News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Why so much angst about Sayers and the process??
Sayers said all along he is going to turn every rock to find the best candidates...

CEO & Coaching role was never going to happen straight away, because our targets could/are still in finals...

CEO - Cook, still in finals (Liddle likely gone)
Coach - C.Scott sure we would want to speak with him before deciding on a coach
Assistant Coaches - Maybe still coaching in finals
Head of Football - Not sure who is best for this position (Lloyd possibly stays, unless he goes to Collingwood)

Think we all need to have some patients...
Go to Collingwood...please.

Why are you agitating so strongly then? Why have the worst possible outlook on everything that has happened?

I'm seeing the potential of strong people coming into the club and making us a professional football club again. I'm hopeful and it's not a false dawn hopeful like we had under rookie appointees.
I’m not agitating and I don’t have an outlook.
I’m stating what I understand to be happening and I have real concerns on that basis.
Did tonight’s announcement of the coaching panel make you more or less confident about what’s happening? I’d be interested in your perspective.

I’m not agitating and I don’t have an outlook.
I’m stating what I understand to be happening and I have real concerns on that basis.
Did tonight’s announcement of the coaching panel make you more or less confident about what’s happening? I’d be interested in your perspective.
Slightly underwhelmed at this point in time. Landing Cook would do wonders for my confidence in the club.

I have the growing impression that Sayers is a try hard and an urger, not a leader. He’s the quintessential little bloke who wants to run the show single handedly to prove he’s a big boy.
If he undertook a DISC profile I'm pretty sure he'd score a high D. Not always a bad thing as they tend to get stuff done ... but such personalities often do not listen to the reasoning of others. They also tend to dislike repetition and ignore details, even when it's important and generally like quick results - not good at seeing what's around the corner.

Alright. Hypothetically, Cook comes to the Blues (goodness knows why he would??!!)

Given Cook’s age, is it possible that he could be brought as mentor to Liddle?Liddle has done some really good things for the club. And has been found wanting in a number of other areas.

I understand this is highly unlikely and very pie in the sky but I would hope that there is a plan for club culture transformation and handover built into Cook’s reign should he come.

Alright. Hypothetically, Cook comes to the Blues (goodness knows why he would??!!)

Given Cook’s age, is it possible that he could be brought as mentor to Liddle?Liddle has done some really good things for the club. And has been found wanting in a number of other areas.

I understand this is highly unlikely and very pie in the sky but I would hope that there is a plan for club culture transformation and handover built into Cook’s reign should he come.
2 Things, Liddle is a bust, will be gone before long so mentoring, while good idea won't be required in his case. Other thing, he's only 65, people are talking like he is 85. My old man retired at 73, the US president is 106, my boss a similar age. These guys retire, get bored, die. He would have a good 5/6 years to give if he took on the role and was executing it effectively as he needed.

2 Things, Liddle is a bust, will be gone before long so mentoring, while good idea won't be required in his case. Other thing, he's only 65, people are talking like he is 85. My old man retired at 73, the US president is 106, my boss a similar age. These guys retire, get bored, die. He would have a good 5/6 years to give if he took on the role and was executing it effectively as he needed.
Both fair points. I do, however, regard the mark of a good manager as someone who has a team who are replaceable including themselves. If not Liddle, I think it would be remiss to not have in mind a successor at some stage (albeit maybe later - I hear your point that 65 is not that old in contemporary society)

Both fair points. I do, however, regard the mark of a good manager as someone who has a team who are replaceable including themselves. If not Liddle, I think it would be remiss to not have in mind a successor at some stage (albeit maybe later - I hear your point that 65 is not that old in contemporary society)
Absolutely, and would be a hugely wasted resource should he take the job and they don't use it as an opportunity to groom his successor.
That level of organisation / foresight all sounds very un carlton like!! Here's hoping.

My apologies in advance if this has been covered recently on this forum, but has any date been set for the release of the complete external review of the
club ... or will it only released in piece meal fashion ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My apologies in advance if this has been covered recently on this forum, but has any date been set for the release of the complete external review of the
club ... or will it only released in piece meal fashion ?
can't imagine it ever being fully released intentionally. There will be plenty of things said in confidence, a confidential nature, things the club/staff/players will want to keep in-house for both personal & professional reasons.

Amused that some believe Sayers makes all plans, processes and decisions without any consultation or listening to opinions of others.

His position makes him the media mouthpiece and I assume he chairs the board meetings, etc. But to think he’s a one man dictatorship who’ll do whatever he wants is a bit laughable really.

Like all clubs, we have a board with board members. Whilst they have / will make decisions we don’t always like or work out well, it’s still a board …. not Saddam’s regime.

Sorry to ask but is there a copy of the CFC Review summary information here online on Big Footy as Google hasn't produced anything of note ?

1st post of this thread ...

Sorry to ask but is there a copy of the CFC Review summary information here online on Big Footy as Google hasn't produced anything of note ?
It was in an email sent to members on 26 Aug 21, the points on the review were as follows

Key findings of the review

In general, the independent panel found the football department to be well managed and with a good focus on people and processes. The review panel identified specific opportunities for the football department to improve and support a higher level of on-field performance.

In summary, the review panel also found:

• Whilst management and staff were found to be capable and committed to the success of Carlton Football Club, and demonstrating a positive mindset, there is a requirement for stronger leadership, more experienced coaching, and improvements in player development.
  • There has been confusion associated with the game plan at times and on-field, the team has underdelivered in its ability to consistently defend, win the contest and apply pressure.
  • There is a high level of expertise in the high-performance area, however opportunity exists to clearly define roles and responsibilities.
  • Good list management processes are now in place, including detailed analysis undertaken to support list management and recruitment decisions.
  • The Club has excellent facilities which reflects the ambition to compete against the best performing teams in the AFL.
  • We were pleased that the final report delivered by the external panel outlined a number of areas our football department had been performing strongly, relating to areas of football strategy, list management, systems and operations, with quality people committed to what they’re doing.
The review has been incredibly helpful for management and the Board to gain external expertise, critical opinion of our program and how we can improve ourselves to achieve on-field success going forward.

Our Board and CEO Cain Liddle will now work with Head of Football Brad Lloyd and the key leaders of our football department to deliver the key areas of improvement I have detailed for you in the summary above.

It is now the responsibility of everyone in our football department, players, coaches and staff, as well as the Board, to make these necessary improvements in order to ensure the Carlton Football Club remains focused on achieving our ultimate, long-term goal – winning premierships.

Going forward, our priority is now the recruitment of a new Senior Coach. Further details will be communicated in due course.

It was in an email sent to members on 26 Aug 21, the points on the review were as follows

Key findings of the review

In general, the independent panel found the football department to be well managed and with a good focus on people and processes. The review panel identified specific opportunities for the football department to improve and support a higher level of on-field performance.

In summary, the review panel also found:

• Whilst management and staff were found to be capable and committed to the success of Carlton Football Club, and demonstrating a positive mindset, there is a requirement for stronger leadership, more experienced coaching, and improvements in player development.
  • There has been confusion associated with the game plan at times and on-field, the team has underdelivered in its ability to consistently defend, win the contest and apply pressure.
  • There is a high level of expertise in the high-performance area, however opportunity exists to clearly define roles and responsibilities.
  • Good list management processes are now in place, including detailed analysis undertaken to support list management and recruitment decisions.
  • The Club has excellent facilities which reflects the ambition to compete against the best performing teams in the AFL.
  • We were pleased that the final report delivered by the external panel outlined a number of areas our football department had been performing strongly, relating to areas of football strategy, list management, systems and operations, with quality people committed to what they’re doing.
The review has been incredibly helpful for management and the Board to gain external expertise, critical opinion of our program and how we can improve ourselves to achieve on-field success going forward.

Our Board and CEO Cain Liddle will now work with Head of Football Brad Lloyd and the key leaders of our football department to deliver the key areas of improvement I have detailed for you in the summary above.

It is now the responsibility of everyone in our football department, players, coaches and staff, as well as the Board, to make these necessary improvements in order to ensure the Carlton Football Club remains focused on achieving our ultimate, long-term goal – winning premierships.

Going forward, our priority is now the recruitment of a new Senior Coach. Further details will be communicated in due course.

Thank you very much sending me that.

Remove this Banner Ad

News Club to launch external review of football department!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back