• Lade

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Hinkley

Votes: 7 7.0%
  • Other

Votes: 29 29.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of Ginbey back, what others have you noticed?

Hunt back.

Maric to a wing (although I think that was set in place before Simpson left)

Trew in the seniors.

They’re the main ones.

Outside of Ginbey back, what others have you noticed?
Trew back in the side, Chesser out to actually find form playing as a mid and not collect 6 disposals on the gimp wing.

Cole to the wing, HJ HB instead of dead wing.

Actually keeping JWilliams in the side(at the expense of Darling for 2 weeks) instead of being sub/dropped.

Duggan's been playing midfield and also seen him at HF a few times.

I'd say Maric wing/back but that was already happening in Simpson's last couple of games.

Those are just off the top of my head.

Jarrad Schofield is a premiership player. He's spent 3 years coaching Subiaco Colts, a year as an assistant at Claremont and then was the senior coach at Subiaco where he won three premierships. He then was an assistant at Port Adelaide for three years, during which they placed 10th... then 1st and 2nd. Not saying he was responsible for Port's rise, but incidentally they dropped down to 11th after he left.

Basically, his credentials are as good as any senior assistance coach going around. They are arguably better than Worsfold's credentials were when he got the job -- 2 premierships as a player and captain, but only 2 years coaching experience at Carlton.

Schofield came to West Coast with an excellent reputation, and was widely tipped to have senior-coaching potential. It feels like he's been tarnished by the last couple of years, which I think is unfair. Ever worked in a job where things were being run like shit? Did you feel like you deserved the blame?

No, a few good wins to the end of the season don't guarantee the permant role. But combine those wins with an excellent resume and Schofield should be the leading candidate. I'm struggling to think of any other candidate that has better credentials, and he now has the benefit of proving that he also win matches when he's sitting in the big chair. And I don't think any other candidate can say that.

This. Its almost like the one thing counting against Schofield is that he has been at the club for a couple of years. I am not sure why working under Simpson and the train wreck led by Nisbett should preclude him from getting the job. He wasnt in charge, just doing what he was told.

The truth is that he's probably one of the best credentialed options out there (even putting aside the last few games).

Gavin Bell on radio today saying that whilst they love what Schofield's done, they still want to go through the full process so they can find the best coach.

Obviously a bit of a fluff statement but at least he seemed very firm on it when saying it.

and so we should. If Jarrad is the best candidate he will win out.

Hunt back.

Maric to a wing (although I think that was set in place before Simpson left)

Trew in the seniors.

They’re the main ones.

Trew back in the side, Chesser out to actually find form playing as a mid and not collect 6 disposals on the gimp wing.

Actually keeping JWilliams in the side(at the expense of Darling for 2 weeks) instead of being sub/dropped.

I'd say Maric wing/back but that was already happening in Simpson's last couple of games.

Chesser out, Darling dropped, Jones dropped, not so keen on Rotham, many changes in fact for a short time mid season, playing Dewar, Johnston and Hall

Yep, good mentions.

Don't take my post as being doubtful, I wanted to know what else you guys saw.

The Cole one I'm unsure if he's actually starting on the wing or just pushing further up the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, good mentions.

Don't take my post as being doubtful, I wanted to know what else you guys saw.

The Cole one I'm unsure if he's actually starting on the wing or just pushing further up the ground.
He started on the wing vs North a number of times and Schofield mentioned after the GC game that he wanted him to play further up the ground more/wing.

Do we know who we are interviewing for the coaching role? Names mentioned that haven't said no, but unsure if being interviewed.
  • Jarred Schofield - Know Background
  • Ash Hansen - Know Background
  • Brett Montgomery
    • GWS last 2 years
    • Port Adelaide for 4 years
    • Giants - 10 months
    • Melbourne Grammer - Director of Footy - 2 years
    • Senior Assistant at Dogs - 6 years
    • Assistant - Blues - 3 years
  • Hayden Skipworth
    • The 41-year-old has completed a long and deliberate apprenticeship since winding up his playing career in 2009.
      After several years at Essendon, Skipworth has been with the Magpies since 2020, working across a range of different areas in order to expand his knowledge and experience.
  • Ken Hickley
    • We know his background
  • Daniel Giansiracusa
    • Assistant who is believed to have come close to a senior role when part of the process to replace Damien Hardwick last year, Daniel is currently working under Brad Scott at the Bombers.
  • Danny Daly
    • Current GM of Footy at Brisbane Lions
    • Previous 4 years - Head of Head of Strategy at Lions
    • 20 years of roles (coaching & administration) at Pies, North and Richmond
    • Never played footy at the highest level, pre AFL industry was Accountant, Branch Manager & Company Relations Manager at Westpac & The Bank of Melbourne
ANYONE ELSE?

Our consistency of effort is still really poor.

OK first quarter. Fell off a cliff after the first 5-10 minutes of the second quarter until about 5 minutes to go in the third. Put in a massive shift in the 4th.

On the positive side Schofield seems to have been able to address this in game, which is something Simmo hasn't been able to do since 2018. Even when we were winning a chunk of games we would either be "on" and win comfortably or be "off" and play with total apathy.

I only watched live from midway through the third but caught up on the full game last night. Was very surprised as I'd assumed we'd been terrible before that but that wasn't the case at all.

We basically came out strong and were in the lead through to the mid point of the second, then nothing much changed other than Oscar, Jake and a few others missing multiple shots on goal [like 5 of 6 gettable shots] while North converted their opportunities. Jake could have easily been on 4 or 5 goals and Oscar 3 by the main break, its tough conditions for goal kickers though down there.

Then midway through the third Waterman converted and it started a run where we kicked straight and North started missing, and in the end the difference is 15.12 to 14.13 which is basically a difference of 1 kick being straighter for us than them.

There was no fade off whatsoever, certainly no falling off the cliff. Both sides were peppering the goals all day and there was an ebb and flow on conversion for about a quarter where we got out to something like 3.8 and some before luck swung back out way. Certainly needing to kick 3 in the last 2 minutes means we probably should have lost in a close finish but North got to that lead through ridiculous umpiring at the death trying to manufacture a win for them.

Efficiency was a weird one, if anything it seemed we were wasteful up forward and had a lot of almost marks and shots from Jake. North missed a lot as well particularly Curtis, we were undermanned in defence though and difference was basically Gov being an all time defender.

Whilst Schofield may have the capacity to coach, I'm still not sold and very wary of the interim coach, i'm very much of the opinion we need a fresh face, but will back in the club with whatever decision they make.

Our two wins have been against Gold Coast who hadn't won away all season and North Melbourne in a game where we got smashed in every stat across the board and they're not exactly an amazing team, i would of had us as a chance against them with Simmo still on board. I admire the job he is doing and things he has put in place, but at the moment, whilst he has the buy in from the players he has had shown no evidence of a game plan other than bombing it long and winning individual contests which isn't sustainable (I understand thus will take time, but its something he should have to sell to the committee not just get the job as we have won a couple games)

We may even win against Carlton at home with the amount injuries they had but got to put it all in perspective, he needs to go through the process and convince the board, if and when he does that i will give him my full support.

He will go through the process, why do people still think he wont have to go through the process. The process has been put in place and all candidates will go through it unless we head hunt a Chris scott or someone like him.

A game plan like Simpson’s ‘win the contest’ - nothing terribly complex or difficult about that.

Schofield seems to be a much better and more flexible game day coach than our last two coaches at least.

He also seems to have pre game plans for the opposition which weren’t evident previously if they did exist.

‘Getting to a premiership’ - that’s very ambitious from the low base that we are starting from.
Surely, we just have to become more consistently competitive, develop recruits, and win a few games before we start thinking about premierships. A baby has to crawl before it walks etc.

Contesting for finals in the next three years might be a reasonable goal. We are a long way from a premiership.
I know winning a premiership is the ultimate goal but we are a long, long way from that.

Developing a credible list and a credible game precede any thought about premierships.
All I'm saying is just because Schofield gets the guys motivated for the last few games of the year where we have beaten a team who hasn't won an away game in 2 years and a team lower than us on the ladder(we were fortunate here) both who are out of finals, doesnt mean he's the ideal candidate to take the job.

Ash Hansen or Montgomery could also have had the capability to do what Schofield did.

People are jumping the gun a bit here

Jarrad Schofield is a premiership player. He's spent 3 years coaching Subiaco Colts, a year as an assistant at Claremont and then was the senior coach at Subiaco where he won three premierships.
Not to mention, he was robbed of winning 5 flags in a row. The 2 grand finals he lost were both to Peel who had something like 15 Fremantle players playing on grand final day.

And if that's not enough, his last season at Subiaco was an undefeated premiership.

The bloke can coach.

Trew swap with Chesser isn't a huge call.
HJ was playing half back in the WAFL for a while I'm pretty sure.
JWilliams isn't a huge call either.
Duggan just swapped with Ginbey. Big call? Maybe, but it's 1 call not 2 calls. Duggan was already a contributor in the midfield at stages anyway.
Swapped Hunt and Cole. Hunt played at half back early in the season but it's a change.
Maric was wing under Simmo.

So it's 2 position swaps and dropping Chesser for Trew. A little more priority on the kids as he's not coaching to save his career too.

Idk he hasn't changed a whole lot tactically for me

All I'm saying is just because Schofield gets the guys motivated for the last few games of the year where we have beaten a team who hasn't won an away game in 2 years and a team lower than us on the ladder(we were fortunate here) both who are out of finals, doesnt mean he's the ideal candidate to take the job.

Ash Hansen or Montgomery could also have had the capability to do what Schofield did.

People are jumping the gun a bit here

I think you are jumping the gun, you are thinking the club will listen to us fans when we all know there will be a process that all candidates have to go through.
You need to stop worrying that we will appoint a coach without going through the process.

If Schofield was not at the club his credentials would have him way on top of every single assistant out there.

I myself would like him to be given the opportunity, but if it turns out he doesn't get it after the process then so be it.

You need to stop worrying about , we all have an opinion and this is where to put that opinion out there. You don't think schofield, I do. And thats all ok. We all don't need to agree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach Coach for 2025

Back