Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been playing and training. I'm guessing there is something other than application driving it
If he's not eating properly (I.e in a caloric surplus) it doesn't matter how much he trains. Professional environment or not.

You can train all day. If you're picking up a zinger box or two and a 6 pack on your way home then it's useless.

people expecting much out of Oliver this year have probably never played any sort of sport at any elite level. Doing no pre-season and being about 10kg overweight all season was never going to bode well but people just expect him to be super human based on previous seasons..

we'll keep him and he'll return to being top 5 in the league IF he wants to. And that's a massive IF
Didn't he win a BnF a few years ago coming off a double shoulder reco and basically no pre season? :think:

🤔
yeah..and? The article says nothing about not being able to run etc. Oliver had done NO pre-season. The article you sent he'd done limited pre-season without the contact. Oliver came back extremely late into the pre-season program and he grossly overweight. Probably 100-105kg. He has never looked this way in his career. Certainly not in the year where he had 2 shoulders. During this time he was probably elite on the track.

Clarry from pre season 2 up until last pre season was an elite preparer. He did all the extras on top of what was required. You don’t get to be a 4 x best and fairest and 3 AA just due to your ability. He was in extremely poor shape around the Xmas and new year period. In reality should have done a mini pre season and not played until closer to round 8. He has worked extremely hard to get into shape to play. But once you’re playing not not really doing the conditioning work. It’s more recovery. Add to that his busted hand and it’s a nightmare.
I’ll be giving him the benefit of a full pre season to judge where he’s at. Not sure if he’ll get back to his absolute best but all reports are he has turned the corner with his issues and he and the club are on good terms.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until he got injured mid season last year he was on track for a 4th AA and possible 5th b&f

I'm happy to back him to have a good off season and get back to his elite level

Dees giving Clarry an extra two weeks to have some more off season "fun" plus he's got five weeks extra for no finals.

Should have a great time and return to training in some kinda shape, just not sure what that shape will be LOL

Clarry from pre season 2 up until last pre season was an elite preparer. He did all the extras on top of what was required. You don’t get to be a 4 x best and fairest and 3 AA just due to your ability. He was in extremely poor shape around the Xmas and new year period. In reality should have done a mini pre season and not played until closer to round 8. He has worked extremely hard to get into shape to play. But once you’re playing not not really doing the conditioning work. It’s more recovery. Add to that his busted hand and it’s a nightmare.
I’ll be giving him the benefit of a full pre season to judge where he’s at. Not sure if he’ll get back to his absolute best but all reports are he has turned the corner with his issues and he and the club are on good terms.

100% this.

He's got this pre-season to return to the player he was.

It's damn near impossible to play catch-up within season from how far back he was coming from.

If he can't sort it out heading into 2025 then it might be a Dale Thomas like conclusion to his career. He'll play average footy at another club for 5 years and everybody will forget how good he was in his prime.

A Geelong supporter criticising a player for flopping. Now I've heard it all :)
I think it's fair to say Oliver, ANB, JVR, Fritsch, May, Petty, Spargo (who knocked himself out ducking for frees), Kosi (who grabs opposition arms making it look like he's being held) have pretty much everyone covered on the staging front.

If the Hawks & Lions had an illegitimate diving kid, it'd defo be Melbourne.

As for Oliver, his kicking sucks and that doesn't even include the 'effective' bombs which exceed 40 metres and pretty much always ends up a turnover.

He's also a massive cancer, ripping the club apart, but hey he was good for consistent SuperCoach scores, so he must be as great as the media have you believe.

Remove this Banner Ad

Speculation Clayton Oliver [UFA 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back