Universal Love Charlie ‘Chook’ Constable

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
But this is simply not true.
Fogarty got 4 clearances against North Melbourne.
The most Constable has managed was 5 against Melbourne last year.

I do agree with you that he lacks attributes to his game but given both players are the same age, more exposure for Fogarty (21 games), perhaps we see a better player after 20+ in Constable's case?
As for Steven, he's been very underwhelming to say the least. Averaging the same number of clearances as Constable and fewer disposals.

There's every chance we do see an improved player in another 20 matches. Nobody's suggesting he's never going to improve. But he's well outside the best 22 right now, his lack of versatility means he could only displace a far better midfielders and the lead up to a finals series isn't the best time to gift players games for experience sake.

I hope he comes back after another preseason and dominates but I'd be disappointed to see him back in the side this year because it'll mean guys like Selwood, Guthrie or Parfitt will be shifted out of the centre square where we look a much better side (especially defensively) with them in there.

Quick question, does a centre clearance just count the person who got it out of square, or also the person who handballs it to the person who got it out.
If it doesn't, 90% of the time that is just a meaningless stat.

CLEARANCECredited to the player who has the first effective disposal in a chain that clears the stoppage area, or an ineffective kick or clanger kick that clears the stoppage area.

This can be a useful - it's the champion data stats glossary

I'm thinking that the MC, rather than wholesale new ins, are going to be thinking more about overall cohesion. Why bring in some guys, while in a normal season might be included, that haven't played any real games this year and haven't played with the first team? A small tweak in forward line to see if they can work together, maybe; managed/rested, ok. But don't bring in someone on pure spec. Go in with strong team, demolish early, solidify for homestretch.

I'm thinking that the MC, rather than wholesale new ins, are going to be thinking more about overall cohesion. Why bring in some guys, while in a normal season might be included, that haven't played any real games this year and haven't played with the first team? A small tweak in forward line to see if they can work together, maybe; managed/rested, ok. But don't bring in someone on pure spec. Go in with strong team, demolish early, solidify for homestretch.
Cos it might make the team better. Thsts why. There are a few players in the first clearly being carried as well. Kolo, atkins and fog being the obvious ones.

Cos it might make the team better. Thsts why. There are a few players in the first clearly being carried as well. Kolo, atkins and fog being the obvious ones.

I'm a fan so seriously should pack his bags and go somewhere where he's valued.

With Selwood going out and Charlie still not able to get a gig, I reckon he’s done with the cats. To be fair he’s never given a real chance to prosper at geelong. We will never get to know he’s another Joel Corey or Horlin-Smith

LOL. Fogarty is a young gun. He ranks elite for tackles and applies alot of pressure, something constable cant and never will do given his athletic traits. His game a few weeks ago was close to BOG where he got 26 touches in the middle and looked very at home in congestion working the ball out.

Something i really love about fogarty is he loves it dirty and in close contests. He has some class and mongrel about him. Something alot of our other players lack.

If he was an old fashioned foot soldier he is someone you would want to be in the trenches with.

He reminds me a bit of a paul chapman style player but a midfield version instead.

Is a better well rounded product than constable.

If constable is to make it he will have to become an A+ level extractor similar to jobe watson and josh kennedy. He wont make it being B+ at that as he lacks too much elsewhere

LOL. Fogarty is a young gun. He ranks elite for tackles and applies alot of pressure, something constable cant and never will do given his athletic traits. His game a few weeks ago was close to BOG where he got 26 touches in the middle and looked very at home in congestion working the ball out.

Something i really love about fogarty is he loves it dirty and in close contests. He has some class and mongrel about him. Something alot of our other players lack.

If he was an old fashioned foot soldier he is someone you would want to be in the trenches with.

He reminds me a bit of a paul chapman style player but a midfield version instead.

If constable is to make it he will have to become an A+ level extractor similar to jobe watson and josh kennedy. He wont make it being B+ at that as he lacks too much elsewhere
I think his papers have been stamped, bye

I don’t see a way this bloke is on our list next year. I know he’s under contract, but he’ll get offers elsewhere from a team looking for an inside mid and we won’t stand in his way. He’s an absolute ball magnet, but from what I’ve seen, I’m far from convinced he will make the grade at AFL level. I guess we will find out in the next couple of years

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are 100% on the same train of thought with Fogarty. Hopefully we are proven correct.

Why was he dumped then despite simpson and selwood, i.e. similar players, being injured? I have not seen a midfielder who is a worse disposer of the pill. He is also slow And unlike constable struggles to find the pill. He was missing to 3q time last week. And it wasnt 26 touches.

Why was he dumped then despite simpson and selwood, i.e. similar players, being injured? I have not seen a midfielder who is a worse disposer of the pill. He is also slow And unlike constable struggles to find the pill. He was missing to 3q time last week. And it wasnt 26 touches.

If they want to fluff up this Fog's stats obviously they can't be objectively honest.

He had 6 to 3/4 time last week and looked tentative until he got out wide and was fed a few in the last quarter when it was all our way.
Carn't run, carn't kick, lacks hardness, how can he be compared to Constable a big tough kid who puts head over the pill.
Fairdinkum it's a laugh.

Last edited:
Would people prefer Cockatoo or Constable on the list? Neither play much (Different reasons) so we can’t keep carrying too many like that. FWIW I’d prefer Cocky.
Definitely Cocky, I agree. If we can somehow get his body right, he has all the tools and a massive ceiling. He could be anything. Constable is a real goer, hard as nails, but I’ve got the feeling he’s too much of a one trick pony with little upside and room for improvement. I think Constable would of been a good AFL player 15-20 years ago, but IMO, his weaknesses and limitations are too much for the modern game IMO..

Bit hard to know whether he'll be an A+ level extractor when he isn't given a run of games to determine it. Anyhoo, don't think that's the main reason for his lack of opportunity.

Quick question, does a centre clearance just count the person who got it out of square, or also the person who handballs it to the person who got it out.
If it doesn't, 90% of the time that is just a meaningless stat.
First possession in a chain.

So, in your example, if Fogarty gets the loose ball and handballs it to Selwood, who handballs to Duncan, who kicks it, then it's Fogarty's clearance.

That makes sense, because there's no absolutely clear line which delineates "inside" from "outside". Who knows how much pressure Selwood is under in this example?

Apologies it was 23. How far off i was off top of my head. His not slow, constable is slow. His ok speed fogarty. Nothing flash nothing slow either.

He will be part of the rotations, omitted rested whatever label they will bring him back in.

Once he gets a full pre season he will be a gun midfielder.

Paul chapman version of a midfielder

Bit hard to know whether he'll be an A+ level extractor when he isn't given a run of games to determine it. Anyhoo, don't think that's the main reason for his lack of opportunity.

Its not something he is going to develop with senior games its a craft he needs to develop through training and working hard with the coaching team. Its a learnt skill not an exposure to the level ordeal.

Jobe watson took four season from memory to become a regular and josh kennedy took years as well who plays the same role.

The issue is they only have one assett to give to the team and if they arent elite at it there isnt really a spot for them doing anything else. He is poor defensively he is slow and doesnt offer in terms of spread or a forward threat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back