Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't blame him. Either stay in Sydney and get literally every advantage handed to you by the AFL under the sun, or apply for a job with a team that's had less than 10 wins in three years with next to no draft picks. Easiest decision to make.

If a new coach comes in there's a fair chance all the assistants will be looking for a new job... I think he'd back himself in if given the opportunity.

I was thinking about that a few days ago. I'd keep Shuey on so he could give the new bloke the ins and outs of the players, but other than that the rest could be marched on.

Ah well, it is what it is. Clearly he doesn’t want this job badly enough so best for both parties that his intentions have been cleared up nice and early.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From the sounds of it, his family is settled in Sydney, his kids are happy and have made friends at school, his wife just started a new business, and he loves being at the Swans in the capacity he currently occupies.

Sounds like he is just not ready to make the sacrifices involved for a senior coaching role at the moment.

Fair play, move on.

I know its impossible to judge from the outside but I was never enamoured by Cox by the way he spoke in the media. Never came across as overly insightful, driven or impactful as a leader. Obviously would have been good to have him in the ring as an option but not too bothered.

Its a shame there is no standout option sitting there - like Sam Mitchell was. Even Simpson was. He had been a champion player, had the best possible apprenticeship at the Hawks over 4 years winning cups under Clarko and a borne leader. Not sure there is someone sitting out there like that and we may have to take abit of a leap of faith.

To be honest, I would nearly have Buckley as my choice. At least you know he is a natural leader and can coach to at least a very good level given he took a side to a GF. I want to avoid us getting a complete flop like rebuilding sides have done in the past (McCarney at Dogs, Neeld at Dees, Bolton at Blues, Primus at Port etc etc), as that really sets you back a couple of years.

It’s a shame he isn’t keen to apply but he’s obviously not ready to be a senior coach right now.

It does remove the element of ‘fait accompli’ that the media immediately declared - as usual based on board strokes of ‘he’s a former champion of that club and is a highly rated assistant’.

Somehow, I don’t think he would have been given the same treatment if it were a vacancy at any other club.

That all said, I do genuinely hope Dean continues to enjoy losing GFs at Sydney. 😏

I know its impossible to judge from the outside but I was never enamoured by Cox by the way he spoke in the media. Never came across as overly insightful, driven or impactful as a leader. Obviously would have been good to have him in the ring as an option but not too bothered.

Its a shame there is no standout option sitting there - like Sam Mitchell was. Even Simpson was. He had been a champion player, had the best possible apprenticeship at the Hawks over 4 years winning cups under Clarko and a borne leader. Not sure there is someone sitting out there like that and we may have to take abit of a leap of faith.

To be honest, I would nearly have Buckley as my choice. At least you know he is a natural leader and can coach to at least a very good level given he took a side to a GF. I want to avoid us getting a complete flop like rebuilding sides have done in the past (McCarney at Dogs, Neeld at Dees, Bolton at Blues, Primus at Port etc etc), as that really sets you back a couple of years.
You want Buckley? He was literally coaching a team that was destined for the bottom 4 underneath him. A 'no name' coach comes along, and they go to the top 4 the next year. You don't usually get such obvious and immediate feedback - Buckley was a terrible, defensive obsessed coach.

You want Buckley? He was literally coaching a team that was destined for the bottom 4 underneath him. A 'no name' coach comes along, and they go to the top 4 the next year. You don't usually get such obvious and immediate feedback - Buckley was a terrible, defensive obsessed coach.

I'm not sold on Buckley at all but he's worth considering. He made a GF and was a Dom Sheed shot on goal from a Premiership. I also think he would be better a second time around like Voss is. Like i said, if there is a minted gold untried assistant sitting there then by all means go for him. I am not sure there is at the moment, maybe it will turn out there is.

All in for Longmire. Throw the kitchen sink at him.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

He's a great coach, no argument here

Not sure the last "recycled" coach that worked out too well though

A new young coach to grow with a young group is the way to go imo. Theres also an argument that someone with no affiliation to the club might be better too (though I don't think it's a huge negative of they're a former player)

He's a great coach, no argument here

Not sure the last "recycled" coach that worked out too well though

A new young coach to grow with a young group is the way to go imo. Theres also an argument that someone with no affiliation to the club might be better too (though I don't think it's a huge negative of they're a former player)

Voss is doing pretty well but agree its rare. Although its a pretty small pool to draw from.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back