Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh ok - admittedly I don’t listen to SEN.

That’ll be interesting.

He isn’t a dummy by any stretch - it’ll be interesting to see how he balances his ‘w***er with an opinion’ persona alongside work in the commentary box which is most definitely pretty soft touch on 7 - nobody is going to be pointing out that BT is talking utter shit again or that Joel Selwood’s brain should have been donated to science when he retired.
I don't think Cornes is a w***er with an opinion. I think he's one of the only genuine football commentators who sparks debate on topics the boring media usually gloss over. If a great player is playing rubbish he'll call it out rather than fawn over them like the other puppets

I don't think Cornes is a w***er with an opinion. I think he's one of the only genuine football commentators who sparks debate on topics the boring media usually gloss over. If a great player is playing rubbish he'll call it out rather than fawn over them like the other puppets

I think he serves a purpose within the media landscape for sure - but Cornes has specifically cultivated a persona in the media of being ‘that bloke you hate who says shit things about your team’ - that’s how he gets his clicks - he’s a smart operator who wants his name to be synonymous with controversial hot takes.

I think he serves a purpose within the media landscape for sure - but Cornes has specifically cultivated a persona in the media of being ‘that bloke you hate who says shit things about your team’ - that’s how he gets his clicks - he’s a smart operator who wants his name to be synonymous with controversial hot takes.
Interestingly listening to him on The Howie Games podcast he reflected how he doesn't make any additional money from clicks. You're right his brand and approach gets him lots of opportunities because love him or hate him people want to listen. It's nice having a point of difference in the media landscape. So much better than listening to the likes of Watson and Lyon on SEN talking about wine (and themselves ad nauseum - they literally have a weekly quiz about themselves) or duds like Lewis, Dixon, Mooney, Brown and so forth on Fox. He's not 'one of the boys' which makes him genuinely interesting. Such a unique character. Reminds me of a young KB

Interestingly listening to him on The Howie Games podcast he reflected how he doesn't make any additional money from clicks. You're right his brand and approach gets him lots of opportunities because love him or hate him people want to listen. It's nice having a point of difference in the media landscape. So much better than listening to the likes of Watson and Lyon on SEN talking about wine (and themselves ad nauseum - they literally have a weekly quiz about themselves) or duds like Lewis, Dixon, Mooney, Brown and so forth on Fox. He's not 'one of the boys' which makes him genuinely interesting. Such a unique character. Reminds me of a young KB

All good points.

He may not make money from clicks himself, but his employers definitely will and that’s what will drive his contract up each time. His engagement rate would be through the roof for the likes of SEN. Very smart operator - he saw a clear opportunity in the market beyond ‘old boys’ (like Lyon and Watson as you mentioned), ‘good blokes’ (like Hodge, Selwood etc) and muckrakers and rumour mongers (McClure, Morris and the rest).

Kane says the things that others are not brave enough to say

And people won’t actually look deeper into these calls when most of the time they are right,

Has a better hit rate than most

FFS get BT off now. Why can't we have a sub for the commentators? The boofhead just called Chris Fagan, Dennis Pagan. Lost count of the number of times he has called players by the wrong name. Has even called the wrong team today in one passage of play..

Channel 7, wake up to yourselves. We deserve better than this garbage.

Yes. I had to rewind to make sure I wasn't hearing things but he did find a way to get Chris Fagan and Denis Pagan mixed up.

i did the same thing, thought he was comparing Fagan to Pagan first time i heard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FFS get BT off now. Why can't we have a sub for the commentators? The boofhead just called Chris Fagan, Dennis Pagan. Lost count of the number of times he has called players by the wrong name. Has even called the wrong team today in one passage of play..

Channel 7, wake up to yourselves. We deserve better than this garbage.
Channel 7 lame as usual, but BT was bloody awful. In addition to the above errors, the constant incorrect guessing that shots are goals instead of behinds (and vice versa) is infuriating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back