Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

In addition to the general annoying aspects others have pointed out, one of the aspects about commentary which I don’t like is that I’ve noticed it (at least in my case) stops me having my own thoughts, because I’m listening to the commentators put their own spin on the game, gushing over a bit of play from a well known player, talking about Sicily’s cocky attitude for the millionth time, brown nosing the umpires, just crap I do not care about. It’s not a complete block on my own thoughts, mind you, I’m not a complete idiot, but definitely a hindrance.

The times when I’ve had enough and muted it, I’ve found myself being a lot more involved in the game, thinking about how the play is developing, where each of the players are and who they matched up against etc., and basically just thinking about things for myself.

Just a feed of the crowd/game noise would be ideal.
And, sometimes I think I'm watching a different game, they actually don't have as good a view as I do but their verdicts re frees etc are agreed among themselves as gospel.

A couple of weeks ago I heard Hutchy on his podcast talking about the BT/Bennett spat, and his comments really sum up the way in which 'management' must regard the role of commentators; Hutchy said something like, 'BT's the star, and it's the job of the other commentators to enhance his performance.'

Wrong. The game is the star, and it's the commentators' job to enhance the viewer experience of the game.

A couple of weeks ago I heard Hutchy on his podcast talking about the BT/Bennett spat, and his comments really sum up the way in which 'management' must regard the role of commentators; Hutchy said something like, 'BT's the star, and it's the job of the other commentators to enhance his performance.'

Wrong. The game is the star, and it's the commentators' job to enhance the viewer experience of the game.
Hutchy is a big BT/Dwayne fan. Not sure how he survives in the US where the big name callers are very understated. Most likely because he has no clue. The surprising thing is when he started his radio calls for AFL Nation he hired a bunch of lesser names who did a very good job.

Also if there's going to be a 'star' it's surely the special comments guy where there's room for some personality and opinion, not the play by play commentator who should keep it straight down the line.

Best thing to do is not to watch the coverage all together and hurt the AFL where it hurts the most, viewer numbers, which by the looks of it a lot of people have been doing lately.

I know it can be hard, but once you do it the 1st time, it's easy after that.

Its getting easier to not watch altogether, they have finally managed to destroy friday night football for me. Seven were always bad but I put up with it for the game but its become too unbearable this year.

What was the quote BT said on Open Mike? Something about the game needs more characters so he's going to say players' names in a funny manner?
I haven't heard the quote specifically but I think he's bang on with his comment.
Political correctness and social sterilisation have caused the AFL players jointly to become very Vanilla, albeit in the main due to external pressure.

If that's his way of introducing more Pizzazz to the game then I'm all for it.

I'm dying for a player to drop the F-Bomb after winning a really big game...It's heart on sleeve stuff and I love it.

Best boundary rider there ever was...
GettyImages-71724330.jpg

I haven't heard the quote specifically but I think he's bang on with his comment.
Political correctness and social sterilisation have caused the AFL players jointly to become very Vanilla, albeit in the main due to external pressure.

I'm dying for a player to drop the F-Bomb after winning a really big game...It's heart on sleeve stuff and I love it.

I almost think you don't know what political correctness means. Political correctness has nothing to do with Brian Taylor saying "Lllllllllllllllllllllyooooooooooooooood" every time Jake Lloyd touches the ball. All it is is really really irritating.

I almost think you don't know what political correctness means. Political correctness has nothing to do with Brian Taylor saying "Lllllllllllllllllllllyooooooooooooooood" every time Jake Lloyd touches the ball. All it is is really really irritating.
It's in reference to the fact he was saying that characters have been taken out of the game, which I agree with.
I know exactly what it means, and I'm happy to hear Lllllllllllllllllllllyooooooooooooooood 30 times a game as he's in my SC side.
Perfectly understand how it could be grating to some but I'm happy someone is trying to bring some character back.

I suppose you'd prefer Bruce going long, deep and hard before exploding in the (goal) mouth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's in reference to the fact he was saying that characters have been taken out of the game, which I agree with.
I know exactly what it means, and I'm happy to hear Lllllllllllllllllllllyooooooooooooooood 30 times a game as he's in my SC side.
Perfectly understand how it could be grating to some but I'm happy someone is trying to bring some character back.

I suppose you'd prefer Bruce going long deep and hard before exploding for a goal.

I prefer Anthony Hudson. He is a great caller and importantly he makes the big moments better through great commentary.

Jesus Christ - it’s amazing how omnipresent this disgusting political correctness is - it’s even the reason for Channel 7s shit commentary team and for BT being an utter narcissist flog - now I have heard it all - goodbye AFL Board

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jesus Christ - it’s amazing how omnipresent this disgusting political correctness is - it’s even the reason for Channel 7s shit commentary team and for BT being an utter narcissist flog - now I have heard it all - goodbye AFL Board

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
As I said, I didn't hear the specific comment he made, I just commented on what was inferred, which I agree with.
FWIW - I understand wholeheartedly how he could be annoying to some people...I still much prefer it to someone mundane.

You feeling that Mothership connection?

I know that we have a limited population here in Australia, but I cannot believe that we cannot do better than Dwayne, Eddie and Dermot in particular.

JB and BT can stay

Clay Smith after the 2016 Prelim, caused Lingy to um and er :D.

BT when Tom Boyd kicked his big goal in the GF.

Why not just listen to a preferred radio station whilst watching the footy?

This is what I do. Triple M footy over 7.

I don't mind Fox Footy's calls so I am happy to have that commentary on.

But...His face is so punchable.
I just can't get past it.
Even from the back, it's just the shape of his head.

I haven't felt this way since the back of Chris Grants head.

#issues :drunk::p
He isn’t that good of a commentator he too has his annoying sayings “did all that he could” “fighting the good fight” and almost every bit of commentary feels like he is narrating a novel
He has only had one memorable call and that was Franklins 13

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back