Channel Nine Vs. Foxtel commentary teams

What would you prefer?

• The current channel nine team (Ritchie, Bill, Tony and Ian)

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • The commentators who did the India series (Dean Jones, Michael Slater, Michael Atherton)

Votes: 8 44.4%
  • A combination of both (Commentators from countries represented)

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Undecided or couldn’t give a stuff

Votes: 2 11.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
After watching the test series vs. New Zealand and the Pakistanis I have came to the conclusion that the channel Nine commentary team sucks. I didn’t think they were as bad as they are but being able to compare them against the commentators via the Australian vs. India test and one day games, they are truly out of date and all bar 2 or 3 need to go and make way for a new breed of commentators. The only ones l would keep would be Simon O’Donnell, Mark Taylor and the new one from England Mark Nicolas and possibility Ian Healy would stay as well and replace them with Dean Jones, Michael Slater and possibility Mark Waugh.

The commentary on the India series was informative and innovative along with entertaining unlike the old timers in the channel nine box. Time for a changing of the guard me thinks.

I agree the Channel 9 com box is getting really stale and boring. However, I laughed when I heard you say "keep O'Donnell", then I really laughed when I heard you say "keep Healy". Just because these commentators are younger, doesn't mean they're better. Those two are the worst commentators going around.

Now that said, the Channel 9 old timers that need to go are Richie and Ian. Tony is on the brink, and he'd be struggling to keep his spot if I was a selector. Bill Lawry should be kept though, the man is a legend and is the only commentator at Channel 9 who adds excitement. Mark Nicholas would be perfect for the anchor role and doing the coin toss/pitch report, so keep him as well. I don't have Foxtel, but heard bits and pieces from Slats and Deano at my mate's place. They ain't bad either, add a bit of the old larrikinism to the call.

The mob covering the England Vs Saffer series is pretty handy.

Bit bias but I imagine the channel mob team will also sound like that.

I am convinced Nasser is psychologically damaged from the Ashes beatings he copped though. Some of the stuff that comes out of his mouth is great, but some of the other negative tripe serves to illustrate why they never threatened the Aussies in his time.

I'd rather listen to a bunch of cows mooing then the channel 9 commentary team.

i chose foxtel. and the fact that that included Dean Jones shows how poor the ch 9 team is.

for matches in oz, i turn down the sound and listen to the radio
kerry's a legend!

i think ch 9 chooses way too many past captains as commentators, though guys like healy and o'donnell arent setting the world on fire either...they should get more guys who are great commentators, not necessarily great players (nicholas is a step in the right direction). they should have commentating at single time one who is a great commentator, and one who was a good past test player

been impressed by nasser's commentary...liked his spin on the infamous match that hansie and him arranged a double declaration

(Log in to remove this ad.)

johnnyhoward said:
I agree the Channel 9 com box is getting really stale and boring. However, I laughed when I heard you say "keep O'Donnell", then I really laughed when I heard you say "keep Healy". Just because these commentators are younger, doesn't mean they're better. Those two are the worst commentators going around.

Agree 100%.

Remove this Banner Ad

Channel Nine Vs. Foxtel commentary teams

Back