Preview Changes & Pre-match Discussion vs. WCE (R17, Fri 12/07 8:10pm OS)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ins: Wills, Adams, Noble
Outs: Thomas, Daicos, Mayne

Ins: I would bring in Wills because we need big bodied mids to counteract WCE's 189cm+ mids. Wills has averaged 3 clearances and 5 tackles per game this year.
Adams speaks for himself.
Noble for outside run as our midfield is slow and one dimensional. He will replace Mayne on the wing.

Outs: Horses for courses. Mayne has been serviceable and has played the link up role well. However, he lacks pace and his kicks lacked penetration. No more evident than last night when on several occasions he had a teammate alone 35-40m away and his kicks did not make the distance, allowing Sicily to intercept mark.

Thomas has been missing in action this year. Has averaged 7 kicks and 3 turnovers per game. He has provided minimal defensive forward pressure with only 3 tackles I50 in his past 10 games, and has kicked 6 goals in the past 10 games.

Daicos tackled very well last night but was let down by his disposal with only 40% DE. If we were playing any other side I would have been inclined to leave him in, but we need big bodied mids.

With Adams' expected return this week I would move Sidebottom to the wing to replace Phillips as the go to man for transition. Sidebottom has the endurance to replace him.

Phillips averages 25 possessions (15.2K/9.6HB) per game. However, averages only 16 effective disposals per game with 5.6 Turnovers. Sidebottom averages just over 25 possessions, however his effective disposal is 5% higher.

Maybe but I don’t mean to be too negative, more realistic. Unhappy about the last two weeks but reckon we have all got a bit overhyped about how good our list is. On 2018-19 performance we are more 5-8 level and on a slow improve. We almost stole a
flag in 2018 which would have been justice for what we have had stolen over the journey.

Work to do and we need to improve if we are to be a real contender but 2018-19 has been positive

I really don’t get this - we would have stolen the flag in 2018 if we’d won the GF.
Is that what you were thinking on GF day?

WCE haven't been setting the world on fire either. Take the game on. Handball, run, fast ball movement and we can win this.

They just smashed the Dockers by 90 pts!!!...Nic Nat arguably BOG in just his 2nd game back. Only way we win, is if the ebola virus spreads through the WC camp this week..

I really don’t get this - we would have stolen the flag in 2018 if we’d won the GF.
Is that what you were thinking on GF day?
Yep. Stolen in the sense I thought we were about the 6-8th best team for the year but we worked our very kind draw to maximum advantage and hit our best form for the year in September. I would have no trouble taking the flag home with glee but like the Dogs of 2017, the Crows of 98 and 97 there would have been flaws in the system which we took advantage of and had a big contribution to us winning

As I noted we have been on the other end of fortune plenty of times so some luck our way in finals wouldhave been fine

Maybe but I don’t mean to be too negative, more realistic. Unhappy about the last two weeks but reckon we have all got a bit overhyped about how good our list is. On 2018-19 performance we are more 5-8 level and on a slow improve. We almost stole a
flag in 2018 which would have been justice for what we have had stolen over the journey.

Work to do and we need to improve if we are to be a real contender but 2018-19 has been positive
You were saying similar things last year, and look what happened.

Ins: Wills, Adams, Noble
Outs: Thomas, Daicos, Mayne

Ins: I would bring in Wills because we need big bodied mids to counteract WCE's 189cm+ mids. Wills has averaged 3 clearances and 5 tackles per game this year.
Adams speaks for himself.
Noble for outside run as our midfield is slow and one dimensional. He will replace Mayne on the wing.

Outs: Horses for courses. Mayne has been serviceable and has played the link up role well. However, he lacks pace and his kicks lacked penetration. No more evident than last night when on several occasions he had a teammate alone 35-40m away and his kicks did not make the distance, allowing Sicily to intercept mark.

Thomas has been missing in action this year. Has averaged 7 kicks and 3 turnovers per game. He has provided minimal defensive forward pressure with only 3 tackles I50 in his past 10 games, and has kicked 6 goals in the past 10 games.

Daicos tackled very well last night but was let down by his disposal with only 40% DE. If we were playing any other side I would have been inclined to leave him in, but we need big bodied mids.

With Adams' expected return this week I would move Sidebottom to the wing to replace Phillips as the go to man for transition. Sidebottom has the endurance to replace him.

Phillips averages 25 possessions (15.2K/9.6HB) per game. However, averages only 16 effective disposals per game with 5.6 Turnovers. Sidebottom averages just over 25 possessions, however his effective disposal is 5% higher.
I believe Daicos needs time, if he gets his hands on it a little more he has some class about him. Keep him rolling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's no one in the team to rise up and make a sratement when we need to. We have always struggled to stop a team when they come back from behind always letting them win through their momentum. When it happens most of our players just falls down like a pack of dominos either through a missed tackle, failed marking contest or just slipping down. Very very weak tbh.

Any other team a player coming back after injury, suspension or anything rise up to have immediate impact. Our players take 10 weeks to find form.

At the moment they look like a bunch of scared bunnies.

I don't mind losing if the team shows some fight. But they show anything but ...

I think Wills has to come in for Sier. Sier has been extremely poor and put pressure on our other mids with his lack of production, pressure and fumbling.

Adams is not likely in at the moment, so let's give Wills a big stage and hope he has some physical presence around the ball, our other mids have none.

In: Wills, Noble
Out: Sier, Daicos

If Daicos' name was Ben Kennedy there would be a lot more calling for him to be dropped. He failed to take numerous chances in the game and his kicking may look nice, but the end result, especially under pressure, often is not.

Seen a few mentions to drop Mayne, which based on form I don't think is incorrect. My only question on that is I think that his change in form is victim to the change of style. Last year mayne played some great footy on the wing for us as the "defensive" minded midfieler in our side. He was a stopper and the "safe" option in terms of him being a loose player and kicking to the next in the chain, and not allowing easy exit and movement down his wing.

Problem is all our midfielders are playing that same role, where it's defensive minded/safe football meaning Mayne doesn't stand out or really have a role. When our midfield was attacking and lethal going forward he was a nice counter balance as a defensive mid, if we aren't going to be going back to that style I agree with most here that there isn't really a spot for him.

Huge chance to show some aggressive mindset and attitude this week, if Sheed isn't being knocked around at every minute of play I'll be bitterly disappointed. Show some heart boys and prove that we had every right to win last year and do so again this year!

All that being said I'd be looking at Noble for JT, bring back in the attacking style of play and for goodness sake just leave Cox as a deep target inside 50, he is an absolute liability around the ground! And please let us have Adams back

Out: Thomas, Phillips
In: Noble, Adams

Maynard Roughead Scharenberg
Crisp Moore Quaynor

Grundy Adams Pendlebury
Sidebottom Treloar Mayne

Brown Mihocek Hoskin-Elliot
DeGoey Cox Elliot

Sier Noble Aish Daicos

Was Goldsack missing yesterday's VFL match foreshadowing his inclusion against the eagles? Potentially to quell McGovern? Quaynor didn't play VFL the week before his debut.

Out: Thomas, Hoskin-Elliott, Cox
In: Adams/Goldsack, Noble, Lynch

Cox shouldn't hold his place after his game against the hawks; Lynch isn't really a forward, but he can take a grab and provide support in the ruck. With Reid injured it's the only option we have without shifting Moore forward.

Can't see Howe & Adams being back this week.
I have been a defender of Cox for a long time but can't be no more he needs to get back to the VFL and learn how not to get pushed under the ball.
Changes Out : Thomas, Daicos, Cox
In : Noble, Varcoe, Lynch

Unlikely 2 players debut but I can't see Moore moving forward isn't an option until Langdon and Howe are back.

For all the Thomas haters, I’m not one but could be in time.

He can play but what’s up with him?
He’s a midfielder playing a forward flankers roll , they should swap him and Phillips around a bit , at least then Phillips’ crap kicks will be chaos balls in the fwd line instead of going down the oppositions throat.
IMO.

Just the type of game we will win. No one expects us to not even our own so called fans.
We are missing quite a few, Adams in the midfield puts sidey on the wing where he plays his best and degoey stays up forward. Put Jeremy howe in the backline and then not all the onus is on Darcy Moore and Jordan roughead. Even Langdon in the backline is important.

They are just out of sorts with the changes every week,not finding any continuity. Also bring in Greenwood to tag someone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back