R12 97 v Bulldogs
R17 01 v Essendon
R20 02 v Adelaide
R22 02 v Brisbane
R17 03 v Brisbane
PF 04 v St Kilda
R21 07 v Geelong
R8 09 v Richmond

Plus Geelong vs Essendon Rd 6 1993 annnnd I got Daicos' 13 goals as a gift for a mate.

Cheers for the help! Can't wait to dive into these!

Also the game against Carlton when burgs kicked the goal on (or after) the siren, man I was pumped then (maybe 2000ish dates are not my strong point)

Rd 21 2000 from memory...amazing day

I'll go with a lesser known one as the best have understandably been covered. Round 1 2007 against Fremantle at Subiaco. 40 odd down and looking hopeless, but we come back to smash them and shut the crowd up. Some amazing goals were kicked that day by Ebert, Lade and Rodan (in his first game for us).

It's gotta be Port v St Kilda prelim in 2004... nothing else comes close.
That was a horrible game, not a classic match at all. I was as euphoric as anyone else there, not just for the win but for the fact we hadn't screwed up in finals for the 4th year in a row. The games I named earlier were ones I will go to again when I perfect my time machine, four quarters of bravery and skill. The Port v St Kilda prelim was a half of horrible choking by us then the same by them, capped off with Wanganeen magic. I have the DVD but have never watched it.

I'll go with a lesser known one as the best have understandably been covered. Round 1 2007 against Fremantle at Subiaco. 40 odd down and looking hopeless, but we come back to smash them and shut the crowd up. Some amazing goals were kicked that day by Ebert, Lade and Rodan (in his first game for us).

I loved that game. From memory Fremantle went in to season 2007 with a load of expectation and Port were expected to struggle. It looked like Freo were in cruise control then Brendon Lade kicked a 70 meter torp from the boundary to get some momentum on our side. We came back and handed them a pretty demoralizing defeat. I like to think it de-railed their season before it began. They missed the finals all together and we ended up playing off in the GF.

That was a horrible game, not a classic match at all. I was as euphoric as anyone else there, not just for the win but for the fact we hadn't screwed up in finals for the 4th year in a row. The games I named earlier were ones I will go to again when I perfect my time machine, four quarters of bravery and skill. The Port v St Kilda prelim was a half of horrible choking by us then the same by them, capped off with Wanganeen magic. I have the DVD but have never watched it.

lol wut? I can see how you can have this point of view of the game if you've never watched a full replay. The game was pretty much a see saw battle after the first 20 minutes of the match when Port reeled the Saints back in. It was hard, body on the line type finals footy with both teams throwing everything at winning a place in the GF. Add in heroics by Wilbur and Wanganeen and you have one of the best finals games of the new millennium.

The website was an absolute disgrace and a task that should have taken 5 minutes turned into an ongoing battle!
Fortunately managed to get 15 odd games so hopefully they arrive in a reasonable timeframe.

Powerstufff - I'd recommend watching the 04 Prelim in full from start to finish. Its not just a classic Port match, its a bonafide classic AFL finals match. Hard, tough, edge of your seat, neither side gave an inch the whole match. Absolutely electric last half.

Incredible game of footy.

I dont think we were 40 points down in that Freo Round 1 match in 07....I think it was 4 goals at half time, but yeah, great comeback. BOG was big Toby, absolutely thrashed Tarrant playing his first game for Freo.

Well Rory and Macca19 I may have downgraded the 04 Prelim more than I should have but it still wasn't a classic match IMO. Had it not been a final, and such an important one, it wouldn't hold up. Like Showdown 1, a hugely important game in our history but had it been R6 Carlton v Fremantle it would have been forgotten. Odd, Wanganeen was the key in both.

I went with

1997 Round 3 Port Adelaide V Geelong
1997 Round 12 Port Adelaide V Western Bulldogs
2001 Round 17 Port Adelaide V Essendon
2003 Round 19 Port Adelaide V Carlton - Prison Bars.
2004 Grand Final Port Adelaide V Brisbane
2006 Round 21 Port Adelaide V Adelaide
2007 Qualifying Final Port Adelaide V West Coast
2009 Round 8 Port Adelaide V Richmond
2011 Round 24 Port Adelaide V Melbourne

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, I disagree with this on so many levels I don't know where to start! The electricity of the crowd on that night is something I've yet to experience again.. if you take out the pressure and implications of a match then you may as well not watch the grand final.

I mostly remember it cause it's one of the handful of games I've been to live, think it was 2006 ANZAC weekend game, we beat a fast finishing St. Kilda by 4 points in a pretty good game

Aside from games already mentioned one of my favourites was the Rd11 game in 1999 against Richmond were we kicked 4 goals but won the game in dreadful conditions with the desperate effort of Che Cockatoo-Collins "soccering" the ball along the bountry for 1/2 the length of the ground in the last quarter to kill time and get a rousing standing ovation for his effort.

We very nearly lost that game as well. Pretty sure we were about 14 points up with a couple of minutes left. Richmond got 2 quick ones and then from memory, the siren went as the ball was sliding inside Richmonds F50 with an open player about to pick the ball up and have a shot.

Without doubt the wettest game of football ive been to. Bucketed down all night, non stop.

Yeah, it was a bloody awful game really, but I prize having attended it as highly as the first AFL win vs Geelong in 1997. It was such a unique event.

Was there a 2-point thriller in 1997 at AAMI v Brisbane where Stephen Paxman made a spoil to stop a forward thrust as the siren went?

Also, as far as losses go - Ben Cousins kicking into Brayden Lyle on the mark, then getting the ball straight back as it bounced of Lyle to kick the winning goal, sticks in the memory.

Yeah, that was the win against Brisbane which got us the third win of our 4 game win streak. Was when Paco went from `some Victorian' to `Port legend' in my book.

Was there a 2-point thriller in 1997 at AAMI v Brisbane where Stephen Paxman made a spoil to stop a forward thrust as the siren went?

Was with about 60 seconds left or so. Classic 2 on 1 with a Lions player on his own about 30 metres from goal. Packo trusted his gut and left his man to run the 30 metres and make the spoil and get the ball out of bounds. Saved the game. Incredible effort.

Also, as far as losses go - Ben Cousins kicking into Brayden Lyle on the mark, then getting the ball straight back as it bounced of Lyle to kick the winning goal, sticks in the memory.

This game ranks alongside the Essendon match from last year as the two matches where I have considered Port to have been completely cheated of the win. In fact the umpiring in this match was much worse than the Essendon game.

Also home to Donald Dickie giving up the worst holding the ball free kick ill ever witness.

Remove this Banner Ad

Classic Port Adelaide AFL Matches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back