Club Song Review

What would you like to be done about the club song?

• Nothing. Keep the song!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Re-work the music

• Re-work the lyrics

• We need a new song.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

bfff

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Given that it has been mentioned that the club song will be reviewed this year I thought we could have a little poll to canvas peoples opinions directly.

Where I sit at the games there are a lot of people that don't sing the song so I'm assuming there are a number of supporters that don't like it. I love to sing it and don't want it changed. If it has to be changed I would prefer that just the music was re-worked and the lyrics remain the same.

Given that it has been mentioned that the club song will be reviewed this year I thought we could have a little poll to canvas peoples opinions directly.

Where I sit at the games there are a lot of people that don't sing the song so I'm assuming there are a number of supporters that don't like it. I love to sing it and don't want it changed. If it has to be changed I would prefer that just the music was re-worked and the lyrics remain the same.

Is that you Steve? Don't you think you should be sending all the members a voting slip rather than doing it this way?

To change the song after so many changes may be a step too far. So I want the song to stay. Besides my little two year old loves the song and given that he lived in Melbourne for most of his life this was no easy task.

I have loved it since I first heard it live in when Freo beat Melbourne at the G in 2003 (before this time I wasn't that much into footy).

Okay, so some supporters like the song, some don't. But what about the players? Don't they deserve something nice to belt out after winning a game rather than just those two same old woeful lines?

EDIT: Something like the Brisbane or Adelaide songs would make me happy. Don't sound too old but still good footy songs.

I like the song, despite popular opinion I think it's one of the better songs in the league and definately funner to sing than the generic brass band anthems other clubs have.

The players look kind of awkward when they sing it though. I'd rather they do a part of the verse and the chorus rather than just singing the chorus twice.

I'd be open to a change of song, but I doubt there'll be a suggestion that is both good and catchy and represents Freo like "Heave Ho" does.

I like the song, despite popular opinion I think it's one of the better songs in the league and definately funner to sing than the generic brass band anthems other clubs have.

The players look kind of awkward when they sing it though. I'd rather they do a part of the verse and the chorus rather than just singing the chorus twice.

I'd be open to a change of song, but I doubt there'll be a suggestion that is both good and catchy and represents Freo like "Heave Ho" does.

This. :thumbsu:

Keep the song, change the way the players sing it.

Should change it to TNT by AC/DC like they do at the end of a game (FRE-MAN-TLE)

Should change it to TNT by AC/DC like they do at the end of a game (FRE-MAN-TLE)

but then we would need something different to sing at the end... i like tnt as it is, but maybe another AC/DC song?

I actually think it is one of the worst songs in the league, (suns is worse) but i vote to keep it, as, while it is bad, i have sung it loud after our wins and am attached to it now.

if the players dont like it, then should we change it? do the players play for the club, or the club support the players?

Yes, this is an excellent idea. It would feel good to sing the "Freo heave Ho, give em all the old Freo heave ho!" bit and then the chorus.

I voted rework the music, not to change the melody but to get rid of some of the awful 80's aspects of the production.
Agree that it is an excellent anthem and different from others. I love singing it.

What part of the verse would you like them to sing?

I agree about the "heave ho" it is the best part of the song.

How about this for the players:

Freo heave ho (sung as in the second chorus)
Freo heave ho (ditto)
Chorus (no repeat)

It would be good to hear some suggestions from the people who say they want the song changed.

Yes, this is an excellent idea. It would feel good to sing the "Freo heave Ho, give em all the old Freo heave ho!" bit and then the chorus.

I voted rework the music, not to change the melody but to get rid of some of the awful 80's aspects of the production.
Agree that it is an excellent anthem and different from others. I love singing it.

That's a good idea especially for the players.

I think they used to sing the Freo Heave Ho bit, but changed it relatively recently to just the chorus twice. (I agree this is dumb). I think the reason they originally started doing it this way is that the Freo Heave Ho bit was a bit slow and weird for a footy team to sing? Does anyone remember when they started doing this and the reasons given?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's 50/50 for me, when we were all talking about the changes (before anything was announced) I was all for dumping the Docker term completely and that would of needed a new club song but now the clubs gone the other way making Dockers official again I'm happy enough to keep the song. Like others have said maybe just some tweaking.

I'd certainly be willing to listen to alternatives I just don't have any faith that what would be selected will be worth breaking the tradition of our current song.

I'm also a bit on the fence with this one. I think the song sounds great when played with the full backing music after a game. I do think though that without the music and loud speakers (ie player huddle or supporters) it sounds pretty ordinary and is very difficult/awkward to sing. I lived in melbourne for a number of years, fortunately very close to the G, and I particularly remember after the 08 GF hearing all the hawks supporters walking to fed square singing the song. As much as it pains me to say, it sounded great and I remember thinking the freo song would never sound this good when supporters sing it. Nor do I think it would be sung as easily or as well, so fewer people would ultimately join in...

Like quokka, I would certainly entertain hearing some alternatives, but I think it would need to be pretty impressive to dump the current song in it's entirety.

My thoughts on the "rebrand" are well known (death be to the Steves!;)) but somewhat paradoxically, I couldn't really give a rats about the song.

Seeing as they've changed everything else in a shallow attempt to run away from our unsuccesful past (and avoid all that "derision from opposition fans") they may as well go the whole hog and change the song, too.

FWIW I reckon they could sing the curent song thusly:

We’re the rollers
We’re the rockers
We’re the mighty Freo Dockers!
We’re gonna roll ‘em and we’ll rock ‘em
We’re gonna send ‘em to the bottom
And if they get up, we’ll do again
The Dockers stop at nothing – nothing

Freo, way to go!
Hit ‘em real hard, send ‘em down below
Oh Freo, give ‘em the old heave ho
We are the Freo Dockers!

By inlcuding the first rollicking bit, the players get to do a long "weeeeeeeee're" as all the players get ready to join in. Most other clubs songs seem to have this sort of thing at the start.

We’re the rollers
We’re the rockers
We’re the mighty Freo Dockers!
We’re gonna roll ‘em and we’ll rock ‘em
We’re gonna send ‘em to the bottom
And if they get up, we’ll do again
The Dockers stop at nothing – nothing

Freo, way to go!
Hit ‘em real hard, send ‘em down below
Oh Freo, give ‘em the old heave ho
We are the Freo Dockers!

By inlcuding the first rollicking bit, the players get to do a long "weeeeeeeee're" as all the players get ready to join in. Most other clubs songs seem to have this sort of thing at the start.

:thumbsu: THIS.

I'm not a fan of change of song, but this idea of keeping the same lyrics but remixing them like this sounds good. They would also need to speed up the tempo of the song (it sounds to slow and needs to be a bit more 'punchier')

Good idea Nodgey.

Nah, it wouldn't work. It's gotta sound like it was written 100 years ago.

100 years ago? Maybe for the clubs with close to 100 year history:eek: *

With Gold Cost club song sounding like it was recorded by the Wiggles, i wonder if Justin Bieber will get the call up to record the GWS song... :rolleyes:

*I wonder if the original Fremantle Unions team had a song back in 1886, maybe that should be ours!

Like others I'm in two minds on this. The song's hard to actually sing (more of a chant really) and the players tend to be a bit uncomfortable with it.

On the other hand, it's very distinctive and wouldn't it be great to hear opposition fans whining relentlessly about it because they have to hear it every week!

I'd favour some sort of reworking that retains the song's essence but gives the players (and fans) a bit more to get their teeth into lyricly (Nodgey's close to the mark I reckon).

I'd be reluctant to start afresh. The older clubs have songs based on centuries-old music, but we couldn't do that and there's a risk we'd end up with a piece of bubble gum, as the Suns and GWS will probably get.

Yes, the numbers say it all. A group of people, equivalent to approximately 0.001% of the club's membership, want the song changed. Why hasn't it been done already? :rolleyes:

Get your hand off it. BF is full of our more die hard supporters. If you're getting most of them saying change the song, I'd hazard a guess and say less die hard would be even more in favour of a change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Song Review

Back