Club member tallies @ Christmas

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon you may have inflated Essendon, Richmond and Carlton's a tad. Hawthorn and Collingwood seem about right, maybe Saints a bit high as well.

I think he's inflated Carlton a bit. 43,000 more realistic as a forecast than 47,000. They didn't set the world alight last year and no one seriously expects them to this year.

He could be right abut 55,000 for Essendon. The Bombers have a massive fanbase as yet untapped by the surge in membership sales in recent years because they have been languishing near the bsement. Clearly the Hird effect accounts for several thousand sales and that allied to a good pre season and early rounds could easily see them go into the mid 50s. If the Bombers had some real form the sky is the limit.

Pretty much the same applies at Tigerland. Richmond are ahead of the curve of 2009 when they sold 47,000 with the Cuz bounce. ( yes we all know they were not all audited but they were all sold for real hard dollars ) A decent pre season and a win V Carlton R1 if it happened could quite easily open as yet untapped support. 50,000 is gettable. High 40s a certainty. Once again a run of real form early rounds and anything is possible.

I think he's inflated Carlton a bit. 43,000 more realistic as a forecast than 47,000. They didn't set the world alight last year and no one seriously expects them to this year.

He could be right abut 55,000 for Essendon. The Bombers have a massive fanbase as yet untapped by the surge in membership sales in recent years because they have been languishing near the bsement. Clearly the Hird effect accounts for several thousand sales and that allied to a good pre season and early rounds could easily see them go into the mid 50s. If the Bombers had some real form the sky is the limit.

Pretty much the same applies at Tigerland. Richmond are ahead of the curve of 2009 when they sold 47,000 with the Cuz bounce. ( yes we all know they were not all audited but they were all sold for real hard dollars ) A decent pre season and a win V Carlton R1 if it happened could quite easily open as yet untapped support. 50,000 is gettable. High 40s a certainty. Once again a run of real form early rounds and anything is possible.

Ok ok, you got me.

Suns official total up over 10,000. Sterling effort for the new club.

Email I received from GWS last week said that they had sold over 1000 foundation memberships in the previous two weeks. Similar email received pre Christmas said that they had almost 7000 in total to that stage.

Can't find an updated total as such, but indications are that they have more than 8000 from that info.

Membership Numbers from Official Club Information (mainly websites) ast at Saturday, Jan 29th, 9.30am.

West Sydney - 8,000 (foundation)
Gold Coast - 10,047
Brisbane - 14,693
Nth melb - 15,621
Sydney - 18,000 (from news article)
WBulldogs - 20,827
Port Adel - 21,509
Melbourne - 22,910
Geelong - 24,341 (unchanged on site)
Carlton - 25,017
Richmond - 27,141
St Kilda - 27,242
Essendon - 34,2817
Hawthorn - 41,293 (membership page 404'd)
Wst Coast - 44,592 (unconfirmed)
Coll'wood - 50,042

Fremantle - not posted
Adelaide - waiting list

8000 foundation members for west Sydney, that's a better start than we got!

Well given the Suns hit 10k foundationers in September, and the West Sydney guys have another year to go, it doesnt look too bad indeed - bearing in mind that 4000 of those are ACT based.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where did you get your numbers for the Giants. I had a seasrch myself but couldn't find them...

There's nothing on the website, but a pre-Christmas email from the club said that they had almost 7000, and a further email last week said that they had signed over 1000 in the previous two weeks.

The ACT figure would be more like 5000 from what I can gather.

Bear in mind as well that I have seen absolutely no advertising for their memberships in Sydney.

Also worth noting that the latest NRL membership figures that I've seen indicate that only six clubs have more than 8000 members so far. People talk about the cultural aspect, but Sydneysiders have had the importance of memberships rammed down their throats for the last three years, so it's quickly becoming a poor excuse.

Promising signs anyway.

There's nothing on the website, but a pre-Christmas email from the club said that they had almost 7000, and a further email last week said that they had signed over 1000 in the previous two weeks.

The ACT figure would be more like 5000 from what I can gather.

Bear in mind as well that I have seen absolutely no advertising for their memberships in Sydney.

Also worth noting that the latest NRL membership figures that I've seen indicate that only six clubs have more than 8000 members so far. People talk about the cultural aspect, but Sydneysiders have had the importance of memberships rammed down their throats for the last three years, so it's quickly becoming a poor excuse.

You honestly expect NRL membership numbers to be pretty high under three years, I'm sure when AFL introduced memberhship way back it wasn't the numbers it was today that's for sure but it grew over time. Here's a example: Collingwood 1984:16,313
2010:57,617
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingwood_Football_Club#Membership

To expect the NRL to have high numbers off the bat is a bit unrealistic considering the AFL along time ago had low member numbers when starting membership in it's early years.

Membership Numbers from Official Club Information (mainly websites) ast at Saturday, Jan 29th, 9.30am.

Coll'wood - 50,042

Collingwood's figures are AMAZING - I assummed that their target of 70,000 was a pipe dream but these figures seem to indicate that they are well on track - well done pie members/supporters.

Collingwood's figures are AMAZING - I assummed that their target of 70,000 was a pipe dream but these figures seem to indicate that they are well on track - well done pie members/supporters.
There should probably be a cap, that's already dome capacity and half the 'g. Hard for members soon to actually get to a game.

Anyone think Essendon's are low considering the media flood they've been pushing?

You honestly expect NRL membership numbers to be pretty high under three years, I'm sure when AFL introduced memberhship way back it wasn't the numbers it was today that's for sure but it grew over time. Here's a example: Collingwood 1984:16,313
2010:57,617
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collingwood_Football_Club#Membership

To expect the NRL to have high numbers off the bat is a bit unrealistic considering the AFL along time ago had low member numbers when starting membership in it's early years.

Not really a fair analogy, the AFL only started pushing the importance of memberships in the mid 90's, and if you look at the figures from around that time, there'd be some pretty hefty rises. The NRL have run major advertising campaigns for the last three years, and they've been selling the message pretty hard about how important the concept is.

The last time I looked, Penrith, a club in league heartland, had 4000 members, which makes GWS look pretty good given they're not in the AFL for twelve months.

There should probably be a cap, that's already dome capacity and half the 'g. Hard for members soon to actually get to a game.

Anyone think Essendon's are low considering the media flood they've been pushing?

Most clubs would kill for that 'problem'.

Dont know how feasible it would be, but it could be time for the pies to build their own stadium. They would pack it each week and if Geelong can make a fortune each week from 25,000 fans, imagine what the pies could do !

To answer your question, the bombers would be disappointed after all the publicity they have had, but ours is crap too. I know we sign up late as a rule, but compared to lots of other clubs, ours is shit !

Most clubs would kill for that 'problem'.

Dont know how feasible it would be, but it could be time for the pies to build their own stadium. They would pack it each week and if Geelong can make a fortune each week from 25,000 fans, imagine what the pies could do !

To answer your question, the bombers would be disappointed after all the publicity they have had, but ours is crap too. I know we sign up late as a rule, but compared to lots of other clubs, ours is shit !

A different membership culture at Carlton which sees a significant proportion of memberships purchased in February & March each year. We are almost 5k up on the same time last year, but we have only had automatic renewals for a couple of seasons & I don't believe our members have embraced this system in reasonable numbers yet.

Not sure why Freo hasn't publicly announced any official membership numbers as yet, but I did read this article from late Nov '10 stating we are on track for 43000+ (breaking our 2007 record)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/8415911/docker-membership-juggernaut-grows/

"We are tracking ahead of our record-breaking year of 2007 at this stage. We are hoping to end up with more than the 40,000 members we had last year and at this stage we are tracking towards the record-breaking year of 2007, which saw us with 43,000 members when we did sell out of reserved seat memberships."

Put us down for 40k unnofficially.

Our membership team in the WA office must still be proccessing memberships or having set backs with this new branding; I still haven't recieved mine as yet and I sent my renewal paperwork back in Nov! My workmate (Colingwood Member) got his by Christmas... Figure that one out!:confused:

lol. Never happen.

They may cap certain memberships but if the dollars* keep rolling in they'll happily accept it.

*members

I was thinking they were getting everyone on board early with the past members all signed on straight up and plenty of new members which would explain getting 50,000+ so quickly, but today I get an email from the club which claims that more than 20,000 members from last year have yet to re-sign!!! 70 could become 80 at this rate.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back