Preview Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Van Berlo said the focus at training this week would be on skills and connection ahead of the ball.

“To put it bluntly, we’ve got to keep training it, it’s pretty identifiable what is breaking down for us at the moment,”

Edit haven’t watched the video yet
Which is true, whether they are able to adapt and actually fix the problem is another story. I'm seeing very few signs that they are.

Van Berlo asked if Laird and Crouch too similar, said that they're happy with the supply from the mids and it's about maximizing the efficiency 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Also asked about our vanilla midfield, "I'd say to date the midfields been more than competitive in and around the footy, we've clearance wise been holding our own, yes we can get better certainly in and around the footy with some of our metres gained from stoppage etc but the guys have been playing the roles that we need and at different stages something on the weekend for example Izaak's come up around the ball, we've played Josh higher than normal which gives us a bit of a different look through the midfield, Luke Nankervis comes in and plays a winger role and often wingers can be in and around the stoppage and contest a lot, so that mix is going to evolve over time but at the moment thats the mix we're opting for and we believe we are generating enough supply out of that but we'll continue to review it."

Nothing to see here ladies and gents, supply is amazing, just needs some tinkering. You hear that? They let Nankervis watch stoppages from the wing, pretty much a full time mid!
Whaaaaaat! .gif

We're not going to try and win this game, it's all about limiting the loss.
I don't think Adam Simpson even goes in with that attitude to games, all clubs are trying to win each and every game this early in a season. Once finals are mathematically out of the picture? Well, things can change then, but we aren't there yet.

Van Berlo asked if Laird and Crouch too similar, said that they're happy with the supply from the mids and it's about maximizing the efficiency 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Also asked about our vanilla midfield, "I'd say to date the midfields been more than competitive in and around the footy, we've clearance wise been holding our own, yes we can get better certainly in and around the footy with some of our metres gained from stoppage etc but the guys have been playing the roles that we need and at different stages something on the weekend for example Izaak's come up around the ball, we've played Josh higher than normal which gives us a bit of a different look through the midfield, Luke Nankervis comes in and plays a winger role and often wingers can be in and around the stoppage and contest a lot, so that mix is going to evolve over time but at the moment thats the mix we're opting for and we believe we are generating enough supply out of that but we'll continue to review it."

Nothing to see here ladies and gents, supply is amazing, just needs some tinkering. You hear that? They let Nankervis watch stoppages from the wing, pretty much a full time mid!
Stop sending extra players into the contest you idiot.
If you don’t trust the mids to get it done, stop picking them every week!

Sack everyone

I know we baby the players quite a bit, but jesus, VB's Dowling comments....

'Whether that's this week, 3-4 weeks time or the back end of the year, the opportunity will come'

Deflating.
That is the Neil Craig mantra.

Earn your spot, experience over form/talent

Stop sending extra players into the contest you idiot.
If you don’t trust the mids to get it done, stop picking them every week!

I didnt watch the game - but are they touting Scott as a great gameday coach sending Miers as the half forward up as an extra mid? Playing the Murphy role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Even last year, our highest scoring came from turnover, not clearances.

It does for every club I'm pretty sure

I'm more specifically referring to a regression in any sort of attack from clearance. This guy on Twitter has some great data on this

Here's the change in rankings

Stoppage win - 14th (2021) to 11th (2022) to 9th (2023) to 4th (2024)
Attack from stoppage - 13th to 15th to 6th to 16th
Opposition attack from stoppage - 14th to 16th to 8th to 14th
Intercept generation - 11th to 14th to 7th to 10th
Attack from intercept - 17th to 14th to 9th to 17th
Opposition attack from intercept - 11th to 12th to 6th to 5th

So what Nicks has managed to do is clearly what he's set out to do - increase our stoppage wins. Van Berlo refers to this.

But what Nicks has done in the process is briefly make our offense good, only to immediately revert it to shit. Our stoppage rankings were mid-table last year, now they are back to trash level (2021-2022 stuff). Not only that, we've also reverted to being trash at preventing opponents from attacking from stoppage. In three of the last four years we have been bottom 6 for both stoppage offense and preventing opposition stoppage offense. That's very very poor.

We are also bad at attacking from intercept and generating intercepts. We have, however, improved at preventing the opposition from attacking from our turnovers.

It's a massive regression in all areas except what Nicks seems to focus on which is, as I said, basic bitch stats like "win clearance"

Last edited:
That is the Neil Craig mantra.

Earn your spot, experience over form/talent

Yup, VB is basically a Neil Craig acolyte.

This quote made me cringe: "To put it bluntly, we’ve got to keep training it, it’s pretty identifiable what is breaking down for us at the moment,”

As per my signature 'No need to change things up, just keep doing the same things but better'

Its been the AFC way for decades.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didnt watch the game - but are they touting Scott as a great gameday coach sending Miers as the half forward up as an extra mid? Playing the Murphy role

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Well executing coaching strategy is as much about the strategy as it is the player you choose to execute it.

Using Murphy in this role is idiotic considering he doesn't kick goals, a dumb player and can't hit a pass. He is pretty left to run free by the opposition which is what creates the spare in the back for them most of the time.

Using someone like Miers in that role means that he has to be respected by the opposition and drags the opposition defence out of shape.

Its all part of coaching and player selection is where we fall over.

Another example is the midfiled.

Do we want to win the clearances, yes. But do we want Crouch and Laird playing the majority in the midfield so that they can win the clearances? No.

We fail to select the best players to execute our strategy then blame the player for not executing.

This club is disgusting. I hope they get flogged yet again. Flogged, cmon baggers.
This is the stage we are at as supporters, every loss brings us closer to prized draft picks and the potential sacking of Nicks. :rainbow:

Having this Neil Craig clone in the coaches box isn't helping.
Imo, Craig actually developed a game plan that worked for a while... til found out.

Not sure Nicks knows what a good game plan looks like.

We literally have the dumbest individuals in charge of the footy club.
Are you talking Board, CEO &/or coaching group?

I certainly don't have confidence that we have a cluey coaching group.

The fact our Board jumped the gun with the contract extension demonstrates clearly they are collectively poor decision makers... even if Nicks were to turn things around as was unnecessary to things became clearer.

We are going nowhere when the coaching group are in complete denial.

Nearly everyone watching the game can see the problem but they refuse to accept it... so we are ****ed!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Changes vs Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back