Coach Adam Simpson Megathread est. 2017 - Skip to 2024: Simpson coaching tenure officially ends

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look I think it’s just how you choose to look at it.

If the club were asked at the press conference ‘would you like Adam to coach a farewell game?’ and Pyke says ‘No we wouldn’t ask Adam to do that’ then the headline is ‘EAGLES SHUN SIMPSON FAREWELL’

Instead they offered, he declined. It’s really not that big a deal and it would have come from the right place.

This isn’t Mark Harvey getting knifed for Ross Lyon here - it’s a tough time for those on the inside and everyone will be sad or at the very least sentimental to see Simpson move on.

Don Pyke has been there himself, he’s not an idiot.
Why would the club be asked ‘would you like Adam to coach a farewell game’?
Isn’t this over anticipating? Or do all sacked coaches coach a farewell game?
Even if Pyke or Fitzpatrick was asked this they could have batted it back and left it open.

I, and many others, thought it was an odd suggestion, and Simpson was clearly blindsided and embarrassed by it in the meeting. He clarified today that he had refused this offer privately but thought he didn’t make himself clear enough.

I don’t think Pyke is an idiot, far from it, but I don’t think him publicly pressing this offer was his finest moment.

FWIW, I think it was a silly and inappropriate suggestion, almost insulting, and Simpson agreed, although in more polite language than I have used.

P.S The West Australian’s front page could not have been more disgusting than it was and it was nothing to do with being refused a farewell game.

Last edited:
Round 13 2021 Brah.

You go ahead and tell me how it could all go so bad from this point. We were top 4.

Won 2 of the next 9 games, finishing the season as the worst performing team in the AFL post bye. So disappointing.

"Bounced back" the following season in 2022 by winning 2 games and having 21 losses for the year. Let that sink in :eek:

Fronted up in 2023 with a 3 win, 21 loss season. Total basket case at this point and labelled worst team of all time.

Rolled that into 2024 and we've got 3 wins, 13 losses and we've just sacked out long term coach.

The game after this we had the first instance of “the calvary” returning so we dropped a bunch of younger players for the returning senior guys which brought with it a stale energy that has been in the side ever since.

Round 13 2021 Brah.

You go ahead and tell me how it could all go so bad from this point. We were top 4.

Won 2 of the next 9 games, finishing the season as the worst performing team in the AFL post bye. So disappointing.

"Bounced back" the following season in 2022 by winning 2 games and having 21 losses for the year. Let that sink in :eek:

Fronted up in 2023 with a 3 win, 21 loss season. Total basket case at this point and labelled worst team of all time.

Rolled that into 2024 and we've got 3 wins, 13 losses and we've just sacked out long term coach.

You feeling okay mate?

Surprised you didn't take the opportunity to mention how well Clinton Grybas called that Ryan to Kennedy goal sequence.

He's won a flag.
We've won 2 finals in a decade under ken which gives it more context. Had we won a flag in 2018 or at the very least made a GF you wouldn't be seeing the reaction from fans as you see now.

I don't think the end of Simpsons reign and how it panned out had much at all to do with him individually but most things around him and his attitude just followed with it.
Ken on the other hand has had every single person around him come and go and the clubs in the same position after coming out and saying 3 flags in five years. The land of mediocrity.
I have always thought with your midfield you should be dominating; not on the fringes of contesting a flag

Just watched Simmo on talking footy

Such a class act

It’s a little thing, but what I liked most was him still referring to West Coast as we/us/our players etc

Didn’t seem bitter in the slightest and whilst he maintained he was up for the fight of a rebuild I did get the sense he was a touch relieved that he no longer has to be
The US WE was really evident in his farewell presser as well. It spoke to players.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Round 13 2021 Brah.

happens in footy Shark.

you will note in this game we are playing the reigning premiers - look at where they are now

The game after this we had the first instance of “the calvary” returning so we dropped a bunch of younger players for the returning senior guys which brought with it a stale energy that has been in the side ever since.
1720662374903.png
1720662311261.png

2 scoring shots to 10 in Q1
13 scoring shots to 33 all up

Could have easily lost by 100. With those ins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 13 2021 Brah.

**** me JK was an absolute gun :'(:brokenheart:
Even at 48yo & with 1 working knee.

Watching that video, it still feels like yesterday.

So funny to say ths walking into such a press conference, BW eyes asking so many questions but all harmless as .
l knew Simmo from his North days and he has a very dry sense of humor. Because some of the things he and some other players got up to this is typical Simmo...Dry but funny.

Seen it mentioned a few times in the media, including by the club, that Simpson is one of only three coaches to guide West Coast to a flag.

“Only” three is a bit of a relative term. Since 1987, no club has had more than 3 premiership coaches

3- Collingwood, Hawthorn, West Coast
2- Carlton, Geelong, Sydney
1- Adelaide, Brisbane, Essendon, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, Richmond, Western Bulldogs
0- Fitzroy, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda

0- Fitzroy, Fremantle, Gold Coast, GWS, St Kilda
Happy Antonio Banderas GIF

I don't understand the carrying on about Pyke offering Simpson the option of a farewell game. The club wants to give supporters the opportunity to thank him for the 10 or so years and the 2018 flag. They want to frame the parting of the ways as not a dark chapter full of bad feeling in the club's history. If Simpson doesn't want to do it that is OK. I am OK with both it being offered to him and him deciding that he doesn't want to do it. We are likely to finish second bottom on the ladder. It is not like we are in contention for the 8 and this weekend is a must win game with no room for sentimentality.

I don't understand the carrying on about Pyke offering Simpson the option of a farewell game. The club wants to give supporters the opportunity to thank him for the 10 or so years and the 2018 flag. They want to frame the parting of the ways as not a dark chapter full of bad feeling in the club's history. If Simpson doesn't want to do it that is OK. I am OK with both it being offered to him and him deciding that he doesn't want to do it. We are likely to finish second bottom on the ladder. It is not like we are in contention for the 8 and this weekend is a must win game with no room for sentimentality.

The problem is dropping it in the press conference before Simmo had decided, making it public and awkward.

Pyke should have kept quiet until Simmo made his call.

Only blemish on the press conference which, apart from Pyke dropping that on Simmo, was handled as well as a public announcement of a sacking can be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back