Remove this Banner Ad

BrianSpeaking

Cancelled
Mar 16, 2007
@BigFootyBrian
AFL Club
St Kilda
Clubs in Crisis.

Ok, BrianSpeaking( I thought you would all like the third person thing!) has put together his definitive list of “Clubs in Crisis”. A crisis rating has been assigned to each club (1-mild crisis through to 5-severe) and the only rule is that only one club from each section can be selected.

Premier.
OM’S- Crisis rating -3
Poor old OM’s, every time they go up they get excited and think they will be ok but alas it usually ends in disaster. Importing a Xavs coach hasn’t done much for the win/loss ratio and they really haven’t made a fist of Premier for over a decade. High expectations pre-season (announcing their gun recruits on their website) has delivered donuts so far. It looks like another drop for them unless they can string some wins together in a hurry.
Honorable crisis mention to Uni Blues and John Kannis!

Premier B –Uni Blacks-Crisis rating 3
I know this may be a surprise to many but they have lost four in a row after looking so good early. Only poor kicking cost them a spot in A grade last year in the preliminary final and the expectations were very high. The Uni oval appears to be no longer the fortress it once was and Razor Ray doesn’t tolerate failure especially with a third year coach. Boy do they need a win.
• Honorable mention to Rovers but I couldn’t open that tin of worms (sorry CC!)

Premier C- Old Camberwell-Crisis rating 4
Another losing finalist from the year before who has severally fallen from grace. Had high expectations, a new pavilion but have only won one game against the struggling Essendon. Going to D1 would be a disaster for a club who had worked so hard to get to B for two seasons and the coach doesn’t need another relegated club on his resume. The unusually even ladder means a few wins can change things quickly for them. This week’s home game is huge for them.

Division 1 -Old Paradians –Crisis rating 4.5(honorable mention Bull-Temp!)
Losing last week at home by a point was a killer for the raiders. To think just over a decade ago, they were a powerhouse B grade side with dominant under 19’s in the top section. Boy, have they had a fall from grace. They will use the old” they all pay players around here excuse” but as far as I know they have been paying players in the Diamond Valley league for decades, even when the Raiders were in A grade. Haven’t won a senior flag fro 25 years and need to get the school thing right-quickly.

Division 2 –Aquinas- Crisis rating -4
To think they are now on the cusp of going to D3? They were on the cusp of C grade not so long ago and were always very competitive in D1 and they were a feared force at home. It must break Marchie Turrulli’s heart to see this and the days of their decorated players (Cultera, Whitehead, Flynn etc) are well and truly gone. Having shown in the past they can survive tough situations but boy is this weeks game against St Mary’s a big one!

Division 3- Kew- Crisis Rating-3
To think they were once an A section club. They have had a culture of trying to win reserves flag for years(“I only want to play twos!”) and they have accommodated these characters for too long. It has been laughable to watch their seniors constantly down the bottom with the reserves constantly in the fiinals. When was the last time they won a senior flag? Try 1979! Are they stuck in D3/D4 for ever? Getting an ex AFL player as a coach hasn’t made a scrap of difference and this mob are the essence of sub standard. Again the twos have more wins than the ones!

Division 4- Chadstone –Crisis rating 6
RIP Chaddy.

Clubs in Crisis.

Ok, BrianSpeaking( I thought you would all like the third person thing!) has put together his definitive list of “Clubs in Crisis”. A crisis rating has been assigned to each club (1-mild crisis through to 5-severe) and the only rule is that only one club from each section can be selected.

Premier.
OM’S- Crisis rating -3
Poor old OM’s, every time they go up they get excited and think they will be ok but alas it usually ends in disaster. Importing a Xavs coach hasn’t done much for the win/loss ratio and they really haven’t made a fist of Premier for over a decade. High expectations pre-season (announcing their gun recruits on their website) has delivered donuts so far. It looks like another drop for them unless they can string some wins together in a hurry.

I know this may be a surprise to many but they have lost four in a row after looking so good early. Only poor kicking cost them a spot in A grade last year in the preliminary final and the expectations were very high. The Uni oval appears to be no longer the fortress it once was and Razor Ray doesn’t tolerate failure especially with a third year coach. Boy do they need a win.

Another losing finalist from the year before who has severally fallen from grace. Had high expectations, a new pavilion but have only won one game against the struggling Essendon. Going to D1 would be a disaster for a club who had worked so hard to get to B for two seasons and the coach doesn’t need another relegated club on his resume. The unusually even ladder means a few wins can change things quickly for them. This week’s home game is huge for them.

Losing last week at home by a point was a killer for the raiders. To think just over a decade ago, they were a powerhouse B grade side with dominant under 19’s in the top section. Boy, have they had a fall from grace. They will use the old” they all pay players around here excuse” but as far as I know they have been paying players in the Diamond Valley league for decades, even when the Raiders were in A grade. Haven’t won a senior flag fro 25 years and need to get the school thing right-quickly.

To think they are now on the cusp of going to D3? They were on the cusp of C grade not so long ago and were always very competitive in D1 and they were a feared force at home. It must break Marchie Turrulli’s heart to see this and the days of their decorated players (Cultera, Whitehead, Flynn etc) are well and truly gone. Having shown in the past they can survive tough situations but boy is this weeks game against St Mary’s a big one!

To think they were once an A section club. They have had a culture of trying to win reserves flag for years(“I only want to play twos!”) and they have accommodated these characters for too long. It has been laughable to watch their seniors constantly down the bottom with the reserves constantly in the fiinals. When was the last time they won a senior flag? Try 1979! Are they stuck in D3/D4 for ever? Getting an ex AFL player as a coach hasn’t made a scrap of difference and this mob are the essence of sub standard. Again the twos have more wins than the ones!

RIP Chaddy.

Great read BS. Think OM's may have turned the corner. Watched them last week and i cannot see them going down if they keep that list on the park. Will have a crack at my own soon. Poor Chaddy. I always enjoy reading the 1's and 2's results in the paper and trying to imagine how a bunch of 44 footballers could be so bad. Imagine the guys on the interchange bench for the two's. They must be reaaalllyyy bad.

Good work BS. OMs on paper are as good as anyone so not really a crisis but they are so full of talent they should be pushing for a top four spot. Even if they do survive the drop that model is not sustainable. How many of those imports (admittedly great players) will be in it for the long haul? They had some good young talent right under their nose but have passed it over for a quick fix. Similarities to the unsuccessful Scotch model which is no coincidence as Wayne Oswald involved in both. Reckon the end result for OMs will be the same. Scotch to their credit are now re-building from within on the back of some good U19s.

In regard to Chaddy – Any club that has not won a game in 1sts or 2nds for about 3 years deserves the respect and admiration of everyone. I wish them well and hope they turn the corner soon.

Brian...great work old son. Can't believe Hampton didn't get a crisis rating! Surely mentonians would have been close. Is this their 10th straight year in D1?

BS if you or anyone believe that Uni Blacks are in more crisis than Hampton, your kidding yourself.

I think even the HR posters on here would be s******ing.

Whack some cement in your Pimms and harden up son.

Dont agree CC. UB have recruited strongly, or so they thought, whereas Hampton have had some big losses of quality players, so I would suggest that the Blacks are under the pump more than Hampton.

Oh, ok, then I think the thread is "What TEAM is in Crisis"

Play On![/quote

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

I agree with you Brian, given their start, expectations, their finish to last season, ther would be some serious head scratching.

CC, can you shed any light on what is going on at Mentonians?

Poor Chaddy. I always enjoy reading the 1's and 2's results in the paper and trying to imagine how a bunch of 44 footballers could be so bad. Imagine the guys on the interchange bench for the two's. They must be reaaalllyyy bad.

Their is no bench; hence the problem. You'll have 10 or so core players in the reserves and fill-ins / ex-players / FIDA players helping get to around 16-18 players. Seniors suffer from lack of depth and numbers - rarely have they had 22 this season.

That being said, the club definitely should have moved to a lower level to help rebuild. I hope Chaddy get better in the coming years, but they will struggle.

Their is no bench; hence the problem. You'll have 10 or so core players in the reserves and fill-ins / ex-players / FIDA players helping get to around 16-18 players. Seniors suffer from lack of depth and numbers - rarely have they had 22 this season.

That being said, the club definitely should have moved to a lower level to help rebuild. I hope Chaddy get better in the coming years, but they will struggle.

Massive turnover of players for Chaddy this year. 1sts showed some signs a couple of weeks ago, last week wasn't good at all. Ressies are gonna struggle as long as the 1sts are unsettled. Last game was the first they had a bench.

Who cares about the clubs in crisis, it's all about the clubs heading to the peak, just follow mine..... Hoo Roo.

Hey BS, like the article but you would be disappointed in me if I didn't disagree with you. OM's have lost some nailbiters this year. SBMT by the last kick, Carey by a kick when storming home, led Uni and Scotch at 3/4 time, only lost to Collegians by 4. Not the worst, and the imports have been amongst the best each week. Big Monkey off the bcak last week - today is the big test. Win at Marles and they are on their way. Lots of good kids, reckon they'll survive and go nicely next year. How do Haileybury escape a mention?

Keep up quality writing like this and there's a job for you on www.vafa.com.au

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh, ok, then I think the thread is "What TEAM is in Crisis"

Play On![/quote

I would have thought that was pretty obvious.

I agree with you Brian, given their start, expectations, their finish to last season, ther would be some serious head scratching.

CC, can you shed any light on what is going on at Mentonians?

Not any major updates however I have always said they have been a club that have attracted players who have given up on their last club or could not handle the discipline from their previous club/coaches - not a good sign that these guys would drive a strong culture. Mcgee and the missing Fairbanks has obviously opened up a big hole down there ( not sure what the fall out was though it must have been big for them to depart).

Still secure one of the best ammo footballers going around, what a waste!, Cannot believe a local $$$ club has not approached him as he likes the coin to further his International Studies of the ancient art of Beaver Catching.

CC

EDIT
PREMIER:
After viewing a grey haired pensioner this morning in The Age(how appropriate)with his arms raised after kicking a goal for VERY OLD Haileybury(like the grey hair colour?), I must replace OM's with Haileybury as the team in crisis...Oh my God, what a f...ing joke!!!!!!!!

Clubs in Crisis.

Premier.
OM’S- Crisis rating -3

RIP Chaddy.
You did Well Brian, you managed to get four of these teams up for wins!

not sure where u are getting your info.but no fida players playing in either chaddy side.

Brian--might have to add Monash to the list.

Won their first three and have lost the last five!

Crisis?

Crisis sounds a bit severe to me Ronny. Need our best side on the park to challenge the better sides but we're around the mark with the rest. Need to snag a win quick to get some confidence into the young lads.

We'll be ok in this our 50th year! Thanks for your concern big boy.

Correct Phantom.
In some ways, Westbourne are suffering at the hands of their close neighbours Werribee Districts.

There are only two former OW players at Werribee. OW are suffering more at the hands of their further away neighbours Trentham where there are up to 11 former players running around in the seniors at any time.

Either way, the senior team is struggling but the club as a whole is not. Seven junior teams from U/16 down and situated in the middle of a massive growth area are good signs for the future.

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubs in crisis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back