Prediction Changes Swans V Dogs 3.20pm Sunday 28/7/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Optimistic Dog

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to see many changes. Maybe Jones if fit for a stiff Coffield. Garcia or Caleb for Sanders. I think we need to worry about their speed in the midfield with Grundy giving them first use. This is where Port got us. Not sure what we do about Warner probably have Ted going head to head he was BOG last game until he got concussed.

At the moment it's all down to how everyone pulls up, Jones would be an instant in for Coffield if a little stiff. If Sanders is due a rest then Garcia is someone that could come in for him.

Jones for Coffield if ready.

I can’t see Bevo making any other unforced changes after the last fortnight. The team is more or less settled now other than 2 or 3 bench positions.

Can't see any changes unless someone pulls up sore from what was a tough slog. Garcia and Baker next inline if someone doesn't get up.
L.Jones still another week away.

The VFL game was a dream and in the mud so didn’t tell us much but here is my takeaways:

- Caleb still a very good player - BOG and skills and tank stood out in the wet

- Busslinger will be hard to keep out. Even in the wet he looked above Keath (sad for him who was OK for a terrible day for talls) but Budd just looks so confident - and sweeps the backline next best player

- García wasn’t as dominant in the wet but is quick and hard at it probably third best and deserves his spot

- Baker next best - only about 14/15 possessions but three goals - even in bad conditions he is a very good shot at goal

- Gags worked hard and showed his speed

I think we need to play a bit faster and better skilled team against Swans. They also play three tall forwards.

1. VDM for Garcia - has to happen - VDM has a bigger tank but smaller grounds Garcia is much better contested, can rotate through midfield and consistently kicks goals. Unless he has told Bevo he is gone he should play - if he has Baker

2. Jones plays if fit and either Khamis or Coffield will be unfairly dropped. Both played well and don’t deserve it. Khamis probably took the points above Coffield because of his interceptions but Coffield better on mids and probably better on mid sized types. But match ups will be relevant. Sydney play Amarty, McDonald and McLean (2nd Ruck). If Jones plays on McDonald and Lobster on Amarty then who is better on McLean? Khamis, JoD or Buss? Probably a taller player. Bramble, Dale and Duryea probably needed for Sydney smalls Fox, Heeney and Papley etc - smalls are consistently their core scoring machine. I don’t think it is fair but best match ups probably have Jones and Buss or JoD in for Coffield and Khamis. JOD has had a few off and probably needs a run - so Buss may debut.

3. Sanders was good but when Macrae came on he started cracking up possessions - swap them around. Sanders to sub

4. I get that McNeil was better and harasses but he just can’t execute under pressure and isn’t up to standard yet - misses goals and drops the ball. Tackling is low pressure and more about intent - he does that very well. But He is a small forward and needs to kick goals or set them up. Would prefer Baker or Caleb for these reasons but don’t think a change will be made. Arty played his best game for a while and was very influential- so could be a smoky there - we look our most dangerous when he is up and about but still doesn’t look like he has had the breakout game needed for the call up. So believe McNeil will stay.

It's a tough week and I don't envy our selectors. Any team that can fist our Bogey side by 50 points, should Have earn't some trust.

However, the conversation will still be there. Garcia replaces McNeil? I guess so. Garcia's defensive output could definitely help around stoppage. We've steadied that ship in last two weeks through sheer Intense pressure around ball and certain role-players stepping up(Sam Darcy). But I doubt this intensity can be withheld for another four weeks, that is where fresh relatively clean legs will come in handy.

Macrae must come in properly IMO. He's definitely slowed down as of late, but he can be so clean if our inside mids can get the ball to him.

Backline should remain unchanged until Jones is fit and firing. And before you ask, Buku looks to be a much cleaner distributor than JOD.

Last edited:
It staggers me how Vandermeer is in the side, he has played one good game this year but he was awful against Cats. And we have Macrae as sub even though he’s been building well last few games

In Garcia Macrae into 22
Out Vandermeer and make McNeil sub
You got no idea !!

The VFL game was a dream and in the mud so didn’t tell us much but here is my takeaways:

- Caleb still a very good player - BOG and skills and tank stood out in the wet

- Busslinger will be hard to keep out. Even in the wet he looked above Keath (sad for him who was OK for a terrible day for talls) but Budd just looks so confident - and sweeps the backline next best player

- García wasn’t as dominant in the wet but is quick and hard at it probably third best and deserves his spot

- Baker next best - only about 14/15 possessions but three goals - even in bad conditions he is a very good shot at goal

- Gags worked hard and showed his speed

I think we need to play a bit faster and better skilled team against Swans. They also play three tall forwards.

1. VDM for Garcia - has to happen - VDM has a bigger tank but smaller grounds Garcia is much better contested, can rotate through midfield and consistently kicks goals. Unless he has told Bevo he is gone he should play - if he has Baker

2. Jones plays if fit and either Khamis or Coffield will be unfairly dropped. Both played well and don’t deserve it. Khamis probably took the points above Coffield because of his interceptions but Coffield better on mids and probably better on mid sized types. But match ups will be relevant. Sydney play Amarty, McDonald and McLean (2nd Ruck). If Jones plays on McDonald and Lobster on Amarty then who is better on McLean? Khamis, JoD or Buss? Probably a taller player. Bramble, Dale and Duryea probably needed for Sydney smalls Fox, Heeney and Papley etc - smalls are consistently their core scoring machine. I don’t think it is fair but best match ups probably have Jones and Buss or JoD in for Coffield and Khamis. JOD has had a few off and probably needs a run - so Buss may debut.

3. Sanders was good but when Macrae came on he started cracking up possessions - swap them around. Sanders to sub

4. I get that McNeil was better and harasses but he just can’t execute under pressure and isn’t up to standard yet - misses goals and drops the ball. Tackling is low pressure and more about intent - he does that very well. But He is a small forward and needs to kick goals or set them up. Would prefer Baker or Caleb for these reasons but don’t think a change will be made. Arty played his best game for a while and was very influential- so could be a smoky there - we look our most dangerous when he is up and about but still doesn’t look like he has had the breakout game needed for the call up. So believe McNeil will stay.
Arty had minimal influence yesterday so not sure what game you were watching. Previous week he was excellent against the blues. Before yesterday I think he had a great month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd prefer to have Daniel and Macrae in over McNeil and VDM.
I know McNeil and VDM bring some important attributes but I just wouldn’t trust them on the big stage. McNeil’s ability to kick behinds from areas he should convert at 90%+ is truly remarkable.

Garcia really should be in for Vandermeer, don’t think there is anything VDM does better than him, but I don’t think it’s happening. Thought Garcia was playing really well too before getting dropped and it sounds like that form has transferred into the VFL.

Not always the biggest fans of McNeil or Poulter but have been impressed by their form since coming in. McNeil’s forward pressure has been noticeable and has won some good one on one contests. Unfortunately he has shanked all his chances when he gets the ball in hand because it could have been two really impactful games if he was more polished. Poulter’s workrate and skills have been good down the wing.

If Jones is right I think he has to come in, he was just too good this year before getting injured. Arguably in our top 5 players. Don’t know who comes out for him, the defensive unit has held up really well against two different but very accomplished forward lines in two vastly different conditions. They can all hold their heads high. Whoever misses out would be very unlucky but Jones might not be ready yet. JOD will have to work through the VFL to win back a spot.

If it's going to be a fast deck I could see Macrae go out and Garcia to sub. Jones if ready comes in and Coffield out.

Swans we are coming for you big time. You got us last time because we had 3 injuries during the game. No Papley, Rampe, McInerney and maybe Rowbottom gives us a better chance. Hope Poulter gets the run with role on Guilden, Red goes head with head with Warner, Bont head to head with Heaney. If Tim can negate Grundy's influence we have got this. Our forward line is far superior to theirs especially without Papley. We just need the supply and execution and we be sending a big message to the competition.

I don't think the side should be unchanged just because we had a famous win. We should always be looking to improve and if the fringe players know there is likely to be at least one change every week it keeps them all sharp and looking over their shoulder. Knowing that a solid game will see them retain their spot but a lazy or ill-disciplined game will see them back in the VFL. That expectation helps the side avoid complacency and continue to get better. It also rewards strong form from listed players in the VFL, so they have something to play for.

Judging by Bevo's post-match presser it sounds like the sub decision was made very late and possibly due to the conditions, so I reckon Macrae does come back into the 22.

Vandermeer at the bare minimum has to be relegated to sub but preferably dropped. His pressure has been keeping him in the side and yet his last two weeks have been poor on that front as well. This week he finished with 12 pressure points, ranked 22/23, Macrae had 13 from about 10 minutes of play. You never want to be ranked lower than the sub who comes on late in Q4.

Sprint efforts only get you so far, you have to either tackle or use the ball and the last month has shown VDM has not been up to it.

McNeil stays in but I'm not confident that he'll be in the 23 beyond this year.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Changes Swans V Dogs 3.20pm Sunday 28/7/24

Remove this Banner Ad

Back