Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

That's probably a good thing.

To an extent - the vast majority of football supporters are thick as pig shit and can't understand why their team doesn't win every game they play.

On the flipside there's supporters like me who have immense football knowledge and an understanding of the game despite not playing it since highschool and who also know what's best for the club and could turn it around immediately if given some sort of Ted Lasso like chance to coach and run the club.

To an extent - the vast majority of football supporters are thick as pig shit and can't understand why their team doesn't win every game they play.

On the flipside there's supporters like me who have immense football knowledge and an understanding of the game despite not playing it since highschool and who also know what's best for the club and could turn it around immediately if given some sort of Ted Lasso like chance to coach and run the club.
CAITLIN BASSETT: Bender_ could fit as West Coast coach and Eagles can ‘take a leaf’ from Sam Mitchell

Not to rain on the 18th in tackles to 1st parade but it simply isn't true in any metric.

Since Schofield took over:
Brisbane: 54-66
St Kilda: 44-65
Fremantle: 60-64
Gold Coast: 66-56

224 tackles under Schofield. -27 differential in tackles across his tenure, and 1-3 in winning the tackle count.

For comparison the first opposition team I checked, St Kilda, have had 272 tackles, +28 differential, and are 2-2 in that time. Brisbane have only won the tackle count five times in 20 games this year (interesting in itself), and one was against the Schofield Eagles.

Results are about the same if I throw out the Brisbane game as not a real Schofield game, and only look at the last three weeks.

Loved the fight against GC, loved the big hits, but statistically there's been no tangible change.

There’s some useful information in there re our pressure rating in games - we’ve gone from an average of 174 (17th) under Simpson to 183 (8th) under Schofield

Now as soon as someone explains to me - oh, and the commentators - what the pressure rating actually is, I'll feel super duper. :D

It’s probably pressure acts per quarter or something, but I’m convinced it’s “roughly how much pressure does it feel like they’re putting on?”

There’s some useful information in there re our pressure rating in games - we’ve gone from an average of 174 (17th) under Simpson to 183 (8th) under Schofield

"It's a demanding way to play the game, but if you don't deliver on that it doesn't matter who you're playing, you fall short," Schofield said this week.

Found this quote pretty interesting. From the outside obviously it seemed like Simmo agreed strongly with the first part of the sentence and not so much the rest. I even remember a game against the Crows where we had a stupidly high amount of tackles and Simmo saying that it isn't sustainable to play that way all the time in the presser.

He may well be right but I quite like Schofield's attitude to it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Long way to go before there’s any clarity on who replaces Simpson permanently, but there’s definitely a bit of groundswell support building for Schofield

If that transpires, who do we try to put around him, and which assistants, if any, survive?

Knights has already confirmed he’s leaving so at a minimum we’d need a new forwards coach and a new midfield coach to replace Schofield

Happy to retain Shuey in his existing role since he seems to have built a decent relationship with our young mids. Luke Webster who’s our current backline coach, I’m less certain of but he might get a reprieve to avoid having to find 3 new assistants instead of 2 which might be difficult enough in itself - especially when we’re also searching for a head coach

Mark Stone would be my first choice as midfield coach as not only has he been a successful assistant at a number of clubs, his experience would be an asset helping a first time coach

Not sure where Scott Selwood sits in the pecking order for senior coach, if at all, but if we could prise him out of Collingwood to be an assistant that would be quite a coup

David Teague has recently left Carlton where he was forwards coach and would be worth talking to

Darren Harris is currently working with our AFLW side and is an experienced assistant coach who has also been successful coaching both West Perth and Claremont in the WAFL

I’m not sure if coaching is his thing, but Harry Taylor could be a potential backline coach

If Schofield could encourage his former premiership coach, Mark Williams, to move from Melbourne to head up our development in a similar role I’d be rapt.

Stewart Dew is another who could fill that head of development role or be a line coach if he was happy to drop back. Worth noting he’s a former teammate of Schofield’s

Current forwards coach of the Bulldogs, Matt Spangher, is a familiar name to many and would be a welcome returnee given the cult status he holds.

Long way to go before there’s any clarity on who replaces Simpson permanently, but there’s definitely a bit of groundswell support building for Schofield

If that transpires, who do we try to put around him, and which assistants, if any, survive?

Knights has already confirmed he’s leaving so at a minimum we’d need a new forwards coach and a new midfield coach to replace Schofield

Happy to retain Shuey in his existing role since he seems to have built a decent relationship with our young mids. Luke Webster who’s our current backline coach, I’m less certain of but he might get a reprieve to avoid having to find 3 new assistants instead of 2 which might be difficult enough in itself - especially when we’re also searching for a head coach

Mark Stone would be my first choice as midfield coach as not only has he been a successful assistant at a number of clubs, his experience would be an asset helping a first time coach

Not sure where Scott Selwood sits in the pecking order for senior coach, if at all, but if we could prise him out of Collingwood to be an assistant that would be quite a coup

David Teague has recently left Carlton where he was forwards coach and would be worth talking to

Darren Harris is currently working with our AFLW side and is an experienced assistant coach who has also been successful coaching both West Perth and Claremont in the WAFL

I’m not sure if coaching is his thing, but Harry Taylor could be a potential backline coach

If Schofield could encourage his former premiership coach, Mark Williams, to move from Melbourne to head up our development in a similar role I’d be rapt.

Stewart Dew is another who could fill that head of development role or be a line coach if he was happy to drop back. Worth noting he’s a former teammate of Schofield’s

Current forwards coach of the Bulldogs, Matt Spangher, is a familiar name to many and would be a welcome returnee given the cult status he holds.

Neville Jetta is one I’d be looking at. Has been at Collingwood as a development coach for the last three years, might be ready for a step up. Originally from Bunbury but he’s been over east for quite a while now.

Now as soon as someone explains to me - oh, and the commentators - what the pressure rating actually is, I'll feel super duper. :D

Mark Stone’s segment in 6PR this week

Explains how the pressure gauge is calculated and talks about what Collingwood did well (and we failed to adjust to) in their centre clearance dominance

Good listen as usual

Yep, I swear this is why Freo fans hate Harley so much. For years we've bent over, been pounded by 100 points, didn't retaliate when Hawett was knocked out etc now we have a kid standing up and saying **** THAT. You try to bump me, I'll dump you on your arse (Fyfe first derby).

And I love it.

Huge tick in Schofield's favour if he gets full team buy-in.

I like all of these options. A few other possibilities:

Mark or Jarred Mcveigh: could Don use his connections to Sydney to get them across?
Mick Barlow: has only recently joined North, but has had VFL success
Hickmott: would love to get him back but probably unlikely
WAFL coaches: McQueen or Wardman possibly

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back