Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Have to have the cattle though and from my observation most of our mids seem to be playing the inside mid role although imo Kelly should be playing that outside mid role. In any event Carlton’s injuries were not in their midfield so it was just a matter of being outclassed as we still have a long way to go. The thing I found most disappointing was that we didn’t appear to be having a dip as were not showing the competitiveness we had shown in previous weeks as it appeared we were just coasting at times.
Outclassed yes, but also outworked with a superior system.

A player like George Hewett is no superstar but he was going in hard and feeding the ball out of the packs. They outnumbered us all the time and killed us on the spread with numbers and desire.

It’s not simply talent it’s also the system and workrate. We lack numbers and a strong method in the midfield.
Harley and Yeo seem to be acting as individuals, Kelly looked injured.
Our midfield operates on individual efforts rather than as a team. We need more runners.

The couple of wins didn't paper over the cracks, the cracks are canyons and that is what Simpson and Nisbett left the club with. An absolute disaster.
Whether it's a fresh set of eyes or Schofield the list will still have way to many Simpson players that continue to prove their days of turning up weekly to do their job are long behind them.
How do we get rid of all of them?
Tough gig to take on. Someone has to do it. Do we go with a hard edge guy like Schofield or a friendly give them a hug type of coach.
Huge decision for the club
No more hug type coaches lol as that’s what’s got us into this current mess as Simmo was far too soft - give me the hard-edged coach any day!

Was

Absolutely this…regarding the coaching search, all he does is poo poo every option and continue to talk negative crap.

Grumble grumble, nobody wants the job…the club is rotten! Grumble grumble, Schofield is too connected to the previous regime. Grumble grumble, Montgomery is no good!

Don’t think I’ve heard him provide any decent analysis on who should or could get the job at this stage.
Perhaps Brad Hardie is still pushing for his mate Sumich to get the job lol🤣!

Not here to hang shit, this was on one of our pages. Not a great look but definitely frustrated.

I’ll edit this & say I think he’s frustrated with Darling as I’d say Cripps called for it & to be fair who hasn’t been frustrated with Jack at times.

That was about the 4th dogshit handball Ryan did up to that point to open players i50. I don't blame Cripps for getting shitty, I certainly was.

If I’m correct the last decent mid we drafted was Shuey in 2008? I can’t think of anybody else.. If so that’s absolutely atrocious

Gaff 2010
Sheed 2013

And early days, but I’ve got high hopes for the mid from Bendigo we drafted last year.

Gaff 2010
Sheed 2013

And early days, but I’ve got high hopes for the mid from Bendigo we drafted last year.
Gaff and sheed I wouldn’t rate as amazing mids, Gaff was pretty good but he’s no Cripps/Fyfe/Bont in terms of being a gun at pick 4, I mean Luke Parker at pick 40 has had pretty much the same output as Gaff in his career

Sheed hasn’t really done anything pre and post 2018 finals series.

Harley doesn’t really count as he was the stand out pick 1 and no recruiter on earth could’ve ****ed that one up

Gaff and sheed I wouldn’t rate as amazing mids, Gaff was pretty good but he’s no Cripps/Fyfe/Bont in terms of being a gun at pick 4, I mean Luke Parker at pick 40 has had pretty much the same output as Gaff in his career

Sheed hasn’t really done anything pre and post 2018 finals series.

Harley doesn’t really count as he was the stand out pick 1 and no recruiter on earth could’ve ****ed that one up

You said “decent” not “amazing”.

That’s a pretty high bar. You’re right, we haven’t drafted a Cripps/Fyfe/Bont level mid in a while. Until last year, but we can’t count that.

Not here to hang shit, this was on one of our pages. Not a great look but definitely frustrated.

I’ll edit this & say I think he’s frustrated with Darling as I’d say Cripps called for it & to be fair who hasn’t been frustrated with Jack at times.

Thanks for posting that.
If you stop the clip at 1sec, the open view, have a look where Carlton No. 4, (Hollands?), is coming from & where Kelly is positioned.
Ryan saw Kelly covered, so went for Cripps free.
Kelly perhaps should've blocked Hollands, then we would've been clear.
If Darling doesn't do the work on his player, likely a stoppage.
*Can't blame JD for trying to grab the Ryan handball.....with the way we execute that skill, he probably thought it was meant for him:(

Thanks for posting that.
If you stop the clip at 1sec, the open view, have a look where Carlton No. 4, (Hollands?), is coming from & where Kelly is positioned.
Ryan saw Kelly covered, so went for Cripps free.
Kelly perhaps should've blocked Hollands, then we would've been clear.
If Darling doesn't do the work on his player, likely a stoppage.
*Can't blame JD for trying to grab the Ryan handball.....with the way we execute that skill, he probably thought it was meant for him:(
Yep, Kelly was the worst offender in that clip.
Just before the camera zooms in you see him slowing down to stop.
He could have either kept running to goal providing in I50 option and dragging Hollands with him or put a block on to prevent him getting to the contest. Instead he did neither and just did the spectating part.

Gaff 2010
Sheed 2013

Gaff I rate as an elite wingman (albeit the game has gone past him in the last couple of years :whitecheck:

Sheed has been an average midfielder (C+ grading). Let us not mix up his 2018 GF heroics to what has to be delivered each and every game

That Bendigo kid - I think he will make it. That said, he has played significant minutes in a large number of games which is pretty much elite for a first year player. The fact that he mightn’t have been as good against Cripps on Sunday is no flaw in him

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it a bad look to hire the guy you have to beg to take it?

I’d rather have someone who wants the gig.

I still don’t understand the big attraction to him. If he had never ever stepped foot in our club would we be after him based on him being an assistant coach?
To sentimental for me.

The exact reason I wasn't all that disappointed when he supposedly "pulled out" the 1st time

Will be made out to be a big deal but it really isn't

Plenty of very good candidates around, if anything it means a proper process will occur rather than just handing it to a club legend

Agree. It's naff.

Also, the comment Barrett made about WC approaching both Pyke and Cox as a coaching combo towards the end of last year. Is that something that has since been confirmed or acknowledged by anyone?

I still don’t understand the big attraction to him. If he had never ever stepped foot in our club would we be after him based on him being an assistant coach?
To sentimental for me.

And the counter to that is Pyke has already seen Cox operate as a Coach up close and personal, I would think that would be a very telling reason why Pyke wants him at the helm.

Cant wait until after the GF to talk to Cox, has to be announced within days of the GF at the latest youd think so the new coach can be involved in player movements

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back