Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Mayne's GM song is......I'm your man.

Get it right people.

Honestly SV, I more pictured that scene in 'Apocalypse Now' where Martin Sheen drowns in alcohol, memory and insanity in an overheated Saigon hotel room, to the maddening strains of 'The End' by the Doors.
Supposedly unplanned and unscripted. They just filmed Sheen during one of his many similar nights.

Supposedly unplanned and unscripted. They just filmed Sheen during one of his many similar nights.

I remember hearing that somewhere. Maybe we should be sceptical of Hollywood mythology, but on the other hand I think we can all testify to our own moments of drunken theatricality.

If he plays I support him.

I don’t get the nastiness directed at him?

He’s not elite, he’s not a star, he seems a yard slower, he doesn’t kick as far as he used to.

But he’s going ok as a near medium level player at the moment.

He’ll make way as better ones come in, but he’s been serviceable.

Also seems like a decent enough bloke, good attitude.

Wish him well.

If he is in Black and White he demands our support, and while I have not been flattering I have no great knock on him.
The thing is I don't see, yet, what it is he supplies that we do not get from a multitude of other players, at a significant price cut.
That said, if he keeps improving and adds to the side I will happily at my words.

I’m genuinely surprised there’s not more interest in how and why the deal happened. Surely Mayne would have come for, say, 3yrs and 1.2mill. Why such a ridiculous offer...? Gubby was up to something but it all fell over and we got caught holding the ball. I’m certain of it.

Yeah when he came in our list management was atrocious
You have to pay 95% and you can't pay unders always or else you pay extras to all on your list
So your in a corner and it ain't that easy when you stuff up
We needed to pay money 1 way or the other after allocating money for blokes who had left

With a young list , all on minimal money and mainly unproven ,We recruited 2 experienced free agents , one a classy distributor and the other a gun trainer, proven performer and a intelligent player of good character
Who I might add contributes immensely to a charity I too represent
My Info We payed up front and guess what not as much as people think as mayne didn't attract nor wells huge compo and both haven't played enough games
The equation is published on this and Connelly has disceted it
He points out that its all based on peak outcome
games , triggers , bonuses and base

Both players are teaching our young blokes by the way

I wish both well

Martin not Charlie.....though, apples and trees.

Last edited:
I’m genuinely surprised there’s not more interest in how and why the deal happened. Surely Mayne would have come for, say, 3yrs and 1.2mill. Why such a ridiculous offer...? Gubby was up to something but it all fell over and we got caught holding the ball. I’m certain of it.
Mayne has the keys to the Mines of Moria which is the only route to Redneck Forest, wherein lies the Inn where Tom Lynch's manager drinks his ale?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has really been a fantastic effort by Mayne to get back up off the canvas and play serviceable football in the AFL again and I commend him for that.

That said, I just don't see him as part of our best 22 (or probably 3 or 4 or 5), but he has proven to be handy depth this year when called upon.

Last edited:
not sure i agree with this, the match committee have been more then happy to play him in the seconds. infact i'd argue the opposite effect on playing him, it shows if you work hard and consistently play well in the 2nds and on the training track you'll be rewarded, which gives all players hope.

OR, it's gives VFL standard players playing in the AFL

awesome to see you guys getting around Mayney. When he's playing with confidence he's definitely an asset, and he's a top bloke to boot. Obviously not a part of your next premiership but he'll make his younger teammates stand a little bit taller when he's around.

awesome to see you guys getting around Mayney. When he's playing with confidence he's definitely an asset, and he's a top bloke to boot. Obviously not a part of your next premiership but he'll make his younger teammates stand a little bit taller when he's around.
Played awesome, him and Phillips two way running was terrific.

Little known fact, Jim Morrison was born in Melbourne.
Melbourne Florida; but more weirdly his dad was the admiral in charge of the "gulf of Tomkin" incident which was a false flag operation used as the pretext for entry into the Vietnam war.

Edit.. and yeah Mayne was really good tonight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Chris Mayne's a Legend. Re-signed until 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back