Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Further evidence that former Head of Sport lost the ability to read the room in the latter days of his tenure. No wonder he got the tijuana

Lewis Martin knew he was getting the sack. He also know JB and BT’s positions would be in trouble under a new boss as everyone knows they’re not well liked (particularly BT). So Martin locked them into new five year deals before he was flicked as a “parting gift” for the new boss to be stuck with them on the call team.

There was a moment early on in the game where they were silent and we (the viewer) were able to take in more of the crowd noise. Having that the ENTIRE game would be epic, riding the cheers or boos of the crowd would be stellar. In fact AFL commentary should be more like tennis - only commentate once a goal is scored :p

The original Fox Footy channel allowed you to mute the commentary and hear the crowd instead as well as choosing one of a couple of camera angles. Made you feel like you were there.

The upside is we get to choose which TV commentary team we would like to hear from next year.

No BT.
No JB.
No Abby.

I listened to Channel 7 commentary for the very last time last Saturday.

Music to my ears.
Confirmed it alsoincludes thegrand final?

Brayshaw did also have like an entire quarter to come up with something memorable at the siren, and we got 'caught lighting in a bottle' in the most indifferent way possible.
Cannot get over how horrible he has become.

Watched the Brownlow and the round summaries were filled with awful commentary moments of his.

Cripps carries the Blues home against Port, kicks a big sealer and the knob goes “WHAT IS THIS?!?”

Maybe Bruce and Dennis were past their use by but gee wiz they were so much better than the shit we have now.

Cannot get over how horrible he has become.

Watched the Brownlow and the round summaries were filled with awful commentary moments of his.

Cripps carries the Blues home against Port, kicks a big sealer and the knob goes “WHAT IS THIS?!?”

Maybe Bruce and Dennis were past their use by but gee wiz they were so much better than the shit we have now.

Rather appropriate that when they showed Jamie Elliott’s contender for Mark of the Year Brayshaw is robotically screaming “penetrating ball” for the millionth time.

I like JB on radio, but I reckon he came up a few annoying cliches, such as "lower the eyes", "underground handball" and "fisted" (no one says 'punch' anymore)
He's the worst with the "Chiseling ball", "Penetrating ball" nonsense too.

Assume it's a carry over from his cricket commentary.

nope it doesn't

Broadcast live on Foxtel and Kayo will be every single AFL/AFLW home and away match, every AFL/AFLW final (excluding the AFL Grand Final), all pre-season matches – and all with their own Fox Footy commentary teams. Foxtel/Kayo will also broadcast all AFL events including the AFL draft and Awards nights (excluding the Brownlow).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I spoke to someone in the media yesterday and they said no.

I am hoping they will do a call of the game (it has to be from the studio as they wouldn't be given access to do it in the MCG) and then at 6.00pm when the embargo ends we are provided with the replay with Fox commentary and no ads in play.

He had so long he might have overthought it.
The Lions theme song was synonymous with the MCG on Grand Final day in the first half of the 2000's - make a reference to that team/the song and link it back to the current team. "It has been 21 years since one of the greatest sides of all time won their third premiership in a row and now the pride of Brisbane town is back with a mighty vengeance as a familiar tune engulfs the MCG."

I spoke to someone in the media yesterday and they said no.

I am hoping they will do a call of the game (it has to be from the studio as they wouldn't be given access to do it in the MCG) and then at 6.00pm when the embargo ends we are provided with the replay with Fox commentary and no ads in play.
I think that is highly unlikely

Lewis Martin knew he was getting the sack. He also know JB and BT’s positions would be in trouble under a new boss as everyone knows they’re not well liked (particularly BT). So Martin locked them into new five year deals before he was flicked as a “parting gift” for the new boss to be stuck with them on the call team.
Head of Sport doesn't have final sign off though - it would have gone further up the line for final approval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ch 7 Commentary - is it intervention time?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back