Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

tried to register online, lol.
jumping through hoop after hoop, going around in circles. Need to go into an office and line up I guess.
The system is ******* e d, designed to discourage not to help.
Says a lot about the people that we have been governed by.

My wife dealt with them for healthcare cards, and child assist, etc .
I don't think we were ever able to deal with anything at all without phoning in , or going into the office.
Phoning always meant sticking it on speaker and leaving it for ages until they spoke to you.

The government should have a welfare agency who decides who does what.
They should then take tenders for a private organisation to do the distribution and communication.

Its been like it for a long list of different governments.

jumping through hoop after hoop, going around in circles. Need to go into an office and line up I guess.
And even without this crisis it's an ineffective system designed to discourage

definitely designed to make it as difficult/annoying as possible to sign up

my theory is they want people to get so frustrated that they feel it's easier to go and get a job instead

so glad it's been a few years since i've had to deal with them but this is gonna be f’ed

Government responses today:

Social Services Minister: Go home and apply online or over the phone (well aware that both options are overwhelemed at the moment).

Government Services Minister: Oops. My bad. I didn't expect so many people to lose their jobs.

Your observations are spot on (plus throw in a special level of incompetence).

definitely designed to make it as difficult/annoying as possible to sign up

my theory is they want people to get so frustrated that they feel it's easier to go and get a job instead

so glad it's been a few years since i've had to deal with them but this is gonna be f’ed
Designed to be bad because it was designed by Canberra public servants whose only skills seem to be going to cafes and finding ways to cut more jobs in service delivery so they can fund more Canberra bureaucrats.
You should see a normal day at the tuggeranong shopping centre, all day it is full of people.shopping and drinking while wearing their health and human services lanyards.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it's fair to say this is going to destroy the 'Dole Bludger' narrative for a long, long time.

You Dole bludgers had the system clogged, so the real workers couldn't collect their welfare when they needed to. :p

I'm entitled to youth allowance, however I haven't gone on it yet.

I've just lost my casual job at the pub. I assume I'll still be able to get the youth allowance now? Also, am I entitled to anything else at this stage?

Government responses today:

Social Services Minister: Go home and apply online or over the phone (well aware that both options are overwhelemed at the moment).

Government Services Minister: Oops. My bad. I didn't expect so many people to lose their jobs.

Your observations are spot on (plus throw in a special level of incompetence).
You can’t register online, you need to go to the office to proof ID so you can get a CRN number, even if you have myGov already.
So I have proofed my ID to get a myGov then I have to proof ID again to get on the dole?
Designed to discourage.
30 years ago was the last time I was in a Centrelink (CES I think it was back then) and you would think it would be easier.
Designed to discourage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's occurred to me that the LNP's fixation on saving as much money as possible by cutting from services as much as possible so they can have that marketing talking point known as 'the surplus', was akin to speeding down the highway to get somewhere quicker, it's all well and good and looks effective when all goes well, but as soon as something out of the ordinary happens there's no time to react and the next thing you know you've got a giant fireball.

I've just lost my casual job at the pub. I assume I'll still be able to get the youth allowance now? Also, am I entitled to anything else at this stage?

From what you have stated you will be eligible for Youth Allowance and you will also get the coronavirus supplement from the end of next month. Ring them up with your ID handy. It could take hours to get through.

Cheers mate. Will I need some form of evidence proving a loss of income? Letter from employer etc?

I believe that is being waived at the moment. You will need 100 points of ID. (look up on the centrelink website what ID is needed.) I also believe they are accepting ID over the phone. So get it all together before you ring, including knowing all your circumstances ie rent, bank balances etc, then just ring and wait.

ALH group have announced they will be paying their casuals for the shifts they were already rostered for the next couple of weeks.

UBI would be good right about now
It'll be interesting to see where the cards land when this all finishes. History suggests that after crisis' governments tend to be removed from office which means a series of left leaning governments would be tasked with rebuild. I hope that unlike the GFC the cost of paying for all of this won't be shifted onto us mug punters.

It'll be interesting to see where the cards land when this all finishes. History suggests that after crisis' governments tend to be removed from office which means a series of left leaning governments would be tasked with rebuild. I hope that unlike the GFC the cost of paying for all of this won't be shifted onto us mug punters.

It probably won't impact too much on trust funds.

It's an absolute shitstorm, Asks for a CRN number even when not registered but doesn't explain how to obtain one! No one dirct number either on the centerlink site confusing as ****! and when I did finally call says busy or call fail. you have no other choice but to lineup at one of their centers!

How has this system been implemented as a solution it's a ****ing problem what a joke!

epic epic fail!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics Centrelink

Remove this Banner Ad

Back