Clarification regarding Carrara's actual capacity

Remove this Banner Ad

Hicham

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2003
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
A concrete answer would be greatly appreciated.

What is the actual capacity of the Gold Coast Stadium at Carrara?

Thanks in advance.

Today's NRL game attracted 18K and the commentators stated that the match was sold out.

FWIW

Did they say that there were temporary stands put in for the match?

...otherwise the capacity is 18k as stated on many websites (incl austadiums.com)

It is 18,000. There have been some claims that the Aussie Rules capacity is 11,000 (or thereabouts) this year, however the Lions had over 13,000 there for a NAB Cup game last year.

It is 18,000. There have been some claims that the Aussie Rules capacity is 11,000 (or thereabouts) this year, however the Lions had over 13,000 there for a NAB Cup game last year.

Arrh, the question without an answer.

Yes the Lions did have 13,000 last year, however, if you look at the coverage from Carrara, four new temporary stands have been placed in what used to be standing room, thus less would be able to get in.

The NRL crowds always amaze me, as they never make sense. I went to the first Titans game, and they said there was 18,000 and it was packed. There are temporary stands placed on the outer wing playing surface which would add quite a few seats.

But as for your question. Who the heck would know?

I think the aus stadiums website says 18,000 for the complex, but remember there is a basketball stadium in the complex and many have told me that the 18,000 includes that.

Arrh, the question without an answer.

Yes the Lions did have 13,000 last year, however, if you look at the coverage from Carrara, four new temporary stands have been placed in what used to be standing room, thus less would be able to get in.

The NRL crowds always amaze me, as they never make sense. I went to the first Titans game, and they said there was 18,000 and it was packed. There are temporary stands placed on the outer wing playing surface which would add quite a few seats.

But as for your question. Who the heck would know?

I thought I was pretty definitive. I said "It is 18,000". Where's the ambiguity?

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=31

In the past larger crowds (up to around 22,000 in 2005) have been there, but this has involved temporary stands, as you allude to above. This year's capacity it 18,000.

I think the aus stadiums website says 18,000 for the complex, but remember there is a basketball stadium in the complex and many have told me that the 18,000 includes that.

No, the austadiums site says that "Carrara Stadium has main grandstands on either side of the ground, and grassed areas around the rest of the ground. It has a total capacity of around 18,000 including 5,300 undercover seats and 2,500 transportable seats which can be placed in front of the outer grandstand for Rugby League matches.". That is not for the basketball stadium.

They have additional seating for NRL games given the playing area is much smaller. They put out temporary seating out for the NRL games. For AFL games there is about 10k seating and the rest is standing room, how many you can squeeze into the standing areas would only be about 2-3k I would imagine.

I was there for the 13k game, and you won't fit too many more with any degree of comfort in there. the capacity could be just about anything with the standing room, but you wouldn't want to be in amongst it. It was not real good behind the goals last year at the Hawks-Lions game, I can tell you. :(

I thought I was pretty definitive. I said "It is 18,000". Where's the ambiguity?

http://www.austadiums.com/stadiums/stadiums.php?id=31

In the past larger crowds (up to around 22,000 in 2005) have been there, but this has involved temporary stands, as you allude to above. This year's capacity it 18,000.

The last update on Carrara Stadium was in July 2006.

By looking at the overhead shot they use, there have been four new temporary stands placed in areas which were previously standing room, so that would make the capacity much less. They also mention the 2500 tempory seats on the oval for RL.

There are many ambiguities there as far as I am concerned.

No, the austadiums site says that "Carrara Stadium has main grandstands on either side of the ground, and grassed areas around the rest of the ground. It has a total capacity of around 18,000 including 5,300 undercover seats and 2,500 transportable seats which can be placed in front of the outer grandstand for Rugby League matches.".

Last updated 26.7.2006.

The configuration has changed since then.

There is still no definitive answer to this question.

18,000 for NRL
14,000 for AFL

I think

although NRL crowds have been up to 21,102 (at 117% of capacity meaning capacity normally = 18,000 from that Austadiums site) for a Bulldogs vs NQ in May 2005.

I think a Lions/Bombers or Pies match got around 17,000 a few years ago

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Clarification regarding Carrara's actual capacity

Remove this Banner Ad

Back