Rumour Clayton Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Weird comment.

I don't think there would be any club at the moment that would like him casually strolling through their door.

Until he sorts his s**t out he's a cancer to any club. You only need to look at what Cousins did to WCE to see that.

But hey, he can find the pill though.
2 time afl coaches award winner you're talking to. Best contested ball winner of all time. if by finding the pill you mean winning contested ball and clearances then sure, he def can find it.

To me the specifics don’t matter be it, depression, anxiety, addiction, a combination of these or any other of the other possible diagnosis

Yes mental health can cover any number of specific diagnoses but to claim because you don’t know that specific diagnoses means you can’t have a legitimate discussion is a cop out

& his actions/ seemingly self destructive behaviour are obviously a symptom of the larger issues he is facing, no one is claiming he hasn’t got support nor is it any of our responsibility to fix it

But like I said in the post earlier some of the posts in this thread just keeps the stigma about mental health struggles alive and could potentially make someone else who is struggling not speak out or seek help
I find it insulting to lump all mental illnesses in together actually. I also find it stigmatising to suggest that whenever anyone fks up, it is due to a mental illness.

Plenty of people live with mental illness and they don't go around doing what Oliver has done & they certainly don't all use mental illness as an excuse for poor behaviour.

The fact is, Oliver DOES have access to support & help. It's up to him to use it.

2 time afl coaches award winner you're talking to. Best contested ball winner of all time. if by finding the pill you mean winning contested ball and clearances then sure, he def can find it.
No one is questioning his footballing ability son. Relax. Oliver isn't exempt from criticism when he continually ****s up, just like every other player isn't. Don't take it personally.

Relevance? Oliver is obviously a star, one of the best in the comp, I don't think that's up for the debate at all.

That doesn't mean elements of his behaviour is beyond criticism (such as driving on a suspended license). Nor does it mean he isn't clearly going through a very difficult personal period, for which you'd hope for the same level of empathy from the public as anyone in a similar circumstance, footballing ability aside.

I find it insulting to lump all mental illnesses in together actually. I also find it stigmatising to suggest that whenever anyone fks up, it is due to a mental illness.

Plenty of people live with mental illness and they don't go around doing what Oliver has done & they certainly don't all use mental illness as an excuse for poor behaviour.
Yes you are right, the majority of people who struggle with mental illness are fine for the most part and you wouldn’t even know they have struggles , but plenty of people do as well

& given that the club has literally said

Oliver is taking time away to “Clayton is taking a break as he continues to deal with some issues. We are continuing to support Clayton and managing his program in a way that prioritises his health and wellbeing”

The fact you implied is just an excuse for bad behaviour just further stigmatises mental health discussions especially for people who might be engaging in similar types of self destructive behaviour

It’s pretty telling that you feel the need to justify yourself

Relevance? Oliver is obviously a star, one of the best in the comp, I don't think that's up for the debate at all.

That doesn't mean elements of his behaviour is beyond criticism (such as driving on a suspended license). Nor does it mean he isn't clearly going through a very difficult personal period, for which you'd hope for the same level of empathy from the public as anyone in a similar circumstance, footballing ability aside.
there's a difference between criticising and making fun of someone's situation.

Justifying myself? By replying to your comment to me?

People that know nothing about mental illness probably shouldn't be talking about mental illness.

And people probably shouldn't be assuming that Oliver's issues are all due to a mental illness which has not yet been revealed.

I haven't used any mental illness as an excuse for his poor behaviour. Some defending on here have though.

He's said he has ADHD is taking medication for it. He's said he has seizures & his licence was suspended for it.

Talk about those if you are qualified or have the experience.
Why are you so obsessed with Clayton Oliver?

He was irate?
Just kidding.
I don't think people understand what certain brain configurations do to your outlook and how you manage yourself to stimulus. Someone with autism will freak out, for example, and just go off when they hear a noise, or feel crowded, or whatever. I'm not saying that's Oliver, just it's not something you just say 'no', and it's gone. It takes a lot of training and work, just to pass as normal or not do stupid s**t. That generalizes to other developmental issues.
Good example. I think you're on the money there.

Look, two things can be true.

We can judge him to be an absolute turkey and condemn his behavior, but also wish him well in recovery.

Pretty embarassing that other clubs are laying the boots into the guy with some serious issues going on. Don't forget that Clarry would casually stroll into all of your clubs and win your BnF each and every year, outside maybe pies with Daicos.

Don't forget that Ben Cousins won a Brownlow and Premiership medal, multiple best n fairest while we are at it.

On a side note Cousins got way more then Clarry is getting. What does anyone expect. He has had multiple off field incidents. Every incident is going to bring unwanted attention. Being in the public eye and all comes with being an AFL player

Last edited:
The hypocrisy of footy fans never ceases to amaze

Will defend anyone for just about anything if they play for the club they support but will line up to celebrate and sink in the boots for any player who plays for another club and the more high profile the player the more people seem to celebrate the downfall

I just find the whole Oliver situation sad, probably one of if not the best mids in the comp when up and about but obviously struggling with some pretty complex off field issues

Just hope he has some decent support in his corner and he can sort out his issues
Would be a shame for the game to see this be the end of him
Oliver is one of the best contested mids ever. It would be an absolute waste if he was lost to the game and if it was because of mental health or spectrum issues it would be a bigger waste.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird comment.

I don't think there would be any club at the moment that would like him casually strolling through their door.

Until he sorts his s**t out he's a cancer to any club. You only need to look at what Cousins did to WCE to see that.

But hey, he can find the pill though.
Of course another perspective is that WC's failure to provide proper support to Cousins and a sane culture is why his life went off the rails and such a talented side only won one flag.

Justifying myself? By replying to your comment to me?

People that know nothing about mental illness probably shouldn't be talking about mental illness.

And people probably shouldn't be assuming that Oliver's issues are all due to a mental illness which has not yet been revealed.

I haven't used any mental illness as an excuse for his poor behaviour. Some defending on here have though.

He's said he has ADHD & is taking medication for it. He's said he has seizures & his licence was suspended for it.

Talk about those if you are qualified or have the experience.
You responded to me with your first post that started our discussion, that was when you started to try and justify yourself

You also said “Plenty of people live with mental illness and they don't go around doing what Oliver has done & they certainly don't all use mental illness as an excuse for poor behaviour.”

Implying Oliver was using mental health as a justification for himself destructive behaviour

Just because Oliver has only spoken about the ADHD and seizures doesn’t mean that they are his only diagnosis either

It’s possible that other conditions have remained private due to the commentary of people dealing with similar issues in the past that are along the same lines as some of the stuff written in this thread or they are simply undiagnosed

Pretty embarassing that other clubs are laying the boots into the guy with some serious issues going on. Don't forget that Clarry would casually stroll into all of your clubs and win your BnF each and every year, outside maybe pies with Daicos.
No he definitely wouldn't, he only managed to play 13 H&A games last season for whatever reason.

And this has just added to it. 👏 And still no mention of the Big O.
Oliver allegedly has ADHD.

The most common medications for that condition are stimulants and people with it often self medicate (at all sorts of ****ed up doses) because they are exposed to illegal stimulants and get some "relief" from their condition. It seems that quite often people diagnosed with ADHD have other spectrum issues, often undiagnosed that are exacerbated by stimulants. IE their medication might make things easier in some ways and more difficult in others and may make some of their behaviours worse.

Oliver may be taking medication to manage seizures as well now and that may further complicate the situation. I have seen people on seizure medication have less concern with how their behaviour is perceived by others. IE The social controls we learn that help moderate our behaviour (and which might already be less effective in someone with ADHD, even less effective in someone with ADHD/other spectrum issues) can be impeded by seizure medication.

At no time have you taken this into account. All you've said is wtte of "other people have problems too and they don't act like campaigners!" while ignoring the fact that while this may be true its equally true that some other people with those issues are unable to manage their behaviour because of them.

Everyone responding to that Fudd guy are feeding a troll.
that's all folks profile GIF

Metal knives in toasters, alfoil in microwaves, old pizza boxes in recycling. Cmon mate spill
Pizza boxes are fine, as long as there’s no food scraps in them.

Yeah disagree but thats fine.

Don't think there was much gentle about him having to do an interview in the middle of the street when he clearly wasn't in a great headspace.

And the fact they got about 3 days mileage out of him in trade week because there was nothing else happening.

I get it's a big story, but the bloke is clearly in trouble mentally, so there needs to be some respect.

I'm talking about the incidents over the past few weeks. The driving whilst suspended (and off his head) and the going home from camp early story.

The media are taking it very easily now, whether you believe that or not is your call.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Clayton Oliver

Remove this Banner Ad

Back