Club member tallies @ Christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The figures are basically great all round. OK we all know that there are many thousands of cut price "membership lite" packages in there but be that as it may the figures are great.

The interesting day is soon to arrive...When Collingwood ( they'll doubtless be first ) has to start putting limits and restrictions of 3/4 game memberships ( whatever their version is )...

The MCG only holds ~60,000 people ( after taking out MCC/AFL members )...If Collingwood has 65,000 ticketed members, where will they all go? Are members to be turned away? Will 3/4 game members be told they can't come to certain 'big' home games?

What about other clubs members who have 16/17 game packages...Are they going to have to start cutting them back?

In 10 years, I can see the larger Vic teams adopting the WCE model...All members seats are ticketed, there are a few 'spare' for opposition/walk ups, and a waiting list. ( doubtless the future incarnations of this thread will be on the length of wating lists. )

The interesting day is soon to arrive...When Collingwood ( they'll doubtless be first ) has to start putting limits and restrictions of 3/4 game memberships ( whatever their version is )...

The MCG only holds ~60,000 people ( after taking out MCC/AFL members )...If Collingwood has 65,000 ticketed members, where will they all go? Are members to be turned away? Will 3/4 game members be told they can't come to certain 'big' home games?

Collingwood has around 12,000 AFL members as part of there membership figure so would need to get at least 75,000 members to get in this situation. At the rate that they've increased over the past 2 years in all likelihood by 2013 your scenario could actually come to pass.

A possible solution for the club is to release different 3/4 game packages eg: A budget package which allows access to Collingwood home games against Western Bulldogs, North Melbourne, Melbourne and interstate teams and a deluxe package that gives you access to home games against Carlton, Essendon, Richmond, Geelong, St Kilda or Hawthorn. The club may already do this but I'm not 100% sure on the membership packages available because I've been an AFL member for 15 years.

100% of a club's members would never show up to the same game. So even if Collingwood did outgrow the non-MCC and non-AFL capacity of the ground, it's unlikely to be a problem.

What about other clubs members who have 16/17 game packages...Are they going to have to start cutting them back?

In 10 years, I can see the larger Vic teams adopting the WCE model...All members seats are ticketed, there are a few 'spare' for opposition/walk ups, and a waiting list. ( doubtless the future incarnations of this thread will be on the length of wating lists. )

A large number of Collingwood 3-game members would also be MCC members (Collingwood have the 2nd highest number of MCC members behind Melbourne). Gives them access to the Etihad home games. Not a problem for games at MCG.

Never thought id see the day we would break 40,000 by Xmas ( near enough)....:eek: Either way you look at it , its hard to believe that 15 odd years ago we where on the brink of extinction and now we are a true power .....:thumbsu: Hats off to Dicker and Scott......
And Piggy, Dash. ;)

100% of a club's members would never show up to the same game. So even if Collingwood did outgrow the non-MCC and non-AFL capacity of the ground, it's unlikely to be a problem.

If the ground is all reserved seats, then you won't know which members aren't going to show and consequently can't let people sit in those seats. That's the problem at Subi and AAMI where sold out games can get up to 10,000 (or more if the team and/or weather is really shit) below capacity.

Well that's a pretty bold claim considering you can't even fill Subiaco every second week.

Your members, a bit like Port, just don't rock up when times are tough.

In fact how many times did the Eagles even surpass 40k at Subi this year? Once? Twice?

Weren't all the games sell outs though? That would have prevented some from coming.

Having said that, filling 80,000 is getting a bit carried away. Perhaps at a derby...

Hawthorn site also claims more than 6000 tasmanian members. Not a bad haul at all for such a small state and not far behind the Gold Coast at all. I may laugh if they beat GWS for raw numbers next year.

GWS already have more than 7000 foundation members which isn't a bad effort.

GWS already have more than 7000 foundation members which isn't a bad effort.

That's incredible seeing as though the Suns only got 10,000 foundation members, and it took them until October to get that. And they're looking at over 15k+ members this year.

Although the GWS foundation membership packages are great value. I think they're $50 which gets you all sorts of stuff plus a $50 credit for membership in 2012.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's incredible seeing as though the Suns only got 10,000 foundation members, and it took them until October to get that. And they're looking at over 15k+ members this year.

Although the GWS foundation membership packages are great value. I think they're $50 which gets you all sorts of stuff plus a $50 credit for membership in 2012.

Suns did the same thing with their foundation packages I believe. GWS members would include the ACT members at this stage i believe.

Either way, its good for the code in NSW and QLD.

Yep, 50 bucks for a single membership.

I've just purchased a family membership for $100, which covers two adults and two kids, plus you can add extras for $10 each.

The total includes the ACT members, but they've done no advertising that I've seen in Sydney, so the locals who have signed up are on the back of the name and jumper launch.

It's a start anyway.

Membership Tallies - Jan 17th (from smallest to largest)
Taken from Club websites at 1.30pm (unconfirmed merely indicates numbers posted in this thread, but not on club websites).

Gold Coast - 9,754 (+1454)
Brisbane - 14,182 (+1420)
Nth melbourne - 14,553 (+1315)
Sydney - 15,500 (unconfirmed)
Port Adelaide - 16,501 (+1924)
Western Bulldogs - 19,344 (+2970)
St Kilda - 21,075 (+0)
Melbourne - 22,044 (+1433)
Carlton - 22,060 (+4971)
Richmond - 24,922 (+2482)
Essendon - 32,601 (+2466)
Hawthorn - 40,527 (+1299)
Collingwood - 43,591 (+2909)
West Coast - 44,592 (unconfirmed)

Fremantle - not posted
Geelong - not posted
Adelaide - waiting list

The big movers since last time are Carlton, up nearly 5000. On reported figures the Saints are the slowest moving at the moment, but assuming its just some lazy updating, the Hawks are bringing up the rear.
There are reports that the Suns are already up over the 10k mark which puts them ahead of the Titans, for those who are interested.

Original post below for comparison

Membership Tallies - Christmas 2010 (from smalest to largest)
Taken from Club websites at 4pm today

Gold Coast - 8300
Brisbane - 12762
Nth melbourne - 13218
Port Adelaide - 14577
Western Bulldogs - 16374
Carlton - 17089
Melbourne - 20611
St Kilda - 21075
Richmond - 22440
Essendon - 30135
Hawthorn - 39228
Collingwood - 40682

Fremantle - not posted
Geelong - not posted
Sydney - not posted
Adelaide - waiting list
West Coast - waiting list

Membership Tallies - Jan 17th (from smallest to largest)
Taken from Club websites at 1.30pm (unconfirmed merely indicates numbers posted in this thread, but not on club websites).

Carlton FC email had membership number over 23,000 last week. So Blues looking to be more than 6,000 up on this time last season. Should get 50k.

Geelong's tally at 17th Jan - 22,813 (although the graphic on the club website with that figure has not been updated for over a week now)

More up to date list :cool:

Gold Coast - 9,754
Brisbane - 14,182
Nth melbourne - 14,553
Sydney - 15,500 (unconfirmed)
Port Adelaide - 16,501
Western Bulldogs - 19,344
Melbourne - 22,044
Carlton - 22,060
Geelong - 22,813
Richmond - 24,922
St Kilda - 26,724
Essendon - 32,601
Hawthorn - 40,527
Collingwood - 43,591
West Coast - 44,592 (unconfirmed)

Fremantle - not posted
Adelaide - waiting list

Freo will be waiting list this year by cut off date, if not earlier, only crap seats available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back