Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

So now that we are all in agreement that Yarran went for what he was worth could you Blue fans help us out with a little insight please?

When he was drafted, what position was he playing to draw your attention and get him picked at No 6?

Where has he played his best footy for you? I always remember the tidal wave of Betts, Yarran and Garlett sling-shotting down the ground to cause chaos for opposition defenses - what position was Yarran playing then?
The main thing is dont think of Yarran as a forward of centre player. He is best when running up the corridor facing the goals so he can hit someone on the chest with a lazer 20 m kick.

His best footy is played on the Wing and off Half Back. Id say his best seasons at Carlton where as a free half back. When eventually he started gettinf dragged back to the square and forced to defend we had to change it up and play him more up the ground.

I think in Richmonds midfield, he'd slot onto a win across from Ellis and could even spend a bit of time in the center circle possibly.

So now that we are all in agreement that Yarran went for what he was worth could you Blue fans help us out with a little insight please?

When he was drafted, what position was he playing to draw your attention and get him picked at No 6?

Where has he played his best footy for you? I always remember the tidal wave of Betts, Yarran and Garlett sling-shotting down the ground to cause chaos for opposition defenses - what position was Yarran playing then?

Here's my theory. You guys desperately need a quality small forward (and a mid-sized froward) to lift you into top 4 contention. You didn't break 300 goals last season.

I think the thinking with Yarran was to try and mould him into a Wanganeen type - a hard nut running defender who dashes forward to kick goals. But Yarran isn't a hard nut. He does the brilliant things, but struggles to maintain contact for an entire game, gets a couple kicked on him and then gets the sulks.

Smartest thing you guys could do is put him on a wing or half forward flank. Let him run, bounce and kick 2-3 goals a week. You could end up with a guy who gets 20 touches and 2 goals a week, or 15 and 3 if you play him deeper.

Here's my theory. You guys desperately need a quality small forward (and a mid-sized froward) to lift you into top 4 contention. You didn't break 300 goals last season.

I think the thinking with Yarran was to try and mould him into a Wanganeen type - a hard nut running defender who dashes forward to kick goals. But Yarran isn't a hard nut. He does the brilliant things, but struggles to maintain contact for an entire game, gets a couple kicked on him and then gets the sulks.

Smartest thing you guys could do is put him on a wing or half forward flank. Let him run, bounce and kick 2-3 goals a week. You could end up with a guy who gets 20 touches and 2 goals a week, or 15 and 3 if you play him deeper.

I agree with this. I want him to play the role that we had for Knights before his injury curse stated :(

Get Yarran to play the role of a High Half forward with the licence to roam up the ground...he can support the backs and mids to receive the ball to get a attacking chain started. he would then be a perfect foil for Dusty to kick long to when Yarran breaks out into space behind the press. That is why i am so excited. Martin can kick 70 meters to space, he has just had nobody to kick to that has that quick acceleration to break into space, he does now.

I saw the 1980 Grand final live. Better than watching my team's last premiership on a DVD with a box of tissues.

Showing you age and immaturity which go hand in hand with Richmond's performances over the past 35 years and not much will change in the short to medium term.
I was at the 68, 69, 70, 72, 79, 81, 82, 87 and 95 GF's.

If he's delivering into 50 and his kicking is as good as you Carlton blokes reckon it is, then when he kicks to the advantage of Jack, Vicks, Lids, Dusty, Lennon then they will all be much harder to defend than they were this year.

Our biggest weakness this year was moving the ball into the forward line. Or, to put it another way, moving the ball quickly and incisively. Teams tried to shut down Houli and Lids. If they succeeded we tended to lose. Yarran is an effort to deal with that IMHO. If he can play to a decent standard shutting down our run gets so much harder, and it perhaps frees others up to move it more freely forward. If he plays to his potential then we become a 3+ goal a game better team. Unlikely but could happen.

So I guess that is why he was such a focus, it deals with our biggest weakness. Guy that has the running and (to some extent) kicking ability of Lids. That he is limited to that sort of role doesn't matter, it's what we need. IF he can free up our ball movement forward then he is worth pick 19+. Imagine having Vickery, JR, Griff, Dusty, Lids etc as targets with good ball movement. We've got the forward artillery, just giving them the ammunition (good opportunities) has been the problem.

Showing you age and immaturity which go hand in hand with Richmond's performances over the past 35 years and not much will change in the short to medium term.
I was at the 68, 69, 70, 72, 79, 81, 82, 87 and 95 GF's.

Congratulations, have a cookie.

Newsflash: Age does not = intelligence

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with this. I want him to play the role that we had for Knights before his injury curse stated :(

Get Yarran to play the role of a High Half forward with the licence to roam up the ground...he can support the backs and mids to receive the ball to get a attacking chain started. he would then be a perfect foil for Dusty to kick long to when Yarran breaks out into space behind the press. That is why i am so excited. Martin can kick 70 meters to space, he has just had nobody to kick to that has that quick acceleration to break into space, he does now.
Yarran is very familiar with that play, both as the kicker & the forward getting goalside of the press. He should be very handy if that's how you use him

Thats not quite true Dad.

Congratulations, have a cookie.

Newsflash: Age does not = intelligence

Follow the conversation before buying in, another mental giant.
One's age does reflect intelligence. Knowledge, experience etc etc is all encompassing of one's intelligence .....something some of your club supporters on this site will never be able to experience!!!
Yarran has the physical attributes to be a topline AFL footballer however he's missing the key ingredient in his make up"attitude".

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Chris Yarran [to Richmond for Pick 19]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back