Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

But what happens if he’s the best in the process? Why would you give him 2 and say a Hansen/Montgomery etc 3
If he is best in the process then I am ok with that for sure. Although measuring his potential is always going to be hard and not as simplistic as other potential coaches

The bloke has played in an AFL premiership team, and coached 3 WAFL premierships, think he’s done a bit more than your usual assistant coach. Bonus arm sleeve. No comparison to the Teagues Boltons and Shaws.

They’ll go through the process. Looking at the candidates in the mix, he’s the front runner now, unless the wheels fall off in the last 2 games.

With old pops simmo and knights gone, its a very different coaching panel.

Not just getting them up and about, he’s making good selection calls, discovering new positions, changing strategy and tactics mid game, and standing up for our blokes and club in the media. Whats he missing?

The bloke has played in an AFL premiership team, and coached 3 WAFL premierships, think he’s done a bit more than your usual assistant coach. Bonus arm sleeve. No comparison to the Teagues Boltons and Shaws.

They’ll go through the process. Looking at the candidates in the mix, he’s the front runner now, unless the wheels fall off in the last 2 games.

Not just getting them up and about, he’s making good selection calls, discovering new positions, changing strategy and tactics mid game, and standing up for our blokes and club in the media. Whats he missing?
schoey is older than one of them old pops and it ain’t the former Essendon coach

I think I’d rather 2 with kpis triggering the third.

If thats all your prepared to offer then it will be Schofield.

I just cant see a Coach moving over from the East and having all the pieces to set up, with moving a young family, for a stingy two year contract, with KPI triggers.

Given where our list currently sits in its development and state of refresh, a new Coach will need more than two years to turn the teams fortunes around.

Two years time the list will be with out most of: TB, Barrass, Yeo, Kelly, Ryan, Darling, Sheed, Hunt and Cripps.

We are still in for another two seasons hovering around the bottom half of the ladder, PLUS, we will then have Tasmania pillaging the draft cohort.

And to complicate things further we are anything but a destination Club, so attracting quality out of contract players to us is going to be near impossible.

Our genuine rise up the ladder, transitioning into a side knocking on the door of the eight, is still 5 years away.

We dont know what hes missing. The club will have to find out.
Hes doing well now but the club will want to be confident he will still be good in 3+ years time and he has the plan/ability to take an AFL side to a premiership.

Its a very different to just getting them motivated for a few games at the end of a season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The last game is away v Geelong who love giving us a flogging down there a really tough assignment for any coach..
They will come hard with spots tight in the top 4 ..Pray for Schofield please..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

The last game is away v Geelong who love giving us a flogging down there a really tough assignment for any coach..
They will come hard with spots tight in the top 4 ..Pray for Schofield please..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Reckon a few senior players might call it early as well and avoid the trip, also giving us a look at a couple of young or fringe players. Could get ugly but would have no influence on the decision.

A few good wins to end the season should NOT guarantee anybody the permanent role.

There is more to a coaching gig than just getting the guys up for a few weeks.

Jarrad Schofield is a premiership player. He's spent 3 years coaching Subiaco Colts, a year as an assistant at Claremont and then was the senior coach at Subiaco where he won three premierships. He then was an assistant at Port Adelaide for three years, during which they placed 10th... then 1st and 2nd. Not saying he was responsible for Port's rise, but incidentally they dropped down to 11th after he left.

Basically, his credentials are as good as any senior assistance coach going around. They are arguably better than Worsfold's credentials were when he got the job -- 2 premierships as a player and captain, but only 2 years coaching experience at Carlton.

Schofield came to West Coast with an excellent reputation, and was widely tipped to have senior-coaching potential. It feels like he's been tarnished by the last couple of years, which I think is unfair. Ever worked in a job where things were being run like shit? Did you feel like you deserved the blame?

No, a few good wins to the end of the season don't guarantee the permant role. But combine those wins with an excellent resume and Schofield should be the leading candidate. I'm struggling to think of any other candidate that has better credentials, and he now has the benefit of proving that he also win matches when he's sitting in the big chair. And I don't think any other candidate can say that.

Jarrad Schofield is a premiership player. He's spent 3 years coaching Subiaco Colts, a year as an assistant at Claremont and then was the senior coach at Subiaco where he won three premierships. He then was an assistant at Port Adelaide for three years, during which they placed 10th... then 1st and 2nd. Not saying he was responsible for Port's rise, but incidentally they dropped down to 11th after he left.

Basically, his credentials are as good as any senior assistance coach going around. They are arguably better than Worsfold's credentials were when he got the job -- 2 premierships as a player and captain, but only 2 years coaching experience at Carlton.

Schofield came to West Coast with an excellent reputation, and was widely tipped to have senior-coaching potential. It feels like he's been tarnished by the last couple of years, which I think is unfair. Ever worked in a job where things were being run like shit? Did you feel like you deserved the blame?

No, a few good wins to the end of the season don't guarantee the permant role. But combine those wins with an excellent resume and Schofield should be the leading candidate. I'm struggling to think of any other candidate that has better credentials, and he now has the benefit of proving that he also win matches when he's sitting in the big chair. And I don't think any other candidate can say that.

Schofield is the best out there by about 10 furlongs.

I rather look elsewhere but I also wouldn’t mind schoey either. I’m in the camp the next coach won’t see the club being a contender. They just have to build the list up to where it’s heading in the right direction.

I would like to think that a couple of wins won't impact the coaching decision at all.

Go through your process/interviews and base it off the criteria you had planned for from the beginning. If schofield is the guy after that, all good, play on.

Getting sucked into the caretaker honeymoon scares me a little. Anyone can do a holiday fling, you've got to survive the day to day marriage.

I agree, but credentials alone shouldnt be enough. Winning at WAFL isnt the same as winning at AFL. They have to look at his vision for the future as well

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back