Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Commentary has been trash since Dennis and Bruce left. Huddo being serviceable but not the same level.

The afl needs to put more importance on whose calling games and if they're making too many mistakes, drop them. Players have massive numbers on their backs- calling cj chol isn't a great look especially for overseas markets. Look no further than the Mexican soccer League, I don't know any of the teams or players but the callers are great.

They really need to find the best new duo create an environment where callers want to improve.

Id like to see a round where vfl/sanfl/waffle callers get a chance to call on the big stage could unearth a new talent and create a merit based system similar to how players at lower levels get their call up if they do well maybe fans could vote.
More merit less dei please

Commentary has been trash since Dennis and Bruce left. Huddo being serviceable but not the same level.

The afl needs to put more importance on whose calling games and if they're making too many mistakes, drop them. Players have massive numbers on their backs- calling cj chol isn't a great look especially for overseas markets. Look no further than the Mexican soccer League, I don't know any of the teams or players but the callers are great.

They really need to find the best new duo create an environment where callers want to improve.

Id like to see a round where vfl/sanfl/waffle callers get a chance to call on the big stage could unearth a new talent and create a merit based system similar to how players at lower levels get their call up if they do well maybe fans could vote.
More merit less dei please
The networks pick the commentators, not the AFL. Blame them

One that irked me last week for no apparent reason was "Darce" insistence on calling Daniel Turner "Disco" Turner, the guy is by no means a household name (I had to look and see what his first name was) and hasn't earned the right (if such a thing exists) to be called by his nickname ie Buddy Franklin.
The callers are commentating like they are best mates with the players and catch up post game for a beer at the pub.

Can see a commentator going down the "ball" path with Jason Horne-Francis and doing "Jason Ball" as he kicks, with uproarious laughter in the box from those around in the late 90's.

I was at the game last night but can only imagine Darce everytime Pendlebury was in camera shot he would've been hitting the vineger strokes everytime.

pendleburyyyyyyy....pass me the tissues please.

I was at the game last night but can only imagine Darce everytime Pendlebury was in camera shot he would've been hitting the vineger strokes everytime.
He only referred to to him as "the 400 gamer". Using the tone of a 14 year old girl talking about Taylor Swift.

One that irked me last week for no apparent reason was "Darce" insistence on calling Daniel Turner "Disco" Turner, the guy is by no means a household name (I had to look and see what his first name was) and hasn't earned the right (if such a thing exists) to be called by his nickname ie Buddy Franklin.
The callers are commentating like they are best mates with the players and catch up post game for a beer at the pub.
I hate to quote myself but enough!!
Enough!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gets a "ball" into the first passage of play without fail.

This "ball" rubbish is wrecking Friday night footy for me. I swear "squaring ball" got a run twice in a minute tonight.

Give me the old radio JB. :sadv1:
Punishing Ball and Chiseling Ball have both had a go tonight. Tumbling Ball too.

BT a week ago (Richmond v St Kilda).

Prestia starts the game in long sleeves. Changes into sleeveless half way through the 2nd qtr.
BT Notices and mentions 'Prestia seems to have changed his jumper' - mid-way through the last quarter.

Also complains about 'That kick did not go 15 metres! You can see by the mown strips on the grass!! Umpire must surely see that!!!' - as a player kicks to a teammate diagonally in relation to the mower strips. Silence from co-commentators as they think 'I learned about Pythagoras in primary school.'

What dafuq is a Disco Dan?

Just heard it on Triple M as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back