Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver is a one-trick pony, he can pick the ball up and throw it to a teammate, or hang off a bloke in stoppage in order to create another stoppage. That's it.

When you're not getting pinged for incorrect disposal (which he should get done for >50% of his contest handballs) and the ball finds its way to Hibberd, Hunt, Brayshaw, Lewis and Langdon (before he forgot how to kick) there's some value in a player like Oliver, but when he gets the ball and roosts it 50 metres to a contest which invariably results in a turnover, not so much.

If 'hospital handball' and 'selling teammate up the river' were stats, he'd hold the record until the end of time.

But if you want an overrated player who can't handle his drugs, loves to flop, can't get out of second gear and just jogs from stoppage to stoppage and hits the scoreboard less than Brad Couch, he could be your guy.
Not a fan?

Oliver is a one-trick pony, he can pick the ball up and throw it to a teammate, or hang off a bloke in stoppage in order to create another stoppage. That's it.

When you're not getting pinged for incorrect disposal (which he should get done for >50% of his contest handballs) and the ball finds its way to Hibberd, Hunt, Brayshaw, Lewis and Langdon (before he forgot how to kick) there's some value in a player like Oliver, but when he gets the ball and roosts it 50 metres to a contest which invariably results in a turnover, not so much.

If 'hospital handball' and 'selling teammate up the river' were stats, he'd hold the record until the end of time.

But if you want an overrated player who can't handle his drugs, loves to flop, can't get out of second gear and just jogs from stoppage to stoppage and hits the scoreboard less than Brad Couch, he could be your guy.
A Geelong supporter criticising a player for flopping. Now I've heard it all :)

Really don't get why Melbourne are still playing him, he really should be on ice for the rest of the year. Sign that they don't want to keep him?
This is where the problems start.

In seriousness though, the best thing for Clayton is the consistency of the week to week nature of footy. It’s the offseason that’s problematic.

Historys says Geelong and their culture could fix him but after Jack Stevens and Tyson Stengle - probably not really relevant anymore.

That being said, think he'd be a perfect fit on field at the Pies. Would take the Mitchell role from last year, but would cost too much.

Only way that makes sense would be to gain a top end draft pick to supplement his full wage, pies have some F/S's coming up that the extra pick may be helpful for.

Historys says Geelong and their culture could fix him but after Jack Stevens and Tyson Stengle - probably not really relevant anymore.

That being said, think he'd be a perfect fit on field at the Pies. Would take the Mitchell role from last year, but would cost too much.

Only way that makes sense would be to gain a top end draft pick to supplement his full wage, pies have some F/S's coming up that the extra pick may be helpful for.
Aren't you guys still paying Treloar and Grundy?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people expecting much out of Oliver this year have probably never played any sort of sport at any elite level. Doing no pre-season and being about 10kg overweight all season was never going to bode well but people just expect him to be super human based on previous seasons..

we'll keep him and he'll return to being top 5 in the league IF he wants to. And that's a massive IF

people expecting much out of Oliver this year have probably never played any sort of sport at any elite level. Doing no pre-season and being about 10kg overweight all season was never going to bode well but people just expect him to be super human based on previous seasons..

we'll keep him and he'll return to being top 5 in the league IF he wants to. And that's a massive IF
No preseason he’s played every game so far this year, 5 months of footy that’s a stupid excuse

Hi Dan, thanks for the insight, are you a professional athlete who does a preseason cycle by any chance?

In 2023 the Cats had a bad preseason with surgeries post flag year and very few players fit by January. For context Lingy, who was a professional athlete, went into detail on the club podcast about his experiences with preseason fitness. He said that the highs of preseason fitness wear off by about round 7/8ish and that high fitness level normalises against the players who have had no preseason but built match fitness.

Obviously it was a great cause for concern amongst cats fans given our situation at the time and so he took great care to get across thr full detail. I'm happy to go find it if you want.

Hi Dan, thanks for the insight, are you a professional athlete who does a preseason cycle by any chance?

In 2023 the Cats had a bad preseason with surgeries post flag year and very few players fit by January. For context Lingy, who was a professional athlete, went into detail on the club podcast about his experiences with preseason fitness. He said that the highs of preseason fitness wear off by about round 7/8ish and that high fitness level normalises against the players who have had no preseason but built match fitness.

Obviously it was a great cause for concern amongst cats fans given our situation at the time and so he took great care to get across thr full detail. I'm happy to go find it if you want.
He’s an elite E-Gamer. Don’t question his cred !

Yeah but look at Oliver, he's still carrying excess weight. So he's clearly not eating the right foods or drinking and stuff. Not to mention his hand injury which he's still hampered by.

I would agree with Lingy but in thus case Oliver hasn't lost the additional weight needed to compete. And that's probably due to his own professional standards.

Would Melbourne take Harry Morrison for Clay Clay?

Yeah but look at Oliver, he's still carrying excess weight. So he's clearly not eating the right foods or drinking and stuff. Not to mention his hand injury which he's still hampered by.

I would agree with Lingy but in thus case Oliver hasn't lost the additional weight needed to compete. And that's probably due to his own professional standards.
Yeah but it's August. You can't blame lack of preseason for excess weight after nearly 6 month of professional sport

Yeah I blame him for the first 12 weeks. When I first saw him day 1 of pre-season I thought 'he ain't playing before the byes'. The weeks after that is on Oliver's own professional standards imo.
He's been playing and training. I'm guessing there is something other than application driving it

Yes but what is going to make his standards improve next year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back