Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. WCE (R17, Fri 12/07 8:10pm OS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our.midfield is trash. The rest of the team is quite.good.
Our mids are supposed to be good players, and our ruckmen dominates so basically .something about our mid set up is totally off. This good news is that this is fixable, the bad news is that they haven't fixed it for years.

Our.midfield is trash. The rest of the team is quite.good.
Our mids are supposed to be good players, and our ruckmen dominates so basically .something about our mid set up is totally off. This good news is that this is fixable, the bad news is that they haven't fixed it for years.

mwhop
I tend to agree with a lot of what you wrote,alas our midfield being trash well maybe.
And also most of this was media driven as in Collingwood having the best midfield.

(Personally the best midfield I have seen where Brisbane Voss,Black,Akermanis,Lappin,Hart etc)

But anyways.
AFL clubs are smart and to my way of thinking they have worked out what players to target and shut down tag etc.
And we have not reacted,Or have the players to react,I am talking body size and pace.
Our defense every week is under massive pressure and this pressure flows down the ground.
To me our defence so far has been the highlight of the season.

I feel we are small as in size in the midfield.I want some bulldozers in there and spread the receivers to other parts of the ground.

So we had like 30 inside 50s against Hawthorn. Don't know whether Coxs form is the main issue.

The issue I see is our lack of pressure at stoppages, they waltz through us and get deep ones. Teams are taking on our weak tackles and breaking them. We on the other hand, are not breaking tackles and are playing sideways from stoppages. We should be able to dominate where we want to go with Grundy. But we aren't. At least this week we know Grundy will get evened by Nicnat. Maybe that somehow helps?

We really need Adams now and Greenwood and Noble look like the other guys that could come in and help.

Thomas likely an out, so Varcoe is a big chance to come back.

I'd go with

Out: Daicos, Thomas and Sier
In: Adams, Greenwood and Noble

Hopefully Adams gets up. Greenwood too, to do a job on Shuey, not to be sent back

I'd love to see Noble get a run too, but not sure we'd make that many changes

I'll suggest Daicos out, but against my better judgment. Would love to see him get a run of games, but just squeezed out for this one

A rocket for Sier, another big one for Wills in VFL and I'd be prepared to make that call then

In. Adams Greenwood
Out. Thomas Daicos

B. Aish Roughead Scharenberg
HB. Crisp Moore Maynard
C. Sidebottom Pendlebury Phillips
HF. Hoskin-Elliott Mihocek Brown
F. De Goey Cox Elliott
R. Grundy Treloar Adams
I. Greenwood Sier Mayne Quaynor
E. Daicos Crocker T.Brown Noble

No. No Hutchings. or Vardy.

But they've still got Hickey? If there is one trump card that Brodie can play on NN is his around the ground tank, but they'll have Hickey to run with role for Grundy. Not sure if NN will have enough game time or tank to go the Journey - so Simmo may use Hickey for that sole purpose.

Also Hutchings is their Greenwood but given their midfield depth they may sacrifice Yeo or Shuey on Sides to tag and back themselves to win the stoppage / clearance ball anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if it matches up this way. Don't know if I can watch this game - it doesn't look promising.

But they've still got Hickey? If there is one trump card that Brodie can play on NN is his around the ground tank, but they'll have Hickey to run with role for Grundy. Not sure if NN will have enough game time or tank to go the Journey - so Simmo may use Hickey for that sole purpose.

Also Hutchings is their Greenwood but given their midfield depth they may sacrifice Yeo or Shuey on Sides to tag and back themselves to win the stoppage / clearance ball anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if it matches up this way. Don't know if I can watch this game - it doesn't look promising.
Grundy is better than both of them. He can handle it.

Cox to play out of the square, let’s the small forward line be the leading targets along with checkers.

I like this (of course he'll rotate in the ruck as well), however it's the bulk of your post that explains it. If we play to our strengths (suffocate the opp when we don't have it, speedy transition etc.) then we're a chance.

If we attempt to play like wc against them, well they'll just bring their own footy and we'll make Freo look good.

Grundy is better than both of them. He can handle it.

Oh no doubt, and back to my post. This gives an opportunity, wc can't afford to have Grundy running both ways all day unattended - Nic Nat won't be able to go that journey and they won't even give him the game time to do so......................... they'll have to use Hickey to attempt to nullify around the ground.

NN won't be able to just waltz around against treacle slow opp like Sandilands, Cox and Grundy are a much different proposition.

As far as the centre bounces go Grundy v Nic Nat does pose a problem (for any opp to be frank). NN has such agility he's difficult to defeat. Grundy v good but not NN.

I'm not religious but I'm praying we show something - something unexpected but my faith has been tested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they'll show something. Get away from Melbourne and on the road sometimes is good.

Anyone wanting to attend Perth training, its on Thursday 5:30-6:30 at Optus.

Was hoping it was going to be on a tad earlier as I have footy training myself so probably won't make it.

Oh no doubt, and back to my post. This gives an opportunity, wc can't afford to have Grundy running both ways all day unattended - Nic Nat won't be able to go that journey and they won't even give him the game time to do so......................... they'll have to use Hickey to attempt to nullify around the ground.

NN won't be able to just waltz around against treacle slow opp like Sandilands, Cox and Grundy are a much different proposition.

As far as the centre bounces go Grundy v Nic Nat does pose a problem (for any opp to be frank). NN has such agility he's difficult to defeat. Grundy v good but not NN.

I'm not religious but I'm praying we show something - something unexpected but my faith has been tested.
Might be a good thing, let’s hope our midfield is better at reading NN taps than Grundys

JAY CLARK

Collingwood’s mid-season draft pick-up John Noble has rocketed into the selection frame as coach Nathan Buckley considers making changes for Friday night’s Grand Final rematch against West Coast.

Noble had another 28 possessions in the VFL on Saturday, while hard nut midfielder Taylor Adams may still be another week away to fix a serious groin injury.

Spearhead Mason Cox will have to fight to keep his spot at training this week after struggling in the Pies’ surprise loss to Hawthorn on Friday night.

Collingwood has been soundly beaten in the air in its three games against the Eagles last year and may still need Cox to compete hard in attack against key backs Jeremy McGovern and Tom Barrass.

Collingwood has a tough run against West Coast, Greater Western Sydney and Richmond over the next three weeks and need to regain form quickly to keep hold of a top-four spot.

Noble, 22, has bolted into the selection frame after impressing with his elite speed and decision-making skills over the past three games in the VFL.

In particular, his kicking could become a weapon off half back as the Magpies look to rediscover some more run and precision ball-use out of defence.

noble.jpg

Noble, who was emergency for the loss to Hawthorn on Friday night, has averaged 24 possessions since he was taken from West Adelaide in the SANFL with pick No. 14 in the mid-season draft.

Collingwood had only 35 inside 50s against the Hawks and will look to refine its ball movement this week to help better supply its forward line targets.

AFL legend Wayne Carey said Cox had to provide a stronger contest in the air after finishing with only six possessions and three marks against the Hawks.

“He had a great year last year,” Carey said on Triple M.

“What happened the other night, and this is why you say he is out form, he got outmarked by Jarman Impey and by James Sicily, guys who are a lot shorter than him.

“What Collingwood rely on, as a bare minimum, is that he is not outmarked, and that’s what is occurring on him at the moment.

“But their ball movement is the (bigger) concern because when they move the ball with some fluency, they look dangerous

“They can’t play this stagnant, stop-start game.”

WC get found out when you take the game on. If we play our chip chip turnover game, we won’t get within a bulls roar of them. Percentage could drop below 110 with a good trouncing.

WC get found out when you take the game on. If we play our chip chip turnover game, we won’t get within a bulls roar of them. Percentage could drop below 110 with a good trouncing.

Weagles defense is set up to counter teams who take the game on and turn the footy over.

I reckon we might just come out and play 4 quarters of that exhilarating, first quarter 2018 GF footy and blow them off the park! Well, probably not.... but we really need to throw caution into the wind and just go after them from the opening bounce.

Can we disguise Cox and Mihocek as Jeremy McGovern and place them either side of the forward line? We will see Treloar, Phillips et al with precision kicks for them to mark everytime . How's that for a strategy?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back