Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

I would feel a little more for Petracca if he wasnt seemingly keen to only go to the two biggest clubs in the AFL. He signed the contract, you can ask/force your way out but if he's genuinely trying to go to Collingwood and/or Carlton you lose a bit of credibility.

Since he signed the contract, he's had Oliver implode on the bags and all the shit that causes internally (like what happened at West Coast, and Gold Coast with the playing group split between party boys and professionals) the Club (at least externally) running nothing but static, while sliding down the ladder and not improving the list, and then getting medically ****ed over and sent out to play with no spleen.

He's got grounds.

He hasn't covered himself in glory with the 'big club and brand' stuff, but he's 29 next year. He's only got a few years left to maximize his earnings (both current, and future). There are commercial realities here, and in a few years time, he's going to have a singular talent (footballer), that cant earn him a penny so I don't really begrudge him for having at least some commercial angle to it as well (looking after his future).

See also: Judd and Visy.

I know it's an emotional game and 'playing for the jumper' and all that, but that ship largely sailed a long time ago, and objectively speaking, its fair enough and we should be adults about it.

Apparently he would go to any club on the east coast, but his preference is one of the big vic clubs.
Yey for being a leper club!!!

If that's true, I'd actually be furious if I'm a Melbourne supporter and he's not traded. First they try to trade 2 1sts for Houston, then they keep a guy who is clearly beyond pissed. A bunch of selfish arseholes in charge of the club

1B66FA3E-3CA9-464E-8DC3-C833C800ED91.jpeg

Good to see the Collingwood coach is a bit more realistic than some Collingwood fans

Again I ask, how was the Melb medicos meant to know this without hospital equipment and player saying he felt fine to go back on?

It’s easy to say in hindsight but from all reports proper process was followed. If players don’t like the process than don’t play the game.
If they dont know, they have to find out. If theyre relying on guesswork then they should have their medical licenses revoked.

I think it's completely stupid, so long as teams arent trying to fleece them. Just bite the bullet and move on

It's more complicated than that which can be explained by this hypothetical. Would you trade Serong for him? Seems like a fair trade right?

Melbourne just puffing there chests to see what offers they can get.

Worst business decision ever to keep someone on that coin who doesn’t want to be there.

Well, would you trade Daicos for him?

I think what they want is a fair trade. If you aren't willing to depart with Daicos, then it won't happen.

If they dont know, they have to find out. If theyre relying on guesswork then they should have their medical licenses revoked.

So everyone a player comes off after a bump or with a niggle you suggest driving them to hospital to have scans done?

A lot of medical assessment is actually asking the impacted person how they feel, is there pain here, can you walk straight ect ect

How do we know Trac didn’t lie (like a lot of players seemingly do when assessed) and said he felt fine?

Can’t always be the medicos fault and Trac wouldn’t have any legs to stand on legally and if he did it would **** the game even more than it already is.

Since he signed the contract, he's had Oliver implode on the bags and all the shit that causes internally (like what happened at West Coast, and Gold Coast with the playing group split between party boys and professionals) the Club (at least externally) running nothing but static, while sliding down the ladder and not improving the list, and then getting medically ****ed over and sent out to play with no spleen.

He's got grounds.

He hasn't covered himself in glory with the 'big club and brand' stuff, but he's 29 next year. He's only got a few years left to maximize his earnings (both current, and future). There are commercial realities here, and in a few years time, he's going to have a singular talent (footballer), that cant earn him a penny so I don't really begrudge him for having at least some commercial angle to it as well (looking after his future).

See also: Judd and Visy.

I know it's an emotional game and 'playing for the jumper' and all that, but that ship largely sailed a long time ago, and objectively speaking, its fair enough and we should be adults about it.
Yeah, I would hold nothing against him if he said "you guys ****ed me, find somewhere on the East Coast that's not Richmond, North or Gold Coast and make it work." The off-field commercial realities dont hold much water to me given he's signed that contract. No problem forcing his way out so long as he understands Melbourne still have to be compensated. It's Pies in particular he shouldnt even bother trying to join tbh.

It's more complicated than that which can be explained by this hypothetical. Would you trade Serong for him? Seems like a fair trade right?

Well, would you trade Daicos for him?

I think what they want is a fair trade. If you aren't willing to depart with Daicos, then it won't happen.
Sorry, I dont understand the point you're trying to make with regards to Serong. What has trading Serong got to do with keeping a player who has given you a lot and seemingly completely done with your club when your list is cooked and needing to be restarted anyway

So everyone a player comes off after a bump or with a niggle you suggest driving them to hospital to have scans done?
I already said no to this lmao
A lot of medical assessment is actually asking the impacted person how they feel, is there pain here, can you walk straight ect ect
It was quite clear at the time that trac couldnt move right. If we could see it on TV then the medicos sure as **** could see it while right in front of him, even the Pies players could see it
How do we know Trac didn’t lie (like a lot of players seemingly do when assessed) and said he felt fine?

Can’t always be the medicos fault and Trac wouldn’t have any legs to stand on legally and if he did it would **** the game even more than it already is.
I didnt say its always the medicos fault, but the medicos have a duty of care here

If the player in question is in the amount of screaming agony Petracca was, is unable to breathe properly, and the video clearly shows a knee in the spleen, and he has obvious 10/10 pain when you poke him in his broken ribs there, then yeah there is a good chance he's done something serious.

The Club prioritized winning over his welfare.

Sorry, I dont understand the point you're trying to make with regards to Serong. What has trading Serong got to do with keeping a player who has given you a lot and seemingly completely done with your club when your list is cooked and needing to be restarted anyway

My point here is value of player.

Melbourne would only want to trade him out with someone of value which is their right to do. Three first round picks should not be enough to get the deal done. An established player and two first round picks are more suitable.

They would want a top player who can easily come in and take over the gap that Petracca has left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both.
Melbourne will no doubt have to take under what theyd ideally like if a trade happens.
Noble is worth a pick in the 30s, Pies can ask for 20 or 26 but they wont get overs if the guy doesnt want to be there.
Noble has 2 years of contract left. I see us getting pick 26. Our future 1st is a gamble but it could be a top 5 pick or a pick in the teens. Future 1st, pick 26, 35ish (We have Hawks 2nd, pick 37 (from Port for Richards) throw in a McInnes that Melbourne wanted last year or another young unknown that Melbourne fancy and we are at least in the ball park. But to be honest I don't really want to gamble on Petracca I would prefer we take our picks to the draft.

My point here is value of player.

Melbourne would only want to trade him out with someone of value which is their right to do. Three first round picks should not be enough to get the deal done. An established player and two first round picks are more suitable.

They would want a top player who can easily come in and take over.
Yes, they seem to think they can still contend, I believe that is completely ridiculous and believing they contend is a bunch of selfish coaches and list managers looking after their jobs. They arent contending with their list and keeping a pissed off Petracca wont exactly help.

Unlike a lot of teams coming out of contention, they have some nice enough under 25 year olds. Build around them with draft picks over the next two years while the signed up mature players give protection (Gawn, May, Viney) before they retire within 2-3 years.

I already said no to this lmao

It was quite clear at the time that trac couldnt move right. If we could see it on TV then the medicos sure as **** could see it while right in front of him, even the Pies players could see it

I didnt say its always the medicos fault, but the medicos have a duty of care here

Slippery slope and if you want to encourage players to start sueing clubs and medicos whenever they seemingly get hurt or an initial assessment isn’t correct based on limited information then it’s going down a dangerous path which would likely have serious consequences to the game as a whole.

Process was followed and signed off in this scenario.

The off-field commercial realities dont hold much water to me given he's signed that contract.

The contract is getting torn up though.

Maybe the Dees frontloaded the shit out of it, but I doubt it was next level front loading even if they did. They had a fair few players asking for (or on) good money when he signed it.

There are very real differences in marketability and social media reach (beyond playing contract money) for signing with a big club, than heading over to relative obscurity in a smaller one.

He's got less than 5 years left to squeeze every penny he can (and obtain as many Instagram followers as he can) before that all comes to an end, and he finds himself basically living on what he has.

Its different from other jobs where you start small, and by the time you're in your 50's you're on good coin as a partner or whatever.

Nick. The higher value one which is the comparable player.
Nick Daicos for Christian Petracca?

Steve Harvey Wow GIF by NBC

The contract is getting torn up though.

Maybe the Dees frontloaded the shit out of it, but I doubt it was next level front loading even if they did. They had a fair few players asking for (or on) good money when he signed it.

There are very real differences in marketability and social media reach (beyond playing contract money) for signing with a big club, than heading over to relative obscurity in a smaller one.

He's got less than 5 years left to squeeze every penny he can (and obtain as many Instagram followers as he can) before that all comes to an end, and he finds himself basically living on what he has.

Its different from other jobs where you start small, and by the time you're in your 50's you're on good coin as a partner or whatever.

Not like the bloke can’t get another job once he finishes in footy. Most ex players do.

Petracca might have to stay put.

No one can afford him. especially if Harry McKay and Manager are saying no to the deal.

I love this bloke and hope he stays at Melbourne.

Very sad if the club has burned him. It's possible given the Clarry situation, and the rumoured Goodwin situation.

Just a side note, and not talking Trac down because he's a proven match winner, but 2 top 10 picks seems like overs given his age, injuries and fitness.4 tears ago yes.

Noble has 2 years of contract left. I see us getting pick 26.
That doesnt hold as much water as from the sounds of it Noble is the one pushing to leave. Im sure GC would be happy to get him but theyre not chasing him like they might some other players, the contract status is kind of irrelevant in terms of picks traded.
Our future 1st is a gamble but it could be a top 5 pick or a pick in the teens. Future 1st, pick 26, 35ish (We have Hawks 2nd, pick 37 (from Port for Richards) throw in a McInnes that Melbourne wanted last year or another young unknown that Melbourne fancy and we are at least in the ball park. But to be honest I don't really want to gamble on Petracca I would prefer we take our picks to the draft.
I dont think thats quite ballpark there lol.
Nobody is going to value your F1 at a top 5 pick, or even a top 10 pick especially if you add Petracca to the list.
You suggested pick 13ish?, 26, 35, 37, and a couple of fringe players worth next to nothing.
Roughly the value of 13 and maybe pick 18 all up

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back