Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

If the player in question is in the amount of screaming agony Petracca was, is unable to breathe properly, and the video clearly shows a knee in the spleen, and he has obvious 10/10 pain when you poke him in his broken ribs there, then yeah there is a good chance he's done something serious.

The Club prioritized winning over his welfare.

As I said, process was followed and signed off on the club.

If that process is shit then he can go after the AFL but it will run the risk of every other player doing the same when they get injured in the future.

The contract is getting torn up though.

Maybe the Dees frontloaded the shit out of it, but I doubt it was next level front loading even if they did. They had a fair few players asking for (or on) good money when he signed it.

There are very real differences in marketability and social media reach (beyond playing contract money) for signing with a big club, than heading over to relative obscurity in a smaller one.

He's got less than 5 years left to squeeze every penny he can (and obtain as many Instagram followers as he can) before that all comes to an end, and he finds himself basically living on what he has.

Its different from other jobs where you start small, and by the time you're in your 50's you're on good coin as a partner or whatever.
Why is the contract getting torn up? Yeah I'm sorry, I'm not feeling for a guy if he only wants to play for a big club to maximise his earnings. He does just fine

Slippery slope and if you want to encourage players to start sueing clubs and medicos whenever they seemingly get hurt or an initial assessment isn’t correct based on limited information then it’s going down a dangerous path which would likely have serious consequences to the game as a whole.

Process was followed and signed off in this scenario.
I dont want players to sue, but if hes disgruntled because of the way it was handled then I dont blame him.

He wasn’t forced back onto the oval. He physically ran back on himself.

He is a grown man who can make his own decisions, opposed to always looking to blame others.
The doctors can stop him. They actually have the power to stop a player if they dont deem them fit to return to play, its actually their job to do that

So everyone a player comes off after a bump or with a niggle you suggest driving them to hospital to have scans done?

No, but it wasnt a 'bump or a niggle'.

It was an action that was likely to result in potentially life-threatening internal injuries, and the patient (a fit athlete) was presenting with excruciating internal abdominal pain. The Doctor was able to see the actual action (via high-definition replay) that led to the injury, and the immediate aftermath.

There was a good chance he'd done something nasty internally.

He should have been sent to the hospital for scans, and not sent back out to play.

Winning took priority over his welfare.

The Doctor ****ed up. He should have informed the coach that he was not in a fit state to play (which he clearly was not) and should be sent to hospital for precautionary scans.

A lot of medical assessment is actually asking the impacted person how they feel, is there pain here, can you walk straight ect ect

He was literally screaming in agony, and unable to move on his own for several minutes afterwards. There is video footage of it.

The doctors can stop him. They actually have the power to stop a player if they dont deem them fit to return to play, its actually their job to do that

As I said, they had limited information they were working off including being told by Trac that he was fine to go back on.

Process was followed, Trac decided to run back on.

Anyway it’s moot. He is contracted player so clubs can offer up what they want or he stays.

Why is the contract getting torn up?

Its either repudiated (by both parties) or the obligations to the MFC (paying him) are assigned to his new club.

Petracca has flat out said he wont perform his obligations under the contract to the other contracting party. They're under no obligation to fulfil their side of the bargain if they accept that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its either repudiated (by both parties) or the obligations to the MFC (paying him) are assigned to his new club.

Petracca has flat out said he wont perform his obligations under the contract to the other contracting party. They're under no obligation to fulfil their side of the bargain if they accept that.

Source?

As I said, they had limited information they were working off including being told by Trac that he was fine to go back on.

Process was followed, Trac decided to run back on.

Anyway it’s moot. He is contracted player so clubs can offer up what they want or he stays.
I dont know why youre fighting this so hard.

If the doctor doesnt know whats causing Petracca so much internal pain in the abdomen area then he should be sent to hospital, thats not something you **** around with.

If Trac says hes ok then the doctor HAS to tell him **** no youre not going back out there

The doctors JOB is to take care of him, its straight up just a **** up or negligence by the doctor

Melbourne just puffing there chests to see what offers they can get.

Worst business decision ever to keep someone on that coin who doesn’t want to be there.
Let em keep him and it would be such a Demons move. If any move to us involves Harry or TDK or Charlie they can get ****ed.

I dont know why youre fighting this so hard.

If the doctor doesnt know whats causing Petracca so much internal pain in the abdomen area then he should be sent to hospital, thats not something you **** around with.

If Trac says hes ok then the doctor HAS to tell him **** no youre not going back out there

The doctors JOB is to take care of him, its straight up just a **** up or negligence by the doctor

How the **** does a doctor know he is in pain if he is saying he is fine and putting on a brave face? He isn’t a mind reader.

Anyway as I said it’s moot, process was followed. Not sure why we are even still discussing this. Go complain to the AFL if you have issues with the process.

Go complain to the AFL in that case

He likely would in any Lawsuit for medical negligence, naming the Club, AFL and the Doctor personally in the action.

And if you don't think the AFLPA would get involved as well, then you're not paying attention.

The policy for injury can't contain a provision that where a doctor views it as a possibility a player may have suffered a potentially life-threatening injury (and any reasonable Doctor should have formed such a view in this case), they get sent out to play.

Medicine isnt a precise science. I get that. But in this case, I reckon the medicos (and the Club) would have a case to answer.

It’s easy to say in hindsight but from all reports proper process was followed.

Process was followed and signed off in this scenario.

As I said, process was followed and signed off on the club.

You can keep screaming this into the void but it won't change the fact that your club doctor has a duty of care to put the welfare of the players ahead of the outcome of the game. As stallon mentioned, the club doctor has the final say on if a player is fit to resume playing.

Blind Freddy could see that Petracca was not fit to continue. You could tell that just by watching him hobble around like a cripple, because he was crippled.

His injuries were severe enough that the hospital contacted his next of kin and warned them he may not survive.

It's not just a case of 'Process was followed and signed off', the process clearly was either not followed, or is inadequate.

Quite frankly, more should be getting made of the fact that a medical professional cleared someone with multiple injuries to vital organs to re-take the field, especially when he then spent a week in intensive care after requiring emergency surgery.

He likely would in any Lawsuit for medical negligence, naming the Club, AFL and the Doctor personally in the action.

And if you don't think the AFLPA would get involved as well, then you're not paying attention.

The policy for injury can't contain a provision that where a doctor views it as a possibility a player may have suffered a potentially life-threatening injury (and any reasonable Doctor should have formed such a view in this case), they get sent out to play.

Medicine isnt a precise science. I get that. But in this case, I reckon the medicos (and the Club) would have a case to answer.

This is not happening, it never has and likely never will.

You can keep screaming this into the void but it won't change the fact that your club doctor has a duty of care to put the welfare of the players ahead of the outcome of the game. As stallon mentioned, the club doctor has the final say on if a player is fit to resume playing.

Blind Freddy could see that Petracca was not fit to continue. You could tell that just by watching him hobble around like a cripple, because he was crippled.

His injuries were severe enough that the hospital contacted his next of kin and warned them he may not survive.

It's not just a case of 'Process was followed and signed off', the process clearly was either not followed, or is inadequate.

Quite frankly, more should be getting made of the fact that a medical professional cleared someone with multiple injuries to vital organs to re-take the field, especially when he then spent a week in intensive care after requiring emergency surgery.

Medical professional did what they were trained to do and the process which is the AFLs process.

We are going in circles on this unnecessarily. Make a separate thread in general forum if you want to discuss the AFL medical processes.

How the **** does a doctor know he is in pain if he is saying he is fine and putting on a brave face? He isn’t a mind reader.

Anyway as I said it’s moot, process was followed. Not sure why we are even still discussing this. Go complain to the AFL if you have issues with the process.
LOL its not exactly hard to tell when someone is in pain, they even got him to walk/jog up and down the boundary at the time and he struggled with that

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Christian Petracca [UFA 2029]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back