Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

61 forward entries, got out marked 3 or 4 times but still had a much improved game. Offensive ability good!
Similar story to our early losses with our loss in the midfield battle. I think he'll be fine long term, but is a candidate to miss this week against Melbourne's tiny team

Still not showing much but we don't have anyone else with height to try down back. Probably keeps his spot until Eyre is ready to try.

Totally disagree

Showing some excellent signs. Some Murphy like contest wins against dogs
Dean is nothing like Murphy. He appears to be trying to emulate Howe and Moore, looking to intercept and run off.

Murphy's first action was to lock down on a direct opponent (and often Howe's or Moore's opponent), then kill a contest, then do the run off thing. We don't really have anyone else who plays a lock-down role - Frampton and Maynard are the closest, but different to Murphy.

I want another defender who will defend first. Take a KPP out of the contest. They also have to cover for Moore and Howe who insist on hunting the ball and playing nowhere near their direct opponent. That's why Murphy was so important. I don't expect Dean to do this - doesn't seem to be that type of player who will sacrifice his own game for the team.

I guess it's all part of Fly's plan, and I'm ok to see it play out (until we lose to Carlscum) and then I'll be looking for a Plan B.

Nathan Murphy didn’t just magically become Nathan Murphy. He took a long time to get there and might have been close to delisting before he turned the corner. He played 2 games in his first three years.

Similar story to our early losses with our loss in the midfield battle. I think he'll be fine long term, but is a candidate to miss this week against Melbourne's tiny team
I think he's a good prospect, but he's not ready and needs to get stronger and more aggressive in contests.

I think he's a good prospect, but he's not ready and needs to get stronger and more aggressive in contests.
Agree. At the moment we have better Charlie Deans than Charlie Dean himself (Moore, Howe). He doesn't seem to be versatile enough to play a different role, but time will tell.

BTW I think any comparison with Murphy is unfair - different players / roles.

Wouldn’t mind him being tried forward over Frampton. Frampton has become an important cog in the backline.

Mihocek started his career as a backman and became a solid forward, see if Dean can do something similar

Yeah - the Sydney game was about our turnovers and getting out-pressured and not being able to apply enough pressure on their mids. Plugger and Scarlett weren't going to get us across the line in that game. Particularly as Plugger is ****ing old for a footballer.

I wouldn't look to much into rounds 1 to 3 we were playing a soft millionaire style game. Not doing the small hard things across the board.

Wasn't till the losses wracked up that there was a clear attitude change across the group.

61 forward entries, got out marked 3 or 4 times but still had a much improved game. Offensive ability good!

It was just a massive size mis match, 208cm vs 195cm plus massive reach difference. To keep him to 3 goals was a good result.

Imo we selected wrong and lined up wrong for that game. Frammers should of stayed in def on Darcy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It was just a massive size mis match, 208cm vs 195cm plus massive reach difference. To keep him to 3 goals was a good result.

Imo we selected wrong and lined up wrong for that game. Frammers should of stayed in def on Darcy.
Agreed. Billy is a big strong unit too, which might have prevented Darcy from taking some of those marks.

Agree when needed.
He was originally a forward after all.
I think he'd be interesting to trial up there. Even if over the preseason - think it's good practice for our less crucial talls to have versatility (Dean, Kreuger, Johnson, etc.)

If he's a good intercept mark, he must read the ball in flight well, so definitely worth trying forward.

I think some have been a bit hard on him, considering he missed two years of footy.
He needs a block of games to get some continuity.

Wouldn’t mind him being tried forward over Frampton. Frampton has become an important cog in the backline.

Mihocek started his career as a backman and became a solid forward, see if Dean can do something similar
Frampton was only chosen to play forward because he can ruck.

Frampton was preferred because of the ruck element of the role he was playing. Dean can’t offer that.

If he's a good intercept mark, he must read the ball in flight well, so definitely worth trying forward.

I think some have been a bit hard on him, considering he missed two years of footy.
He needs a block of games to get some continuity.

Yep, Friday night was his 4th senior game. Think he’s shown quite a bit at senior level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Charlie Dean

Remove this Banner Ad

Back