Cider Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I believe 2 Brothers brewery in Morrabbin are now making pear cider. I saw a sign for it the other week at Young & Jackson's.

Quote from 2brothers site:

Gypsy - The crispest Pear Cider ever.
After a heap of research and a bunch of test brewing, we've finally crafted
our first tasty batch of Gypsy - a crystal clear sparkling pear cider.
Gypsy is made from a blend of pears and apples.

Brewer's notes: Sparkling straw color, pear /candy aroma. Gypsy is a
semi-sweet cider with a predominantly pear flavour and vanilla notes.
Medium acidity with a crisp clean finish. Gypsy is a cider worth
travelling for.

This one's really sweet, isn't it?

You guys should try some of the Harcourt (Bendigo) ciders...forgotten the brand name, but they've quite a nasty kick (7 or 8% or more from memory, big 500ml bottles).

Thanks for this info, I've been looking for Koppaberg in Melbourne for two years without success (Other than at IKEA non-alcoholic)

Much appreciated.

Not a worry. I nearly fell over when I wandered past the cellars and saw them putting the sign up!!! I need to send a box down to a mate who lives in Apollo Bay he loves them too!

Not a big drinker myself but a mate put me onto a brand called 5 Seeds, its made in NZ but distributed by Tooheys

I bought a ctn for 45 bucks, extra dry, been going down well with all the bbq's been having

so yeh give it a go.......

Any idea where someone would find them?

Depends on what part of Earth one resides in, Bard...

In Melbourne's West, bottle shops in Yarraville, Seddon and Newport stock them.

Dan Murphy's might be worth a try, or if there's a non-chain bottle store in your area give them a go. They won't be stocked by any of the bigs (except for Dan Murphy, possibly).

Cider is a strange beast. It's the 2nd most popular alcoholic beverage in England behind beer, and the same in France behind wine. The trend is catching on in Australia and there is currently a flurry of ciders in the market such as 5 seeds, Strongbow, Pipsqueak etc. Problem is its all rubbish. Horribly sweet fizz that’s made from an artificial extract.

But that’s what the market demands. People will consider a purchase at $10 a 4 pack or $15 per 6 pack and judging from the above comments enjoy the artificial cider. Some more up-market ciders such as montieths or the winery attached brands are seen as more premium and high quality product because it's made from actual apples. Wrong. You need to use the heritage or cider variety's when making cider. Much the same with wine. You can make a wine from the supermarket variety, 'Sultana' but you won't make a good wine unless you have wine grapes, such as 'Shiraz'.

If you like the taste of apples find yourself a cider that is made from cider apples. It will make your head spin. I could rattle off a few names of good ciders but not many are interested in paying $20 for a 750ml bottle. One of the best affordable ciders i found at the Salamaka markets in Hobart. South Country Cyder. He makes the traditional non-carbonated 'scrumpy' style as well as the more commercial carbonated one. The 375ml stubbies, particularly the medium dry was easily the best cider i have tried from Australia. If you live in Tassie or are visiting you simply must source this product.

Another note on cider from a technical viewpoint. Due to the natural sugar levels in apples, it is impossible to make a cider under 7% alcohol without adding water to it. So next time you pick up a cider look at the percentage. Above 7% and it's made properly. Under and its an extract diluted with water.

Bump
FYI,

Dan Murphy's now stock Kopparberg Pear Cider stubbies. In fact they now stock a lot of Pear Cider's from Swde, Eng, Ire & Aus. Pear Cider will be unleashed in a big way on the Australian public this summer.

I have only recently started drinking cider, I have been liking Bulmers original and Bulmers pear, Mercury, Kingston pear, but the best one I have had so far is Montieths Crushed Apple Cider, it is from NZ it's brillant.

Someone mentioned Mercury Black, they have stopped making that.

Weston's Old Rosie cloudy scrumpy is a nice drop. I drank one of these last friday & it did the job.

Old-Rosie-2L.jpg

I use to be a beer drinker then got sick of beer. So i turned to scotch for awhile but got sick of that too. I spent along time searching for a drink i could really enjoy. I don't actually drink to get drunk i drink to relax. Then one day whilst shopping i walked into a liquorland outlet and was staring at all kinds of drinks. One of the woman that work there asked if she could help me so i said i am trying to find a drink but i don't want beer and i dont want spirits. She then suggested cider. So i said yea why not. So i bought a 6 pack of Strongbow Sweet Cider. It was love at first taste. Now i claim to be a cider drinker. Best part is i only need 2 or 3 stubbies to relax me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

anyone know where in hobart you can buy mercury black?

also give three kings a go, one of the best i've had

Pipsqueak Cider is a fresh and tangy drop.
In fact, I am enjoying one right now! :thumbsu:

Usually a beer man (Cooper's, Becks), I could easily convert to this stuff...goes down clean and easy!

Tried a few of these Sunday Night at Bennett's Lane jazz club.

Nice.

Have always loved a Strongbow Sweet but I see a lot of loathing for it in this thread. Might have to try a Mercury or one of the others in this thread sometime. Can't wait to get to Europe and try some of the local ciders there later this year.

If you travel to the northern French region of Normandy, you will be in prime cider-producing country.
I'm going to be in Germany for a while at the start of my time there. I'm sure they have found time amongst all the beer making to produce some kind of good tasting cider there. Yes?

I'm going to be in Germany for a while at the start of my time there. I'm sure they have found time amongst all the beer making to produce some kind of good tasting cider there. Yes?

According to Wikipedia, German-produced cider can be found in the west of the country.

I've never tasted cider from Germany.

I mentioned cider from Normandy because the region is regarded as the best in the world for producing cider apples. I'm a tad biased as I'm originally from there, too.

As far as apples ciders go, try out some French ciders, they know their stuff.

Had never really tried cider; used to always bag people for drinking strongbow. Then the other day I got given one at the Belgian Beer Garden. In more of a vase then a glass i downed it in no time. Tasted awesome. Pear definitely the best of the flavours.

Then I went up to order my shout and it was $13.50 a glass/vase!

Tried Gyspy cider at a beer and cider tasting festival in Melbourne...hope like hell it is in Perth, it was the shit

My local's recently put Bulmers on tap. $6.50 a pint, thank you very much. :D

Nice, its great on tap.

I have been trying a few different ones recently. Malt & Vine in Newport has a few to choose from.

anyone know where in hobart you can buy mercury black?

also give three kings a go, one of the best i've had

Those looking for Mercury Black can stop, they stopped making it 2 years ago because too many "young people" were getting "too out of hand"

That was from one of the staff members at Cascade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Cider Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back