that 3 games running into the season without a break would make it a 19 week season rather than a 16 before finals. Which does seem like a long period without a break in country footy. I'm impartial on this and see both points of view.

The proof will be in the pudding I guess.

Heard of a big signing down learmonth way, Clinton Ward from St.Arnaud . A key forward line player with lots of pace and no fear has signed up for around 300 a game thanks to their twos coach Matt Hines. With Clinton and Matt out on a saturday night, lock up your ladies boys!!

Definatley has no fear, but i would say that he has everything but pace. Played 2's all year at St Arnaud last year. I think Matt Hines' younger brother Ben is in Ballarat starting uni this year. May head out that way too.

Definatley has no fear, but i would say that he has everything but pace. Played 2's all year at St Arnaud last year. I think Matt Hines' younger brother Ben is in Ballarat starting uni this year. May head out that way too.
28/2/2008053892HINES, Benjamin St. Arnaud2003 > PlayerWorkSafe VCFL > Central Highlands FL > LearmonthIn Pro

The single biggest recruit of 2008 in the CHFL.

Old number5 might not agree;)

I don't think he's saying that you shouldn't play games. More for the fact that 3 games running into the season without a break would make it a 19 week season rather than a 16 before finals. Which does seem like a long period without a break in country footy. I'm impartial on this and see both points of view.

The proof will be in the pudding I guess.

There is a weeks break during the middle of the year (Queens B'day) I believe. Depending on what stage your club is at, but thats for the coach to evaluate, and its a long time training from November to now without a match. It may freshen them up.

Only 7 weeks out till round one, so its coming around quick..... Technically 14 training sessions. NOT LONG!

28/2/2008053892HINES, Benjamin St. Arnaud2003 > PlayerWorkSafe VCFL > Central Highlands FL > LearmonthIn Pro
The single biggest recruit of 2008 in the CHFL.

Old number5 might not agree;)

I'm sure he'll ba a handy acquisition to the learmonth side ohwhenthesaints. I did see the young fella getting around during o week at uni. Both times i saw him he was incapabale of scratching himself. I think he had more beer down the front of his pants than anywhere else. Good on him.:thumbsu:

Good on learmonth for having 3 practise matches. The games are not for premiership points! They are about getting match fit as well as assisting the coaching staff with there best possible line up come round one.:thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back