Changes v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

NLM is the PERFECT sub can pretty much cover anyone the coaching panel have done a really good job with that decision

NLM is the PERFECT sub can pretty much cover anyone the coaching panel have done a really good job with that decision

He seems like a good fit but you can't have him playing less than a quarter of game time each week.
Sadly, I don't really want to drop anyone from last week to sub. Everyone did their bit last week and on top of that I think Davey should come in to add to the pressure in the forward line.

He seems like a good fit but you can't have him playing less than a quarter of game time each week.
Sadly, I don't really want to drop anyone from last week to sub. Everyone did their bit last week and on top of that I think Davey should come in to add to the pressure in the forward line.

yes the dilemma we have with the sub :( i have said this before but i dnt rate howlett so Howlett for Davey :thumbsu:

Find it rather amusing the poster in this thread who claims Davey is our "best forward" has not stuck his neck out to support his selection. Simply wants to fly under the radar and avoid confrotation with those who think he shouldn't be selected.

:rolleyes:

I think Davey is too important for tackling in our front half to not play. He also breaks away from congestion which will probably create 2 or 3 goals for Essendon each week.

I can't think of who to drop. There is nothing wrong with that. I would put him in the team ahead of all small forwards though. I love the way Howlett goes about it but maybe we could drop him. Move Winderlich to the middle and get Monfries to play the high forward doubles as a defensive forward or extra player around the middle.

I'm not sure if we need a defensive forward this week. Malcheski broke his fake knee and Kenelly is out. Last week Shaw played as a pure lockdown on Alwyn's brother.

I think it would be good if Winderlich gets some time in the middle. He might be our best option to go with Judd when we play Carlton.

Find it rather amusing the poster in this thread who claims Davey is our "best forward" has not stuck his neck out to support his selection. Simply wants to fly under the radar and avoid confrotation with those who think he shouldn't be selected.

:rolleyes:
Really going down that route?

I think Winderlich will eventually make way, but cannot argue with his performance. Very hard to make a change to a side which was very good.

And it's not like I said I'd take a shit out a window then ran away, like someone we could mention...

Bringing Froggy in will add to the forward pressure but there was also plenty of that shown on the weekend. I think the coaching staff have been able to life the whole side to another gear over the preseason and really add a lot of depth to the team. who ever misses out will be extremely hard done by.

On another note players like gumby, pears, slattery all still need to get into this side. Going to be a good year.

Jetta has been showing that sort of pressure for years. It's everything else that he has improved on.

It's like people saying that Dempsey is playing incredibly different all of a sudden. It's not true, it's just that that stuff they are doing looks better when the team is set up to better take advantage of it.

Jetta has been showing that sort of pressure for years. It's everything else that he has improved on.

It's like people saying that Dempsey is playing incredibly different all of a sudden. It's not true, it's just that that stuff they are doing looks better when the team is set up to better take advantage of it.
You're right that Leroy's not doing anything new, he's just doing it for longer, with more intent. Sticking the tackles a lot more and playing with more intensity. Has had, at times, a lot of dropped tackles & drifted in & out of games (which he was working through when he had those runs of games last year).

Dempsey's much tighter on his man. Had body contact, 2nd & 3rd efforts way up. Definitely stuff he wouldn't have done last year. So disagree there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dempsey's much tighter on his man. Had body contact, 2nd & 3rd efforts way up. Definitely stuff he wouldn't have done last year. So disagree there.

Agree to disagree for now. I think he's playing pretty similar, just we're not getting caught out with easy turnovers through the middle, and the defense is covering for each other better, so he looks tighter.

Still plays looser than Hooker and Myers, but I expect that is intentional, as he has the pace and ball handling skill to play that intercepting rebounding role best.

See I don't think he was playing as a designated loose man. He definitely still has some licence to run off. But at times he was lining up in the square on guys like Cooney and other times at half-back on Murphy.

The best example I can give - at one point he got it on half-back, kicked to wing = turnover off the contest, he followed it hard back inside the Dogs 50, and got it again, and was part of getting it up to defensive side of the wing then out for a throw-in. Last year I'm not sure he would've pushed that hard.

Boy am I glad they flogged shit out of him. Fitness, for him, was a bad mental habit as much as anything. You can IMHO pretty clearly see the effect that had in how hard he was able to make position.

I keep hearing how great Reimers was for Bendigo on the weekend - maybe he could be used as a SUB & NLM gets a full game?
ie - out - Howlett, Lonergan (cant think of anyone else who we could drop)
in - Reimers, Davey

I just think Reimers & Davey collectively offer a bit more than Howlett & Lonergan.
We might see players rotated a bit more this year also with this SUB rule...

I keep hearing how great Reimers was for Bendigo on the weekend - maybe he could be used as a SUB & NLM gets a full game?
ie - out - Howlett, Lonergan (cant think of anyone else who we could drop)
in - Reimers, Davey

I just think Reimers & Davey collectively offer a bit more than Howlett & Lonergan.
We might see players rotated a bit more this year also with this SUB rule...
Why?
2 inside for 2 outside players.

IMHO, balance was just about right. Sydney are as strong on-ball as anyone.

If Howlett's injured: NLM into the 21, someone else (Reimers would seem the most versatile of those left) as sub.
If not, no change.

I think HFF mentioned that Remiers played a very inside role in the reserves over the weekend and impressed.

I would like to see him do that a couple more times before earning a recall to the senior side.

If howlett doesnt play, I reckon Prismall will come in. Lovett-Murray is perfect as a sub, he can be sub for a couple of weeks, but it will be important to rotate subs around

Just on Dempsey, Hird himself said that they had a few words after the NAB Cup Grand Final, and that in comparison, his round 1 performance was pleasing.

I'd say that's a good indicator that it's not just a matter of the team making him look better.

I thought that was just about the Hair? :D

Agree so much with this statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back