Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Open training today MCG 3.45pm

I’m heading in with 3KZ is Football Jnr to welcome the team to their home away from home. Should be fun 🦁 🤩

The narrative of C.Scott being this great tactical mastermind is a load of hyperbole. Let’s look at their run finals run in all seriousness for the last 10yrs or so. For a number of years they went out straight sets with a bloody good team as well. They’ve made a load of preliminary finals and have lost. What, he moves Blicavs (the ultimate Swiss knife player) into a different position and the media fawn all over him. They’ve trade and draft extremely well and is it he the coach who sprinkles his magical fairy dust and boom, great tactical coach. Give me a break. Go Lions!

It’s interesting, if you look at the season as a whole, Geelong have been extremely inconsistent. Some fantastic wins mixed with some absolute head scratchers. All the talking heads wax on about how good they are in finals but as mentioned above, they’ve been inconsistent there too. They haven’t played a tough opponent since St Kilda over a month ago where they lost. Brisbane has played tough games left, right and centre.

So the two questions to me are really Geelong withstand sustained heat and can Brisbane get themselves up for one more full game after using plenty of petrol in last week’s comeback.

This result to me entirely comes down to us and whether we can bring the pressure again, Geelong has not shown an ability to handle pressure consistently this year but then, we have.

The narrative of C.Scott being this great tactical mastermind is a load of hyperbole. Let’s look at their run finals run in all seriousness for the last 10yrs or so. For a number of years they went out straight sets with a bloody good team as well. They’ve made a load of preliminary finals and have lost. What, he moves Blicavs (the ultimate Swiss knife player) into a different position and the media fawn all over him. They’ve trade and draft extremely well and is it he the coach who sprinkles his magical fairy dust and boom, great tactical coach. Give me a break. Go Lions!

Got a lot to do with his media profile, IMO. In the inner circle with the Melbourne media.

We're you not advocating narrowing the goals at practice? That's basically what the hard ones are. It's just kicking straight
See, logically and rationally I agree with you. If you can kick the hard ones it stands to reason you can also kick the easy ones. But I don't think the human brain works that way. If it did, we probably would be nailing all the easy ones. You actually have to practice exactly as you play.

Narrowing the gap between the goal posts is partly about getting feedback on technique. If you are squeezing a shot from 25 out directly in front just inside the left goal post, that is not a good kick and should not be viewed as such. That's the footy equivalent of the inside edge down to fine leg for 4. Yes you get runs for it but it's not a good shot.

It's also about trying to create extra pressure at training which would normally not be present, in an attempt to replicate match day conditions, by making easy kicks seem more difficult. It would also make it less boring for the players, making it more likely for them to actually practice these shots at training.

Either way though they have been to a lot of Prelims and not gone all the way.
Was Chris Scott out coached in those games?
They’ve made finals, what is it 10 of the last 12 years? For 1 flag. Credit to them of always being up there for that long, but is that a coaching achievement, or recruiting? Most likely a bit of both.

Funny that we’ve now made the finals now 6 years straight, and we’re under pressure, whereas there’s a totally different narrative around Geelong. Could easily see their record as underachieving over that time.

However, how we adapt coming out of this period will be the real test. Looking ok with the two Ashcrofts and some young guns coming through recently.

See, logically and rationally I agree with you. If you can kick the hard ones it stands to reason you can also kick the easy ones. But I don't think the human brain works that way. If it did, we probably would be nailing all the easy ones. You actually have to practice exactly as you play.

Narrowing the gap between the goal posts is partly about getting feedback on technique. If you are squeezing a shot from 25 out directly in front just inside the left goal post, that is not a good kick and should not be viewed as such. That's the footy equivalent of the inside edge down to fine leg for 4. Yes you get runs for it but it's not a good shot.

It's also about trying to create extra pressure at training which would normally not be present, in an attempt to replicate match day conditions, by making easy kicks seem more difficult. It would also make it less boring for the players, making it more likely for them to actually practice these shots at training.

Gee you like to overthink things

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gee you like to overthink things
Well it's fair to say that what we currently do with regards to goal kicking practice is ineffective at best. And so far your contribution to the discussion has been to pot people providing solutions, stick your head under the doona and say "everything's fine".

Stock Market Fml GIF by SuperRareBears

Not everything is going to work, but it's fair to say neither are the current methods. Change is needed. What that looks like is in the eye of the beholder. Feel free to offer constructive comment.

Either way though they have been to a lot of Prelims and not gone all the way.
Was Chris Scott out coached in those games?
Yeah, Geelong in Prelims coached by Chris Scott have either been white hot or really flat. Unfortunately in our 2020 & 2022 Prelims we've ran into the white hot version of the Cats. Our luck with them surely has to be different the 3rd time. But obviously we need to do our part and bring the intensity and focus to win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Unofficial Preview Changes v Geelong (Preliminary Final)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back