Unofficial Preview Changes V GWS Semi Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey all, we are looking at 2 cars driving from Melbourne to the game. Anybody who has been, what is the parking like around the area. Do they have plenty of places for free parking or is it all stuff you need to prebook ? Cheers
Look up Sydney Olympic park. They have multiple parking stations all through the precinct. There is one really close to the ground. Pre parking will be ok.

Not sure mate. Just basing it off the fact we usually wear the clash strip in away games v GWS.
I can’t for the life of me work out why the Giants don’t wear their black strip as they wore against Swans when playing Hawthorn. The two times they’ve played each other this year you could barely recognise who was who.

Without looking into the game and/or teams to much at this stage, can I just ask the MC to please put some ****ing time into Jones this week. He’s burnt us in both games this year.
Answerth has to play for this reason. Yes he played in Round 7 but our entire defensive structure fell apart that night, largely due to (lack of) work rate.

But he missed in our recent match with them and they were able to score heavily from stoppages, as were Collingwood the following week.

Since then, we've only conceded 1 goal total from stoppages outside of centre bounces, compared to 9 in our two recent losses.

What Noah brings to the team doesn't really show up on the stat sheet, but to me his impact is in this space, and I don't think his presence has really affected our ball movement. We've still scored reasonably freely from our back half since his return, with 2 expected scores of over 100.

I didn't see the VFL but it sounded like Bruce was influential, so I'd be happy to see him come back as a pretty versatile sub. If we want impact in attack, he may offer more than McKenna, and he's a much better tackler.

Apart from that, I guess Joyce for Payne 🤦 I know we are holding out hope that Jack will be right to play, but even if he does, we know Jack's output is known to drop off markedly if he is not fully fit. So a real question mark there. Regardless, I think we just let Joyce play on Hogan. Yes, the Giants want this, but it means Andrews won't be bound to the goal square like he was last time, and will have a bit more licence to read the play and come off his man (Cadman presumably). OR dictate his positioning to him if Cadman plays a negating role on him.

Plus, separating their key forwards may also reduce the space the Giants' small forwards have to work with inside forward 50. Normally, as a defensive group you don't want to be separated, but forcing the tsunami to kick long to a one on one will be preferable to giving them the space to hit up leading smalls in scoring range.

The Giants may seek to remedy this by playing Cadman a long way up the field, clearing out the forward line in that way to give both Hogan and their smalls more space. This has the potential to be to Andrews' advantage, allowing him to play higher up the field and intercept in more dangerous attacking positions for us.

That's a double-edged sword for us too of course. With Andrews playing high up the field we run the risk of being exposed over the top and out the back. But seeing first hand the carry on and the ring-a-ring-a-Rosie from our game a few weeks ago, Andrews was largely ineffective on Hogan anyway. So I think we're better off simplifying things, getting Harris more involved in the game, and acknowledging that we run the risk of Hogan having a night out.

But if he does have a night out, it'll probably be as much on the back of good supply and a lack of midfield pressure than poor play by Joyce. So I'm okay with taking that risk, knowing that if it really does go t!ts up we can move Harris back onto him if we have to.

Any Brisbane people going down for this one? I’m semi keen to go down
I'm heading down. Bit of an extended trip, Thursday to Monday, working from our Sydney office for a couple of days and catching up with mates from my time living there 🙂

We are going.. 4 people, driving down, flights are as dear as poison.
The trick, to me, is to book everything in advance and make the trips cancellable.

Grand Final flights/accommodation in October.

For the earlier finals, jump on Twitter, follow guys in the know like Tom Morris (NOT Jon Ralph 😂🤦) who get word of when the finals are before they're officially announced.

Then book everything in one go. All cancellable. This year it was Sydney for week 2, Melbourne AND Adelaide (have already cancelled these) for week 3. If your Elimination Final is on Saturday it's reasonable to assume your Semi and Prelim will also be on Saturday. Last year was a mess because there were 3 finals at the MCG in week 1 which caused all sorts of scheduling stuff ups.

Then when you don't need the flights, you cancel them and you only pay the cancel fee, which is usually about $20-$30 per flight. Accommodation you can often cancel with no fee at all.

You need a couple of things for this. Discipline's the main one... I put away a bit of coin into a separate account each week over the course of the 10-11 months to make sure that come mid-August I have enough to fund potentially 3 away finals (remembering I've already booked the Grand Final).

You also need to have attention to detail, to make sure you are booking the right flights on the right dates. Easy to get them mixed up when you try to do it all at once!

And a dash of open-mindedness can be useful. I'm generally happy to fly from/to the Gold Coast instead of Brisbane airport if it's means the flights are like half the price, which they often are. Also, I couldn't work out for the life of me why flights home from Melbourne on the Sunday after the prelim were so much more $$$ than for, say, the Sunday before. Then I realised, ah, Victorian school holidays start that weekend. So that day I'm flying home via Sydney. It's stupid that it's cheaper, but that's how it was.

I know all this organising and logistics etc ain't for everyone, but the alternative is you get stung paying through the nose for flights less than a week in advance, as you saw when you went to book. I've been there... The 2022 finals put quite a hole in my wallet! So this is my remedy 🙂

Something I may look at in future is using a multi or two with the betting agencies to hedge my costs somewhat. For example, when we were 2nd on the ladder after the Saints game, it might have been worth putting a bet on GWS/Collingwood/Essendon to beat us. Think of it like insurance: if we win, that's money lost of course, but also we aren't travelling. If we lose, you win the bet, and those winnings can pay for your travel. Anyway I didn't do that this year, but something I might look at in the future if the opportunity arises.

Last edited:
There's very little free parking in the area. If you want that, look at parking near Concord West train station and walking over - it's about a 20-30 minute walk. Another option for free parking is near Lidcombe train station and get the shuttle train over. Other than that you'll be looking at paid parking and definitely pre-book that, it's cheaper and safer. It all gets worse again if there's any NRL finals on the Saturday (haven't checked their schedule).
NRL is at Pemriff on the Friday night and Olympic Park on the Sunday. Melbourne and Townsville on the Saturday, so both codes are keeping out of each others' way.

We are staying at Ibis Olympic Park on game night, we should get there early afternoon... no good places to eat around there? Decent pub meal would be fine.
Not sure if it's still there but I've had a couple of feeds at a Ribs N Rumps across the road from the train station and that is pretty decent.

Oh and there's a Macca's. Fill yer boots.

The Canterbury-Manly game was expected to be played next Saturday night and would have been if the Sea Eagles were hosting.

But with the game now being played at Accor Stadium, the NRL didn’t want it to clash with the GWS-Brisbane AFL game at the same precinct next Saturday night.

For that reason the clash was moved to Sunday and Cowboys-Knights game was moved to the Saturday night slot, according to The Sydney Morning Herald.

It means the winner of the Bulldogs-Sea Eagles clash will have a two-day shorter turnaround for their semi-final against the loser of the Panthers and Roosters, who will kick off the finals series at Penrith on Friday night.

The Storm-Sharks qualifying final will be played on Saturday in Melbourne when there are no AFL finals being played.
Yeah the NRL have made a mess of this. Nothing wrong with having Bulldogs v Manly on the Saturday at 4pm at Olympic Park. Fair dinkum I reckon my mates and I would have gone to both games (who to barrack for would be a problem tho). Staggered starts, leeg fans leaving as AFL fans arrive. Would actually work out better because the trains going back and forth would actually be full in both directions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just booked an Ibis, but not that one.
How big is the Stadium?
Hope I get tickets! 😫
Just over ~20k. It should be a sell out but I'd expect members to be fine to get tickets.

Not sure if it's still there but I've had a couple of feeds at a Ribs N Rumps across the road from the train station and that is pretty decent.

Oh and there's a Macca's. Fill yer boots.
Yeah, been to the Ribs and Rumps and the "Brewery" (not sure if it's still called that) there, and I've seen a few other places open up over the last few years. They're all fine from what I can tell, but will absolutely be busy.

dlanod travel agency services, any crafty beer destinations that could be woven into the trip between the airport and the stadium?

There are heaps on the way.

One Drop Brewery in Botany, not far from the airport.

Otherwise Marrickville has plenty of options. Nothing much around Olympic Park though.

I love Marrickville. Was hoping for something further out west.
Ah, my specialty topic!

Depends on your transport - as Clugga mentions, there's One Drop at Botany, and there's Slow Lane around the corner and Beer Fontaine just down the road. All are fantastic options and easily chainable into a mini-crawl, but you'd be looking at an Uber there from the airport and then another to get to a train station to get out to the stadium.

Marrickville and the Inner West is awesome, there's always something new. St Peters through to Marrickville train stations gives you a good dozen or more options - but again, not really on the way.

There's not much on the western line. There's Paddy's near Flemington Station (average, and generally slips well under the radar), Public House Petersham/Small Batch and Oxford Tavern at Petersham (the only stop I bother with), and Akasha at Five Dock (great IPAs, not near a train station). Out at Parramatta you get Riverside but then you've not only overshot, you're also in for quite a walk because the light rail isn't running yet.

The best blend of convenience and decent beer would be either Surry Hills (Royal Albert/Keg and Brew/Dove and Olive/Sydney Brewery) next to Central or duck out to Newtown (Union Hotel, Mountain Goat, Young Henry's, Hopsters, Buddy's Bar, and more). There's also Noble Hops and BrewDog near Redfern.

Gonna be a big weekend.
Will be getting up very early Saturday morning to drive down, early dinner, then game time Go Lions 🦁, then bed, then up early to drive home.
Will be stuffed on Monday, atleast will be sharing the driving.🚗

The trick, to me, is to book everything in advance and make the trips cancellable.

Grand Final flights/accommodation in October.

For the earlier finals, jump on Twitter, follow guys in the know like Tom Morris (NOT Jon Ralph 😂🤦) who get word of when the finals are before they're officially announced.

Then book everything in one go. All cancellable. This year it was Sydney for week 2, Melbourne AND Adelaide (have already cancelled these) for week 3. If your Elimination Final is on Saturday it's reasonable to assume your Semi and Prelim will also be on Saturday. Last year was a mess because there were 3 finals at the MCG in week 1 which caused all sorts of scheduling stuff ups.

Then when you don't need the flights, you cancel them and you only pay the cancel fee, which is usually about $20-$30 per flight. Accommodation you can often cancel with no fee at all.

You need a couple of things for this. Discipline's the main one... I put away a bit of coin into a separate account each week over the course of the 10-11 months to make sure that come mid-August I have enough to fund potentially 3 away finals (remembering I've already booked the Grand Final).

You also need to have attention to detail, to make sure you are booking the right flights on the right dates. Easy to get them mixed up when you try to do it all at once!

And a dash of open-mindedness can be useful. I'm generally happy to fly from/to the Gold Coast instead of Brisbane airport if it's means the flights are like half the price, which they often are. Also, I couldn't work out for the life of me why flights home from Melbourne on the Sunday after the prelim were so much more $$$ than for, say, the Sunday before. Then I realised, ah, Victorian school holidays start that weekend. So that day I'm flying home via Sydney. It's stupid that it's cheaper, but that's how it was.

I know all this organising and logistics etc ain't for everyone, but the alternative is you get stung paying through the nose for flights less than a week in advance, as you saw when you went to book. I've been there... The 2022 finals put quite a hole in my wallet! So this is my remedy 🙂

Something I may look at in future is using a multi or two with the betting agencies to hedge my costs somewhat. For example, when we were 2nd on the ladder after the Saints game, it might have been worth putting a bet on GWS/Collingwood/Essendon to beat us. Think of it like insurance: if we win, that's money lost of course, but also we aren't travelling. If we lose, you win the bet, and those winnings can pay for your travel. Anyway I didn't do that this year, but something I might look at in the future if the opportunity arises.
We did all the pre booking stuff before the Prelim last year for the Grand Final and kept our fingers crossed, never even dawned on us to do it for an away Semi Final. Don't mind a road trip to Sydney though, not that far, good time to bond and for some banter with my daughter, son and daughter in law.

Maybe we should be booking our Prelim v the Cats now.:think:

Ah, my specialty topic!

Depends on your transport - as Clugga mentions, there's One Drop at Botany, and there's Slow Lane around the corner and Beer Fontaine just down the road. All are fantastic options and easily chainable into a mini-crawl, but you'd be looking at an Uber there from the airport and then another to get to a train station to get out to the stadium.

Marrickville and the Inner West is awesome, there's always something new. St Peters through to Marrickville train stations gives you a good dozen or more options - but again, not really on the way.

There's not much on the western line. There's Paddy's near Flemington Station (average, and generally slips well under the radar), Public House Petersham/Small Batch and Oxford Tavern at Petersham (the only stop I bother with), and Akasha at Five Dock (great IPAs, not near a train station). Out at Parramatta you get Riverside but then you've not only overshot, you're also in for quite a walk because the light rail isn't running yet.

The best blend of convenience and decent beer would be either Surry Hills (Royal Albert/Keg and Brew/Dove and Olive/Sydney Brewery) next to Central or duck out to Newtown (Union Hotel, Mountain Goat, Young Henry's, Hopsters, Buddy's Bar, and more). There's also Noble Hops and BrewDog near Redfern.
This is wonderful, many thanks. I see a lot of average beer on this trip! Maybe the club would consider putting on bus to facilitate a pre game brewery club.

This is wonderful, many thanks. I see a lot of average beer on this trip! Maybe the club would consider putting on bus to facilitate a pre game brewery club.
What time are you getting in? Early dinner and drinks in Surry Hills and then leave the city at 6pm would get you to the game (after a couple of short walks and a 45 minute train ride) with plenty of time to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back