Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

This is nonsense. We didn't just wear his contract we upgraded it!

Why do you think he wanted to sign with us instead of the dozen other clubs that got interested once a first was one the table? We were the only ones willing to commit to him and demonstrate our commitment by giving him 2 extra years on solid money.

Cheated salary cap

Apparently he’ll be earning south of 1 million a season soon enough. Say 1.2 - 1.3 million. With the salary cap increases. What would an oppo club cough up? Half?
Just can’t see Melbourne soaking up 6-700k a season for 6 years. Let alone throw in a first rounder.

Apparently clubs are willing to pay Harry Perryman more than that, so I would say yes. A guy like Yze would know him well and may think he can make it work. If he only had 3 years left there would be a lot of interest I think. The potential to backfire with this many years to go is a big risk.

I’m going to an assume you’re not an actual moron and genuinely respond to this: that’s not the point. The point is if his GC contract was the one he signed at Geelong then GC wouldn’t have had the pressing need to trade him, or pair a first round pick with him. Geelong didn’t have to wear the far less favourable high salary contract that GC had to trade. Geelong renegotiated something far more palatable, and collected a first round pick. It is a preposterous scenario that the AFL should be preventing from occurring. Along with renegotiating FA deals.

I would counter that not extending the boat was astute by his manager, as forcing GCS into a cap dump trade brought a lot more clubs to the table.

His manager doesn't care so much where he chooses to play, just that he gets the best group of options in front of him. Hawks and Essendon wouldn't have pretended to care about him without the pick and maybe offered him more.

He extends then his options are Geelong and probably that's it. Take the contract your given etc

Adelaide: Clayton Oliver, Tom Powell.
Melbourne: Pick 22
North Pick: 5

100% of Oliver's salary off the books for MFC.

Adelaide only pay 70% of Oliver's salary, brings it down to a manageable level.

North picks up the remaining 30% via assuming a big % of Powell's contract.

Last edited:

North picks up the remaining 30% via assuming a % of Powell's contract.
There is zero chance we get pick 5 for Powell even if we take up a bit of Oliver's contract

This won’t happen because Melbourne aren’t desperate to move Oliver’s money, but it isn’t a terrible suggestion.

so pick 22 and Tom Powell for pick 5.

+ $3m in cap space across the contract length.

Trust me, that will be seen as a relative bargain compared to what clubs will be forking out in 2 seasons to buy cap space.

The going rate for that amount of cap space will be a mid top 10 pick or multiple R1 picks.

TBH, the club most unlikely to do this deal of the three would be be North imo.

The 22 is from North.

I think some of you will be shocked at what big chunks of TPP space will demand when pick purchasing comes in, in the next few years.

I reckon the opposite will happen. Every club that could afford the salary wanted to do the Bowes deal but Bowes ultimately chose one club so Gold Coast had to do a deal with only Geelong.

If Gold Coast could've auctioned off salary cap space to anyone I reckon they would've only needed to give up pick 15 at most not pick 7.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

+ $3m in cap space across the contract length.

Trust me, that will be seen as a relative bargain compared to what clubs will be forking out in 2 seasons to buy cap space.

The going rate for that amount of cap space will be a mid top 10 pick or multiple R1 picks.

TBH, the club most unlikely to do this deal of the three would be be North imo.

so in your scenario, why wouldnt melbourne just paid north portion and take pick 5 themselves since melbourne dont have cap issues??

oh wait, cause tom powell to the crows, thats the deal breaker for the crows.

This won’t happen because Melbourne aren’t desperate to move Oliver’s money, but it isn’t a terrible suggestion.

The first sensible post on this page thus far.

If oliver is traded, melb has everything to lose. First they lose a decent player plus they have to pay huge money.

so in your scenario, why wouldnt melbourne just paid north portion and take pick 5 themselves since melbourne dont have cap issues??

oh wait, cause tom powell to the crows, thats the deal breaker for the crows.

Errr he just signed 2 year extension...we are not like collingwood who signed trelor then wanted him gone.

The first sensible post on this page thus far.

If oliver is traded, melb has everything to lose. First they lose a decent player plus they have to pay huge money.

I’m very much in the ‘trade him’ camp but unless we are getting something good back or we are moving his money to make room for someone else there is no point in doing it.

I’m very much in the ‘trade him’ camp but unless we are getting something good back or we are moving his money to make room for someone else there is no point in doing it.

Im afraid not because trading him with a huge salary and contract is a 'dump' type deal. So no, with players like oliver, you need have to manage him, keep him on the list and let him slowly recover.

A dud oliver can still be solid mid with lots of senior experience. Much like thomas at north, if oliver ain't playing for melb, he ain't playing at all for anyone.

The last thing you want is for opportunist clubs like geelong or essendon to swoop in to pick up oliver and give him a 'second' chance and he will be all grateful to the new club forgetting that the old club did all the work for him to get to this position.

no thanks

Yeah, no. Sell Oliver for Pick 22 or have an injury free pre-season and return to being one of the best mids in the game for another 4 years.

You North chaps sure do love your draft picks

Oliver is a one-trick pony, he can pick the ball up and throw it to a teammate, or hang off a bloke in stoppage in order to create another stoppage. That's it.

When you're not getting pinged for incorrect disposal (which he should get done for >50% of his contest handballs) and the ball finds its way to Hibberd, Hunt, Brayshaw, Lewis and Langdon (before he forgot how to kick) there's some value in a player like Oliver, but when he gets the ball and roosts it 50 metres to a contest which invariably results in a turnover, not so much.

If 'hospital handball' and 'selling teammate up the river' were stats, he'd hold the record until the end of time.

But if you want an overrated player who can't handle his drugs, loves to flop, can't get out of second gear and just jogs from stoppage to stoppage and hits the scoreboard less than Brad Couch, he could be your guy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back