Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. WCE (R17, Fri 12/07 8:10pm OS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else think we should do what Port did in their game against the Eagles and go inside 50 with 'chaos balls'? (forgive me for using that hated term)

WC want to intercept the ball in the air and quickly rebound it with long kicks, and we are currently butchering the ball going inside 50 and our marking forwards are down on form. Keep the ball on the ground if no leading target and scramble their defence.

I guess the problem is that this would rely on:

a) moving the ball quickly to our forward line
b) getting the ball inside 50 at all
c) our forwards stepping up their pressure and tackling

Anyone else think we should do what Port did in their game against the Eagles and go inside 50 with 'chaos balls'? (forgive me for using that hated term)

WC want to intercept the ball in the air and quickly rebound it with long kicks, and we are currently butchering the ball going inside 50 and our marking forwards are down on form. Keep the ball on the ground if no leading target and scramble their defence.

I guess the problem is that this would rely on:

a) moving the ball quickly to our forward line
b) getting the ball inside 50 at all
c) our forwards stepping up their pressure and tackling

Well anything than what we have offered in our past 4 meetings is worth a try. Our game plan doesn't beat the eagles. So we need plan B.

I think they'll show something. Get away from Melbourne and on the road sometimes is good.

Anyone wanting to attend Perth training, its on Thursday 5:30-6:30 at Optus.
They need to show something.
Well anything than what we have offered in our past 4 meetings is worth a try. Our game plan doesn't beat the eagles. So we need plan B.
Our game plan in the first 20 minutes of last years grand final beats the Weagles.

Let’s try that!

Our game plan in the first 20 minutes of last years grand final beats the Weagles.

Let’s try that!

For 4 quarters, not just for 20 mins and then go to sleep

They need to show something.

Let’s try that!

They just nullified it. We can use that here and there but we need plan B as well.

Tim Michell

Collingwood will give Mason Cox another chance to pull himself out of his recent form slump, with the American set to retain his place in the Magpies’ team to face West Coast on Friday.
Cox has struggled in the past two weeks against North Melbourne and Hawthorn, averaging 2.5 marks and 7.5 disposals.
Those statistics are three disposals less than he averaged from Round 16 last season to the grand final and well down on his six marks per game during that stretch.
Magpies coach Nathan Buckley confirmed Cox would tackle the Eagles.
“Being able to compete in the front half is definitely something we can improve on over the last couple of weeks and it’s definitely a challenge the Eagles throw at you,” he said.
“But I would suggest that the simple elements, the basic elements of the game, the contest and the pressure, is what the Eagles have done consistently than better than we have in our games.
“That’s a challenge for us.”
Pushed on whether Cox would travel to Perth, Buckley simply said: “Yes”.
Meanwhile, mid-season draftee John Noble will make his debut against the Eagles, completing a rapid ascension from the SANFL to AFL.

Ins - Adams, Noble, Greenwood
Out - Daicos, Thomas, Brown

Get some bigger bodies around the ball and some outside pace.

We can't allow McGovern to take the piss like he always does. Try and get Mayney to him and hit up our mid size forwards like WHE, De Goey and Elliott across half forward. Cox needs to stay deeper on Barrass and create a contest getting the ball to ground to allow our smalls to go to work. Sidey needs to play more forward, with his footy smarts he can make someone like Hurn more accountable. Grundy will be getting himself up and you'd love to see him run Nic Nat off his

It's going to be a fascinating contest, we simply must respond. Form is temporary, class is permanent. I'm backing us to flip our form around on Friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This week is really a free hit for us in a way, we ain't expected to win nor should we but if we somehow pull off a win we should finish top 4 comfortably. I dont mind saving our injured stars for the giants they look more vulnerable then the eagles right now.

The last shred of hope I'm clinging to is that the interstate trip as a heavy underdog against the team that broke their hearts last year galvanises them and wakes them up from their slumber.

Which will then hopefully lead into another interstate trip against a GWS team in form that's slipping missing their best mid

Which then leads into a match against the team they love to play more than any other

Which would THEN hopefully lead into playing some consistent form leading into finals.

A man can dream I guess. Talk about your straw grasping.

Just get it and kick it inside 50 into space. Do not kick to any contests. If we get it inside 50 we can let our smalls run onto it. We win
Just loke the change we made for the 2010 GF replay after St Kilda intercepted everything the week before (Fisher and co.)

Sen:
Maynard Moore Scharenberg
Quaynor Noble Roughead

Grundy Treloar Sidebottom
Crisp Phillips Pendlebury

Mihocek WHE Brown
De Goey Cox Elliott

Int:
Aish Mayne Daicos Thomas/Greenwood 50/50

Emer:
Sier Wills Varcoe Crocker

Could we give Noble a run with role on Gaff? Elite runner and will be hungry to prove himself.
Greenwood to Shoey/Yeo, have us put in a heavily defensive game to give a a glimmer of hope?
I agree with a poster above, always kick to space i50, even if it hits the deck 15 metres from nearest player and get a stoppage, we are sound for stoppage goals (in fact the only thing we might be good at!)

Wrapt to see Noble given a go. Liked what I have seen so far. Has some pace too which is something we are lacking at the moment.
Between him and Quaynor I would be letting them off the leash and play with some attacking flair.

Greenwood hopefully comes back in, would consider having him perform a run with role.

Shame about Adams but good news that him and Howe are likely to return against GWS the following week.

INS: Greenwood, Noble
OUTS: Daicos, Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back