Club Song Review

What would you like to be done about the club song?

• Nothing. Keep the song!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Re-work the music

• Re-work the lyrics

• We need a new song.

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

FWIW I reckon they could sing the curent song thusly:

We’re the rollers
We’re the rockers
We’re the mighty Freo Dockers!
We’re gonna roll ‘em and we’ll rock ‘em
We’re gonna send ‘em to the bottom
And if they get up, we’ll do again
The Dockers stop at nothing – nothing

Freo, way to go!
Hit ‘em real hard, send ‘em down below
Oh Freo, give ‘em the old heave ho
We are the Freo Dockers!

By inlcuding the first rollicking bit, the players get to do a long "weeeeeeeee're" as all the players get ready to join in. Most other clubs songs seem to have this sort of thing at the start.

Gotta disagree. As it is, it's more of a kid's rock song than a footy song, but maybe a new one isn't needed if they just change the two verses. I do like the chorus, and the intro is pretty epic, but the two verses with the rolling and the rocking are boring and need to be changed to something a bit more stimulating.

Gotta disagree. As it is, it's more of a kid's rock song than a footy song, but maybe a new one isn't needed if they just change the two verses. I do like the chorus, and the intro is pretty epic, but the two verses with the rolling and the rocking are boring and need to be changed to something a bit more stimulating.

How many footy songs have two verses? It is overkill.

Should change it to TNT by AC/DC like they do at the end of a game (FRE-MAN-TLE)

Agree , the crowd volume goes up a cog when they sing this. Bon Scott was a Freo boy so I would be happy with that. Having said that whatever we sing is ok because it means we have had a win.:)

We’re the rollers
We’re the rockers
We’re the mighty Freo Dockers!
We’re gonna roll ‘em and we’ll rock ‘em
We’re gonna send ‘em to the bottom
And if they get up, we’ll do again
The Dockers stop at nothing – nothing

Freo, way to go!
Hit ‘em real hard, send ‘em down below
Oh Freo, give ‘em the old heave ho
We are the Freo Dockers!

Have you looked at the words? It is terrible!! Not that other clubs have literary masterpieces, but geez, some of our lyrics are embarrassing.

I don't think there is any point trying to re-work what we have. Either ditch it completely and start again, or just keep it the way it is. Personally, I'd prefer the former.

And there is no shame copying the style of the better songs. The old pompous songs with the horns etc. ... they work. There would be plenty of such tunes we could adapt.

Way to go kiddies, let's change the song and while we're at it, let's move our HQ's to Joondalup and change our name to the West Coast Falcons.
A new song, A new home, A new jumper, that should appeal to the broader community.

There's a line here and things that make vomit is it Lach :D

Have you looked at the words? It is terrible!! Not that other clubs have literary masterpieces, but geez, some of our lyrics are embarrassing.

I don't think there is any point trying to re-work what we have. Either ditch it completely and start again, or just keep it the way it is. Personally, I'd prefer the former.

And there is no shame copying the style of the better songs. The old pompous songs with the horns etc. ... they work. There would be plenty of such tunes we could adapt.

OK then.. The old Monty Python tune. Quality... Job done! :D

[youtube]Np4uGXi2gT8[/youtube]

Some of the lyrics of the current anthem sound like they were written by a poorly talented 7 year old. Some parts of our current anthem are good.

Could we do better. Yeah.

Having watched the clip of the boys belting out the song after the finals win against Hawks, perhaps the song could just be speeded up a bit...???

They certainly did not seem to have much of a problem singing, then again, who would after a win!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I voted for lyrics as well, IMO they are embarrassing and rather crap to sing along to (although I always do anyway) but I don't mind the song itself.

In an unbiased opinion you should tweak some of the more repetitive lyrics, and the "heave-ho" should go for something else that rymes with "Freo", and shorten the song a little bit, but other then that keep the music.

Maybe references to the anchor, the passion of Dockers fans and your purple culture would be good as well. But that's just my opinion.

In an unbiased opinion you should tweak some of the more repetitive lyrics, and the "heave-ho" should go for something else that rymes with "Freo", and shorten the song a little bit, but other then that keep the music.

Maybe references to the anchor, the passion of Dockers fans and your purple culture would be good as well. But that's just my opinion.

Good idea, but the Steves have seen to it that we don't have an anchor anymore. It seems Saints fans managed to notice our "maritime heritage" more than our own CEO and President did...

Dio?

Out of interest, I was at the game on Sunday and if I'm fairly sure the Freo song wasn't played, even when they ran out on the ground.

Is this a sign that a new song is coming?

I like the song a lot but agree that it could be started at a different point, to come in at "WEEEEEEEERRRRREEEEE the Rollers and the Rockers, the Mighty Freo Dockers...."

If you were to change it, which based on the Steves previous record looks likely then Billy Bragg's 'Power in a Union' would be the way to go (please forgive the hackneyed, semi-plaigarised lyrics)

We are the club from Fremantle, a power across the land
A passion beating in the hearts of our supporters
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand
We are the Dockers of Fremantle

Chorus:

Freo Forever
We stand up fight
Forward together
The purple and white
For the name of this club shall be heard across the land

Especially with the single guitar intro.

Keep the song. Rosich and Harris have already changed an aspect of the club that didn't need to be changed (uniform/logo) and the song is another that doesn't need to be changed

What happened to the adage "We're Freo and we're proud to be different"

Seriously if the song changes, I'm hopping on the first flight to Perth and I'm gonna absolutely give it to Dumb/Dumber (Rosich/Harris - could be either order though)

I like the song a lot but agree that it could be started at a different point, to come in at "WEEEEEEEERRRRREEEEE the Rollers and the Rockers, the Mighty Freo Dockers...."

If you were to change it, which based on the Steves previous record looks likely then Billy Bragg's 'Power in a Union' would be the way to go (please forgive the hackneyed, semi-plaigarised lyrics)

We are the club from Fremantle, a power across the land
A passion beating in the hearts of our supporters
But it all amounts to nothing if together we don't stand

Chorus:

Freo Forever
We stand up fight
Forward together
The purple and white
For the name of this club shall be heard across the land

Especially with the single guitar intro.

A re-working of the current song would be fine with me. An uplifting start would be awesome after a victory, sometimes the slow start just hits the wrong pitch after a game like the round 3 win against Geelong. I'd like to get rid of the cheesy child's rap section too coz let's face it, anyone could write better football-orientated lyrics. When you actually see the lyrics written down you realise how simple and plain they are.

But I'm open to a new song too and something like your suggestion DrJon would work an absolute treat. Could imagine the crowd and players singing that with gusto - which is the only way to sing a club song.

There are good and bad parts of our song which is why i dont think a completely new song is needed. I dont like the start with the freo heave ho and I think it would be better suited as a bridge between two verses. Also the song goes too long, I dont think we need the were the rockers were the rollers verse. Personally I like what the players sing and feel that could be moulded into something more fitting

Rework the tune a little and keep the lyrics short and sweet, heres my amateur effort.

Freo way to go hit em real hard and send em down below
Freo striving for the top We are the mighty Freo Dockers
Freo here we go we wont stop till the flag is home
Freo give them the old heave ho We are the mighty Freo Dockers

Freo Heave Ho, Freo Heave Ho
Give them all the old Freo Heave Ho

Repeat Verse 1

Then pump out the TNT

Remove this Banner Ad

Club Song Review

Back