Asia China's growing influence

Remove this Banner Ad

So it's ok for you to take the blood money but irresponsible for anyone else to? not exactly a consistent philosophy

Throw it on the contradictions of capitalism pile I guess
The journalist went there for the money the same as me.
The AFL went there for the money the same as me.

The journalist went there for the money the same as me.
The AFL went there for the money the same as me.
So was you happy for the AFL to take the Chinese blood money?
I don't engage in business or personal dealings with people I deem completely untrustworthy or immoral.

I also wouldn't write off a billion people because of a bad experience, I think it's better our country engages in mutually beneficial deals and doesn't share your reactionary veiws

I don't engage in business or personal dealings with people I deem completely untrustworthy or immoral.

I also wouldn't write off a billion people because of a bad experience, I think it's better our country engages in mutually beneficial deals and doesn't share your reactionary veiws
Tell us about your experiencs living and working there.

Article that suggests a showdown at second Thomas shoal is on the cards.

Added - CNN has an article with some video of the confrontation at the Thomas shoal earlier in the week.

Last edited:
US counter-invasion strategies shaping up....

US plans 'hellscape' of drones if China invades Taiwan

Rogin cited Admiral Samuel Paparo, commander of the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command, who told him after attending the Shangri-La Dialogue security conference in Singapore that China would prefer a swift and intense war to seize Taiwan before the world could react. Rogin said China aims to avoid the protracted conflict that Russia faced in its invasion of Ukraine.

Paparo indicated that the U.S.'s "hellscape" strategy is crucial to foiling China's invasion plans. This involves deploying thousands of unmanned submarines, surface vessels, and aerial drones in the Taiwan Strait as soon as China's invasion fleet begins to cross, thereby buying time for a full-scale counterattack by Taiwanese, American, and partner forces.
there is a link to an op-ed by Rogin in the article and it is what the article is based on. Very interesting.

US counter-invasion strategies shaping up....

US plans 'hellscape' of drones if China invades Taiwan

there is a link to an op-ed by Rogin in the article and it is what the article is based on. Very interesting.
There was an interesting link below that article, with Xi saying the US is trying to “trick China” into invading Taiwan, but he would “not take the bait.”. I really don't know what to make of that, the article has a few interpretations none of which I find strongly convincing.

WRT to drones. The US has just sold another 1000 drones, Altair 600 and smaller Switchblade 300, which are loitering munitions. This is a drop in the bucket of what they need, think of Ukraine with it's aim to field a million drones. Apparently Taiwan is setting up manufacturing with US drone manufacturer Aevex

There was an interesting link below that article, with Xi saying the US is trying to “trick China” into invading Taiwan, but he would “not take the bait.”. I really don't know what to make of that, the article has a few interpretations none of which I find strongly convincing.

WRT to drones. The US has just sold another 1000 drones, Altair 600 and smaller Switchblade 300, which are loitering munitions. This is a drop in the bucket of what they need, think of Ukraine with it's aim to field a million drones. Apparently Taiwan is setting up manufacturing with US drone manufacturer Aevex

The article is just CCP continuing the whole it won't be our fault if we have to attack our much smaller neighbour and kill millions. Someone made us build all those missiles and ships and use them. When Xi attacks, they will probably say some Taiwanese troop.fired a shot at one of their much larger ships so they had to respond with thousands of missiles targeted on cities and hundreds of thousands of troops that just happened to be ready....

On SM-A125F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The article is just CCP continuing the whole it won't be our fault if we have to attack our much smaller neighbour and kill millions. Someone made us build all those missiles and ships and use them. When Xi attacks, they will probably say some Taiwanese troop.fired a shot at one of their much larger ships so they had to respond with thousands of missiles targeted on cities and hundreds of thousands of troops that just happened to be ready....

I agree that is one interpretation, the Putinesque one ('the west made me do it') and it was the one that first came to mind. The second was as a piece of disinformation, implying he's not going to invade Taiwan, then whammy. The third was to give himself an excuse for not invading Taiwan. Reading tealeaves is a bit*h.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree that is one interpretation, the Putinesque one ('the west made me do it') and it was the one that first came to mind. The second was as a piece of disinformation, implying he's not going to invade Taiwan, then whammy. The third was to give himself an excuse for not invading Taiwan. Reading tealeaves is a bit*h.
I dont think the third one will work given he made taking Taiwan a key part of his reason for becoming dictator for life, and after the way Hong Kong has been treated, Taiwan will never give up without a fight especially given the young don't think of themselves as Chinese but as proud independent Taiwanese.

Article from the conversation talks about the
I dont think the third one will work given he made taking Taiwan a key part of his reason for becoming dictator for life, and after the way Hong Kong has been treated, Taiwan will never give up without a fight especially given the young don't think of themselves as Chinese but as proud independent Taiwanese.

Perhaps. We will have to wait and see. Personally I think PRC are would be stupid to get into a direct conflict with the Christian warriors from the US. They can get most of what they want without however ultranationalism does tend to make folks do stupid things.

The recent Kim-Putin hand holding and singing kumbaya together is as much about the PRC as it is about Ukraine according to this article in the Conversation

John Holmes asks the question - is the PRC at war in the South China Sea?
I did like the phrase he used - 'Strategic clarity lends itself to solutions.'

John Holmes asks the question - is the PRC at war in the South China Sea?
I did like the phrase he used - 'Strategic clarity lends itself to solutions.'
May be, Xi needs something to show the domestic market. Their economic situation looks to be worsening, and the Taiwan thing, at the moment, is too much in the spotlight internationally.
Probably reflecting what they once tried to do in the Himalayas/Hindu Kush. Pushing the bullying limits as far as possible against soft targets.
I do agree with him in that to the Chinese, they are conducting war. The question is whether or when, whoever the allies are, decide to designate it is war so they can invoke whatever protocols etc. It could turn into a Cold War II situation with a line each will not go over.

May be, Xi needs something to show the domestic market. Their economic situation looks to be worsening, and the Taiwan thing, at the moment, is too much in the spotlight internationally.
Probably reflecting what they once tried to do in the Himalayas/Hindu Kush. Pushing the bullying limits as far as possible against soft targets.
I do agree with him in that to the Chinese, they are conducting war. The question is whether or when, whoever the allies are, decide to designate it is war so they can invoke whatever protocols etc. It could turn into a Cold War II situation with a line each will not go over.

If it is true President Xi has asked the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan in 2027 then I would expect PRC belligerence toward Taiwan will increase over the next few years. If Trump is POTUS it's hard to know what the US response will be. He's talked tough on the PRC but he's just as likely to take billions of dollars from them and not support Taiwan. What a f*&cked up world we live in. Too many stupid old men in power.

On a different note, Chinese drones disguised as wind turbines were found by the Italians being shipped to Libya despite UN sanctions. These were not little plastic drones, they are the main large drone the PLAAF uses, the Wing Loong, which look like a Predator rip off. There is no way this wasn't done with the knowledge of the government. I'm waiting to see what response the PRC is to this - 'rogue' elements they will claim.

If it is true President Xi has asked the PLA to be ready to invade Taiwan in 2027 then I would expect PRC belligerence toward Taiwan will increase over the next few years. If Trump is POTUS it's hard to know what the US response will be. He's talked tough on the PRC but he's just as likely to take billions of dollars from them and not support Taiwan. What a f*&cked up world we live in. Too many stupid old men in power.

On a different note, Chinese drones disguised as wind turbines were found by the Italians being shipped to Libya despite UN sanctions. These were not little plastic drones, they are the main large drone the PLAAF uses, the Wing Loong, which look like a Predator rip off. There is no way this wasn't done with the knowledge of the government. I'm waiting to see what response the PRC is to this - 'rogue' elements they will claim.

Looks like they were going to old Gaddafi regime remants, probably the best of a bad situation there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back