Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

3 of the 4 games so far that Schofield's been in charge have, at the very least, been super watchable and entertaining contests that we've had a genuine crack in.

I admit i wrote him off as a candidate after the Saints game, but even that was only one bad half looking back

Has to go through the process, but this small period as interim coach has definitely not hurt his chances at all so far

Schofield presser from after the game was pretty good. He talks about the fact they’ve broken the game down to some simple kpi’s for pressure etc that they’re getting the players to focus on. I wouldn’t be upset if he got a couple of years at the helm to see what he can do.

Schofield presser from after the game was pretty good. He talks about the fact they’ve broken the game down to some simple kpi’s for pressure etc that they’re getting the players to focus on. I wouldn’t be upset if he got a couple of years at the helm to see what he can do.

Two years with an option of a third hopefully ...

Schofield is in the John Todd mould , great coach , tough taskmaster ...Eagles playing on the edge and positional changes of players happening.
Will it be enough ? Is there another Malthouse type coach on the horizon ?

Hard to know who the Eagles will go after , really hard to know .

I've been pretty bullish on Schofield since he took the interim job. Not that we shouldn't cast the net far and wide, but I think a lot of people wrote him off early because for whatever reason people associate caretaker coaches with not being good candidates for a longer term gig.

If there are no standouts this year I think we could do worse than offer Schofield a year. He's at the club already and settled in so he's the only guy who would actually accept a one year contract, and there is no doubt he is at least one of the better candidates for the role, even if he may not be everyone's favourite. In that sense he is the only 'good' candidate who we don't have to commit a minimum of 3 years to off the bat.

One thing that struck me from his presser last night was him saying almost unprompted that he had wanted to throw JW back and was glad he let the assistants talk him out of it. I suspect this probably happens in many coaching boxes anyway, but it shows he will listen, that he hasn't got his head stuck up his own arse and that he shares the credit around. People generally respond well to that and I think we've already seen that the players have taken a liking to his style too.

I expect the club to go through the full process and interview a bunch of potential replacements but I also won't be disappointed if at the end of that they decide Schofield is the man for at least next year.

I always had a sense that Schofield was part of a great (perhaps unintended) succession plan. A good coach, is there better? If so get them, if its marginally I think the building spirit he is part of would be beneficial going into the pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like what I see with Schofield.

Good selections, seems to have footy noise during game day and is willing to throw players around to fill a need.
We have been competitive 3 out of 4 games and there is a good culture building.
Loves the place and wants the job.
Good experience at port and with us.

Ticks all the boxes for me.

Get Joel Selwood to be midfield/stoppage coach
And Scott Selwood as senior coach. If Schofield can win 2 of the next 3 games he will probably get the job.
If we get beaten badly by North Melbourne then he's finished. We have to beat Norf whether at home or in Tasmania.

Love it.

We've gone from corralling to a completely brutal brand of footy.

The change is stark and the players look to have bought in.

Give Schofield the job plz.
Astonishing to see a WCE team playing contested footy. Players in correct positions, young players backed in and responding. Massive road ahead for whoever gets the gig to correct the years of mismanagement.

Yep.Jar you Coxy.You can stay with those losers.
After they flogged us by 171 points last year and rubbed our noses in it, I’ve developed a particular hatred for Sydney. I also abhor Port but I can forgive them after that flogging.Hahaha fu*k you Sydney!
Yes in fleeting moments I realise I may be slightly unhinged!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Back